Hepatitis C Community
Study - Resveratrol significantly enhanced replication of hepatitis C v...

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Study - Resveratrol significantly enhanced replication of hepatitis C virus

Abstract Link:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20066737
Full Text Link
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2806556/?tool=pubmed

In vitro study, not In vivo.  

RESULTS: This is the first report to investigate the effect of RVT and AXN on HCV replication. In contrast to other reported viruses, RVT significantly enhanced HCV RNA replication. Vitamin E also enhanced HCV RNA replication as reported previously, although AXN did not affect replication. IFN and RBV significantly reduced HCV RNA replication, but these effects were dose-dependently hampered and attenuated by the addition of RVT. AXN did not affect antiviral effects of IFN or RBV.

CONCLUSION: These results suggested that RVT is not suitable as an antioxidant therapy for chronic hepatitis C.

There goes the red wine again.  Can a re-look at coffee be far behind?
Is this the same stuff I hear about on Sunday morning infomercials? Never knew anyone took any of that seriously. Thanks for the link!

RBW
If you look at the full study I believe that they state that resveratrol may be beneficial as a supplement for those without HCV.  However, when tested (in vitro) with HCV it seemed to give results which would worsen the condition.  They also note that several other antioxidants seem to be helpful.
Yes, I seem to remember this is the stuff that's in red wine from the infomercials. Of course, you know they advertise it as curing everything from the common cold to brain cancer, so I guess that's why I never paid that much attention to it - figured it was just more snake oil.

Quite interesting to see it evaluated in a professional manner.
Wonderful, NOT!  I was taking a supplement previously while off of treatment that contained a bit of Resveratrol, remember HR's regimen?  I did not use all of his recommendations, but did remember Resveratrol was in there.  I haven't used the CocoPure for about 9 mon-1 yr now, because of the expense, but I did use it for a good period of time and it had a small bit of Resveratrol in it.  CocoPure is the pure cocoa/green tea (tasted real good, too).  I wish I had known that it could make the virus replicate!!  I even told Trin  about it, too!  Now, I feel guilty about that!  Of course, I had no idea about this study at that time though, or I wouldn't have been using the CocoPure either.  I  did not use it on TX though.

Susan400
This has come up before and we are fortunate enough to have an answer in the past from HR.  I sure wouldn't take resveratrol while I was on TX but I would most certainly take it as an anti-fibrotic if you are waiting for a drug combo that will cure you and as a way to heal your liver after SVR.  It has been discussed here many times that the extreme war going on in the liver, by the immune system, trying to overcome a virus that, once chronic, generally can't be beat on it's own, is what is causing the damage to your liver.  It is your own bodie' protest that is beating up this vital organ.  If you are a non-responder, you want to calm things down, not heat things up.  It has taken me a long time to really start to grasp this.  Whatever small Increases it possibly could cause, it isn't the point because, unless your on TX, the virus isn't going anywhere.(Not including miracles which I do believe sometimes happen)  Keeping your body happily coping with the virus is the key if you aren't in a position to kick it out.  
Hep Tech supplements include a high quality and very pure form of resveratrol because it is a really good anti-fibrotic and that is what you need if you can't kill the virus dead or if it has already done a number on your liver.
If you can't kill the virus, you have to invite it in for coffee.  Don't antagonize it until you are ready to annihilate it... ssshhh!.... don't let it know your plans.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
by Hepatitis Researcher, Apr 22, 2010 06:45PM
To: evangelinVitamin D2- yes D2- has surprisingly shown to be of a stronger antifibrotic acitivity in stellate cell assays than D3 (AASLD and HEPDART ). This has nothing to do with the general health benefits of Vit D3. I would not use beta carotene or linoleic acid, rather omega3s or Polyenylphosphatitylcholine (PPC).

It is unfortunately not possible to give a rational priority between Curcumin and Resveratrol as potentially effective antifibrotics/antiinflammatory compounds  in the liver context.
The in vitro study mentioned above by Willig generates  some uneasy feelings regards Resveratrol, because the expression of 3 theoretical profibrotic genes in an in vitro human stellate cell line has been increased, but it is entirely unclear if this has meaning in the in vivo setting.There is other research pointing in the opposite direction.
Human patient studies regarding antifibrosis with these natural compounds, comparing them side by side, are not likely to happen, since these studies are very costly.