Hepatitis C Community
Support the American Liver Foundation

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Support the American Liver Foundation

Although, I have been visiting here for over 2 years, this is my first posting.

The American Liver Foundation is having six "Football Walks For Liver Wellness" around the country.  They are the largest non-profit organization that spends $.82 per dollar on awareness, education, and much needed research.  Please click on the link below to support, or to see if there is a walk in your area.  The site is set up nicely with a "Invite Others To Donate" button that makes it easy for our family and friends that would like to help us but didn't know how.  If you live in the Philadelphia area, please join me for a 5K walk in Fairmont Park September 9th.

https://www.active.com/donate/footballwalkdv/Dragonslayers1

A little about me:

I was diagnosed in 2004 during a routine physical, I had no symptoms at all.
Viral load: 500,000
ALT and AST: around 300
Platelets: 99,000
Biopsy: Cirrhosis, with iron staining

I did 48 weeks of 180mc of Pegasys and 1200mg riba, and 20 shots of Procrit and relapsed 3 months post TX.
I'm now on week 30 of 72 weeks of the same.  I'm one of the lucky ones, my sides are minimal even though I've been anemic from the beginning.

Thanks and please support ALF.
Bill
I'm on 49 of 72 - welcome to the tough guy club Bill!  ;)

First course of treatment but 1A and 1B didn't UND until after 12 and before 24.

If anything, we know how important our livers really ARE so you are in the right place!

:)
bill, two yrs and you have held your tongue!? i always admire people that do that!
good luck on that second round!
Thanks for the post Bill and keep us posted on how the second go around with tx works.

As you've been around awhile, you've undoubtly seen that we're somewhat similar in being fortunate to not experience alot of the sx's so many seem to have to endure.  Although I'm still battling through my first go at tx, it hasn't been easy but I think it does emphasis how important the proper riba dosage is for this tx.

My concern right now is that should I reach UND on this go around, that I may very well wind up relapsing such as yourself given how tough it has been for me to get VL under control.  Which is why I have an extreme interest in seeing how the second round works for you.

I recently met someone at our MN HepFest who went through 5 rounds of tx before finally slaying the dragon.  Not that I wish that type of endurance on anyone, but I think that it does demonstrate that persistance can pay off.

It is good to see and learn of events working to increase public awareness because I do not think it is well understood just how pervasive the HCV epidemic is because of the silence many keep due to the IVDU stigma associated with it.  I feel that anything we can do, even if it is to testify at treatment centers, prisons, homeless shelters, etc. to increase awareness is all for the good, if not for us at least for those who follow.
Thanks nygirl, I'm very familiar with your battle.  As I mentioned I've been around for a while (daily) so I do know most everyone well.

cuteus, I'm an info hound and comb over many sites as a part of my daily routine before work, so I have limited time to wag my tongue.  I will start sharing info that slips by here, which isn't much.  That's a good thing!

GrandOak, I understand your concern and seems that svr is the luck of the draw.  All you can do is take all of your meds and think positive thoughts and hope for svr.  I'm a believer that during the time you are taking interferon your liver is getting a break.  In my case my platelets are higher and my iron levels are normal and I feel better and more active than some people not treating.  You are right about awareness, a couple years ago I never heard about hep c.  After watching a few episodes of Earl on TV, I figured it's time to change my karma and get involved. :)

Kalio, hang in there, I'll be following you to the finish line.
Thanks, Bill, for posting this info.  I live in Florida, so I wrote ALF and asked if any Walks are being done down this-a-way.  We'll see what happens.

I'm there with you, all who can make a local Walk.  Do good, get a team of walkers or sponsors and YOU GO!
Welome to the forum. It's always nice to see new folks or those who normally don't post post. Thanks for the information on the Liver Foundation fund raisers. Like NYGirl I too am doing 72 weeks, 3a VL 700,000 tx 24 weeks relapsed am now treating again, have about 7 months to go. Hope you are feeling pretty good glad you decided to join in.
There's going to be a walk in Tampa put on by the American Liver Foundation's Gulf Coast Chapter.  "Walk the River for your Liver" is the name.  It will be held September 30 at the University of Tampa, along downtown's riverfront.

Anyone on here want to walk with me on this one?

You may register online at www.active.com, "individual sports", "find an event", then type in "Liver Walk 2006" with zip code of 33614.

I hope to meet some of you face to face.