Stomach pain on drinking water, etc. on empty stomach
For decades now, I have always experienced a stomach (or RUQ?) pain when I drink anything, any temperature, on an empty stomach.  It lasts at least 3-5 minutes, sometimes longer.  Makes drinking water at night pretty bad, since it really jars me out of sleep.  Has anyone else had this, on or off tx?  My docs have not been able to explain it, and usually dismiss it.
Maj Neni
i have had a similiar experience. I have drank excessive water very frequently and often i experience bloating and stomach pains. I am a fifteen year old girl and i'm not sure if this is an emergency or a run of the mill illness but if you could help, my email is ***@****

thanks!
It sounds like gastritis, ulcers or stomach acidity problems to me. Something in that line. My eldest son (24) has had the same for some years. He also gets stomach cramps and vomiting sometimes. They finally found out that he has an acidity problem and it is not easy to regulate, fortunately no ulcers.  He gets medications when it is bad, usually taking them for about two weeks, until things are neutralized.  He is careful about not eating certain foods and juices which cause more acidity and is trying to eat a more whole food whole grain diet. Also he needs to eat a little at all times to keep the balance of acidity.

Don't know if this helped.

Marcia

I have read your other post. You should see a doctor.

Marcia
I get that too:

After drinking too much water (not all at once, over time) I experience stomach pains, sometimes just the left side, sometimes the whole stomach. I think it's an acidic stomach thing, or pressure of water on the area. Doesn't happen that often, I make sure I don't over drink. Do people think my stomach is sensitive? It's happen occasionaly for at least 10 years.
I have the same experience and doctors don't seem to know what causes it.  I am a 61 yr old woman.  I had my gallbladder removed about 8 wks ago and a scoping to remove another stone and palup a week later.  Now in addition to the knawing pain in central stomach, I have URQ spasms that go through to the back that feel like a cross between a charlie horse & getting the wind knocked out of me at the same time.  They happen most often after drinking water to take my Prylosec pill in the morning.  Sometimes they happen other times too.  My husband called 911 the first time it happened cause I couldn't catch my breath.  It lasted about 2-3 minutes and subsided, we called off the ambulance.  Does this sound like your pain?
no one can tell just from that desription. You could have 50 different things.

the water is triggering something, whether it is extra hydrocloric acid, bile, a nervous condition, ulcer, or many other things....only a doctor can ascertain which this is for you.

In one case I know of the woman was actually allergic to water. No doctor believed it until they tried putting droplets of cold water on her skin...and watched her blow up like a blowfish. However this is extremely rare, a hundred things are more likely.

Do not take this lightly, you may have an ulcer or something that needs timely treatment.  Also if your water is too alkaline it can trigger overproduction of stomach acid.  See if you get the same reaction from distilled water to check for this.

then get to doctor, your symptoms are very serious:

here's an article that kind of sums things up

Stomach Pain

Sometimes, people see their doctors for stomach pain that they think is caused by an ulcer, but it isn't. Although you may have gnawing upper abdominal pain, diagnostic tests don't reveal an ulcer or other digestive problem.As the name suggests, upper stomach pain is a pain experienced in the upper portion of the belly region. There can be a number of reasons for the occurrence of this type of pain. It can be quite severe, long-lasting and chronic at times, while at other times it can be merely a short lived condition. However, the exact location of the pain determines its root cause.

What is abdominal pain?

Ordinarily, we are unaware of any of the actions of the organs in the abdomen or any discomfort from activities such as eating, movement of food through the intestines, or bowel movements. Nerves are constantly monitoring activities in the body, and when those messages are transmitted to the brain and come into consciousness as unpleasant sensations, we may sense pain or discomfort.

Causes and Symptoms Of Upper Stomach Pain

Abdominal pain is caused by inflammation (for example, appendicitis, diverticulitis, colitis ), by stretching or distention of an organ (for example, obstruction of the intestine, blockage of a bile duct by gallstones, swelling of the liver with hepatitis), or by loss of the supply of blood to an organ (for example, ischemic colitis).

Respiratory symptoms
In over 90% of patients with sarcoidosis, whether or not they show outward signs of the disease, abnormalities almost always show up on a chest x-ray. These include swelling and inflammation of the lymph nodes (lymphadenopathy) in the chest and, less commonly, a mottled (having colored spots and blotches) appearance to the lungs.

Stomach Ulcer

Stomach ulcer, also called gastric ulcer literally to an ulcer occurring in the wall of the stomach. This often happens due to erosion of the lining of the wall of the stomach and the formation of an ulcer crater.

Swollen lymph nodes (adenopathy)
There are two sets of thoracic lymph nodes that are commonly affected: the hilar (where the bronchial tubes enter the lungs) and mediastinal (the region in the center of the chest just outside of the lungs).

Gastritis

Gastritis is inflammation of the wall of the stomach. This causes irritation and mild erosion, but no ulcer. It often follows period of stress, or excessive consumption of alcohol or binge drink.

Treatments Of upper Stomach pain

Medication
to contol acids or nervous reactions

Surgery
The extent of surgery depends on the extent of the disease. Endoscopic mucosal resection may be used to treat early stomach cancer (i.e., tumor smaller than 3 cm that has not invaded beyond the innermost layer of the stomach lining [submucosa]). This procedure involves removing only the tumor and surrounding tissue.

Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy involves using drugs to destroy cancer cells. This treatment may be used after surgery to destroy remaining cancer cells and prevent recurrence (adjuvant treatment). Chemotherapy drugs may be administered orally or through an IV (i.e., through a vein) and treatment often is administered on an outpatient basis.

mb