Hepatitis C Community
Substandard Canadian Health Care

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Substandard Canadian Health Care

Hi everyone:

I really really need to vent before I blow up....

I tested positive for Hep C in May, was sent to lab for VL and Geno, waited 3 weeks no results...My family physician's receptionist as well as my physician basically told me to stop calling them when the results come back they will let me know...Well being an aggressive person I called the Health Unit (equivelant to Dept of Health in States) and asked for their help...After snooping around they discovered that no one at the lab in Toronto (which is where they do that kind of "special sophisticated" stuff) understood what the requesition wanted so they disregarded it...

On June 22nd I had the test done again, again they send it off to Toronto...I have been on Holiday for the past two weeks and today I called my family physician to get results and they said it's not here yet, well it's now over a month since I was tested for the second time...Again, called the Health Unit, they said I am not on the system in Toronto and they may be backed up because it's summer time and people take Holidays'...as you can imagine now I am enraged...

I called my husband, he's a Provincial cop here and I asked him to call the Hospital to try and track down the paper work to see where the heck my blood went...He called the Hospital Administrator and of course he/she is on Holiday...In the  meantime the Health Unit called me back and said they talked to the lab at the Hospital and they never sent my blood anywhere, said the req was cancelled by my doctor...

I called my Doctor he calims he never cancelled it
I'm fine. Had my 6 month PCR in Feburary and am negative. Hope and pray I can say that after a year.

Mattie
that's great to hear...I hope and pray you are too!
That sucks.  I'm sorry to hear about all the adminstrative problems you're running into.  It's bad enough to deal with something as stressful as a dx or tx or sx or a bx (have I covered all the x-words? :) ), but then to deal with stupid stuff like lost samples and/or lost or cancelled paperwork.  I hope you're able to track it down and get it taken care of soon.  Too bad you have to be the one to do it instead of the people whose job it is.

My mom suffers from hemachromatosis.  They did a liver bx and managed to lose the sample, but never told her.  She kept hounding them and hounding them for the results, but they were always vague.  BTW they figured it all out, she had to do another bx.  Then they didn't take enough of a sample.  So she did a third.  Crappy, huh?

Anyway, I understand your need to vent.  I would be just as angry in your shoes.  I just hope they get you the results soon.
holy smoke that's awful ...  your poor mom having to go through that test more than once....was this in Canada?
That is unbelievable!! I hope you can nail that a$%#! dr's a** to the wall!!!
rearfang....it seems as though the Hospital may be to blame...They are saying it clearly reads on my file "do not complete test"...now we just have to find out who wrote that and why...as I said before, my husband is a cop and has enquired about it so I hope someone takes notice and we get answers...
When you to are talking to each other, it makes me hungry!
well as long as it doesn't make you horny  hehehehe  oops did I say that, must of been my evil twin....lol

thanks for the humor I most definately needed that...
I'm Canadian too but never experienced your problems. All my lab work went through smoothly although it seems our PCR results take alot longer to get than our buds in the States. My Internist and GP were useless, so I basically never really bothered with them. (3 months into tx my Internist asked me if I was ready to start....second time out of three that I spoke to the man).

Hope everything gets resolved for you quickly.

Mattie
how are you doing now?
that's exactly what scares the *%^& out of me, the lack of interest from the health care workers...and the incompetance too...how can you be on treatment and tehy ask you if your ready to start...where do they get these so called professionals?

Are you in Ontario?
Actually, we're in California.  The liver sample was sent to Mayo Clinic in Arizona.  I think the mistake happened on our medical center's side, though, and not Mayo's...though I'm not sure.
No, I am in B.C. That Internist is the same doctor who misdiagnosed my husband last June, so I distrusted him from the get-go. I always picked up my lab work personally and was able to monitor myself so didn't need the jerk. When we had to go to Vancouver and I was still on tx, the transplant team who were treating my husband also showed me alot of compassion and care and I knew that if I tanked, they would be the ones to help me. Thankfully, I managed to get through it all with no major problems and sides. Actually, I have a hard time even remembering it sometimes, that's got to be a bonus!!!

Mattie
It always amazes me how little consideration and empathy some (not all) medical professionals have toward the sick.

You're right -- the next step is to track down and find out who wrote  "do not complete test" and why?

After that, I'd check with whatever lab is doing the tests prior to having blood drawn -- and make sure their protocol is being followed. Then, I'd get a number for a supervisor and track the sample from doctor's office to lab. Unfortunatly, you sometimes have to do these things yourself because no one else in the system seems to give a sh*t.

Let's hope you only have the anti-bodies and that your body spontaneously cured itself. That happens quite a lot.
what's a drawing center?
a drawing center or Laboratory for drawing your sample, I guess is the same.  It sounds like an alternative, but what a bummer that you have to resort to that due to such imcompetence.  I hope you can track down the "god" who decided on your medical fate, and make him/her answer for the action taken. I love to see justice done.
cuteusbelleusat yahoo is what my original nickname was, I shortened it to cuteus out of laziness, are you using the full name?

I asked my PCP for bloodwork on my RA factor and he did not give me a script. I am thinking of returning to the rheumy who found my hep c status for a complete autoimmune workup.  NO more Cheries and shrimp for you if it comes back negative, ok?

Is Susan getting her ultrasound results? is that what you referred to? too long to wait!
cuteusbelleus at yahoo gets returned to you also? that should go through even if you are considered bulk mail or spam. check every letter, it should go. if not let me know and I will check the other site when I get home.
leaving work now.
It's a particularly cruel finale to our never-ending struggle to have a family.

No heartbeat today.

The doctor wants us to do one more ultrasound next Thursday ("just in case") before making plans for a D&C.

Thanks again for all your support and good wishes.  

Susan

check your email, I answered it.

Susan; can't find any words to express the feelings, what a sad moment that must have been, at the completion of the sonogram...sad silence.
but it is not over yet.
Thank you Ivette.  Unfortunately, it really is over.  The embryo had only grown 3 mm. in 10 days.  It should have grown three times that amount.  On top of that, there were signs of "disintegration"  occuring in the gestational sac.  The ultrasound next week is simply protocol before ordering a D&C.  The doctor made it pretty clear that there's no reasonable hope in this case.

Susan
have you given it a thought to rid yourself of the damn virus and try again afterwards? you still would be young enough.  My mouth fell open when I came accross Joan Lunden, was it?, having babies after 50!  You have such a low VL, it might be a 1,2,3 punch! perhaps one of the ongoing trials? i am sure you must have thought about it at some point.  I thought about you when I saw that magazine cover with her and two sets of twins at 54!
I hope you find some solace to your pain soon.
Ivette, I actually did think about tx when I read the thread about Geno 1's with low VL treating for 24 weeks.  But no one, except jmjm530, seemed to think it was worth pursuing.

I just turned 46 this past Tuesday.  The standard 48-week treatment course, and then another 6 months (mimimum) to get the riba out of my system, just seems too daunting a prelude to pregnancy at my age.

Ina, thank you for sharing such a personal story with me (and the world!). I'm sure it's been a very difficult journey to come to terms with not being wanted by your own mother.  It's hard for me to understand how a woman (or a man, for that matter), could withhold love from a child they brought into the world.

You mentioned adoption in a prior post.  We went down that road before I was diagnosed with HCV.  Unfortunately, the birthmother changed her mind a week before the baby (a boy) was born.  By that time, we had already set up an entire nursery.  One of my cats now sleeps in the crib and the other cat sleeps in the basinet.  How pathetic, huh?

To add insult to injury....now that I have been diagnosed with HCV, I can't adopt in the state of Ohio until I treat and achieve SVR. The state won't approve a new homestudy (our old one expired a year ago) of someone with HCV or HIV.  

I feel like every door is closed.  That's what's so hard to come to terms with.  However, having said that, it's just not in my nature to wallow in self-pity too long.  Life is too short to dwell on the things we don't have.  I have much to be grateful for and I have an interesting life to live.  

Someone on another thread used this phrase to describe how they felt about hope:  "Hope is a dangerous thing...it never fails to disappoint."  That really caught my eye and I've been tempted to make it my creedo after yesterday's ultrasound.  

But that's not how I feel.  I don't ever want to lose hope and be bitter.  As a Christian, I have everything that matters and a lot of things that don't.  Who could ask for more?

Ina, I'm sorry that your RA test came back positive.  However, a 50-point drop seems pretty significant to me.  It's moving in the right direction and perhaps will continue to fall.  Let's all be hopeful for that.

Ina and Ivette....you gals are wonderful.  Thank you so much for your kindess and support.

Susan

how about fostering  an infant? do they have the same criteria?
When I lived in Ohio, I found it to be a "backward" state in  the management of many of its programs. None of the other states I lived in, VT, NJ, CA, NY had such asinine rules. MOve? 48 is not too old to have a babe. Heck, I was thinking about it at 51!
Hope does light the way somehow, even when dissapointing you.
best to you
Quite frankly, I'm a little bit leery about fostering -- although I'm not ruling it out entirely.  A year or so ago, I met with the person who oversees foster parenting in our county and she handed me a brochure that addressed some of the behaviors that might occur with foster kids.  Things like abusing pets, setting things on fire, and trying to act out sexually with the foster parent.  Wow...where do I sign up?  

I realize that someone needs to step up to the plate and help these  children.  I just don't know if my husband and I are up for the kinds of challenges that might be involved.  I think it takes a special kind of person with a true calling to help in this way. So far, I haven't heard that call.

You're probably right about Ohio.  I haven't compared its adoption laws to other states, but it wouldn't surprise me if it tends to be more restrictive than other places. Moving isn't an option since my  husband owns and operates a small business that employs 30 people.  There's no way he'd want to start over somewhere else.

We'll be okay.  I'm not sure I'm ready to totally give up the quest to become a parent via embryo adoption/gestational surrogacy.  Just because it didn't work out this time, doesn't mean it couldn't work in the future.  I just need some time to lick my wounds before formulating "Plan Z".

Have a good weekend,
Susan
Hello -- I just want you to know that I am so terribly sorry for your most recent heartache. You have been through so much hope and sadness in your desire to be a parent. It is a continued testament to the inner strength you carry with you that you are able to handle this with such grace. Reading your post in which you speak of all you have to be thankful for is very moving. I do still visualize you as a parent someday, in some way -- I just wish that this will happen sooner rather than later for you.  I have to believe that someone as wonderful as you with such a deep desire to have a child will one day have this dream fullfilled. My thoughts are with you and your husband as you move forward. I send love and care your way.
Thank you so much for such kind words.  I really appreciate them.  My husband and I are actually doing okay.  We've had lots of practice at this kind of disappointment!  

I've mentioned many times that I'm a Christian and one of the prayers I've often prayed goes something like this:  "Lord, if it's not your will for us to be parents, we're willing to accept that.  But if that's the case, please at least take away our desire to be parents."

Well, our desire is as strong as ever so I don't think we're ready to call it quits.  Until God removes that desire, we're going to keep trying.  In fact, we're already talking about our next attempt with donor embryos and a gestational surrogate.  It will probably take until November to pull everything together to do that.

Either way, whatever the future holds, my husband and I are going to be fine.  Although we both want a child more than anything else in the world, we're not going to let our joy be solely contigent on achieving that goal.  Happiness is a choice, as they say.

By the way, did your son make it back from camp in one piece?  That's one thing about parenthood that I don't look forward to....the constant worrying about their safety and well-being.  I remember chuckling a little bit when you shared your concerns about him being eaten by a shark.  I'd be the same way if I had a 13-year-old!

Well, thank you again for your lovely note.  

Susan
Yes, we have changed our minds.  Many people have success on the first try with frozen embryo transfers.  Our clinic actually has a very good success rate -- about 60 percent result in live births. Another clinic we used had a 70 percent success rate. Our bad luck is inexplicable -- and maddening.

But my husband and I both know in our hearts that we aren't done trying (in spite of earlier declarations of "This is it.").  I've aways been known for my persistence, so I guess I'm staying true to form.

Hope you're doing okay, Ina.  It's really great having you as a regular poster to this forum.

Susan
Ina, Ina, Ina....you didn't offend me!!  I was trying to figure out a snappy comeback to your prior post (...something like, "Are you potty trained?"), but everything seemed lame, so I didn't post right away.  Ina, I don't lose my sense of humor when tragedy strikes, so don't ever feel bad about trying to tickle my funny bone.  It needs tickling.

Your friend always  :)
Susan