Hepatitis C Community
Swollen tongue anyone

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Swollen tongue anyone

My tongue got swollen like 3 weeks ago and its still swollen. I have been looking at the internet and it looks alot like Oral Hairy Leukoplakia. Has anyone had swollen tongue before treatment. I'm very scared with this. It swollen and it has white trails but very very little it look like thrust on the side of my tongue. It has lumps but not white lumps near my throat it has very light white things.

Is this Hairy Leukoplakia?

It hurt at first but now it doesn't hurt.

Please help with this.....
If you read further down you will come across a condition called Glossitis.  I'm not saying that is what you have, it doesn't mention a swollen tongue.  The other thing that you mention I didn't look up.  The biggest question is, why don't you see a doctor?  That way you will know for sure, and it may not have anything at all to do with HepC.  
God Bless

Introduction
Hepatitis C affects different people in different ways. Your personal experience with hepatitis C will be as unique as you are. This chapter reviews the most common signs and symptoms experienced by people with chronic hepatitis C. At first glance, the mere length of the chapter may appear overwhelming. But keep in mind, this is just a list of possibilities. If you have any of the signs or symptoms described in this chapter, it is important that you do not assume they are a result of having hepatitis C. Your health care provider can determine if they are associated with your hepatitis C. Very few people experience all of these signs and symptoms. Many of them will come and go on their own. For troublesome and/or persistent problems, there are things you and your health care provider can do to
either make them go away, or make them easier to live with. You may be wondering what the difference is between a sign and a symptom. A sign is an abnormality that is detected by your health care provider during an examination. A symptom is something you, as a person with hepatitis C, experience because of the virus. Signs and symptoms are discussed together because sometimes a sign is also a symptom. Fever is a good example of something that is both a
sign and a symptom. Your health care provider can take your temperature and find out that you have a fever, so it is a sign. But if you have a fever, you can tell you have a fever because your skin is warm, so fever is also a symptom.
There are three sections following this introduction. The first section briefly explains how the hepatitis C virus causes disease. The second section reviews possible signs and symptoms that people with hepatitis C who do not have cirrhosis may experience. The last section reviews additional signs and symptoms that people with hepatitis C who have cirrhosis may experience.

Bruising
Cirrhosis can lead to a deficiency in vitamin K. This can lead to easy bruising. If you are experiencing easy bruising, tell your health care
provider because this symptom can often be reversed with appropriate treatment.

Caput Medusae
Caput medusae refers to enlarged, visible veins that start at the navel and spread out and up over the abdomen. They are caused by portal
hypertension.

Gastroesophageal Varices
Gastroesophageal varices are another complication of portal hypertension. These varices are enlarged, fragile veins found where the
esophagus (the tube that takes food from your mouth to your stomach) meets the stomach. These veins can burst and bleed. If you have
cirrhosis and begin to vomit blood, you must call an ambulance and get to an emergency room as soon as possible to get the bleeding
stopped.

Glossitis
Glossitis is a sore tongue. If you have glossitis, your tongue will be redder than usual and will be sensitive to salty and sour foods, and
carbonated beverages.
my tongue feels like it's way too big for my mouth. I started treatment for hepc a little over 3 weeks ago and the whole left side of my tongue feels all cut up but it has liek white soar type things. i thought i may be biting it becausei was just put on an anti-depressant before treatment as well and i read that tight jaw and biting may be a side effect from that, but i just don't know what it is, but it hurts to chew and with an already diminishing appetite, it does not help eating..
I have had a swollen tongue on and off since last Nov. I did ask my primary care physician about it, it had ridges alongside the tongue and was swollen and also felt raw and enlarged...she didn't think it was too bad she said sometimes it will happen depending on what you eat and drink, and thought maybe due to antibiotics, I had a sinus infection,     . there have been a few times where it was very painful, I rinse with warm salt water and that seems to help. You may want to go in and have it checked, it could also be something called thrush which babies get but so can adults if taking antibiotics..for a couple of days it was so swollen i couldn't talk, my husband had an appreciation for that lol. I haven't started tx yet.
I have read recently that this can be caused by hypothyroid in some people.  I was interested because a sore, swollen tongue that gets ridges imprinted on it from the edges of my teeth, has plagued me on and off for years.  I am taking a small dose of synthroid and I have had less problems with it since starting it but it still happens every now and then.  Sucking on some ice or holding very cold ice water in my mouth for a few minutes helps relieve the discomfort somewhat.  I also keep a piece of sugar free gum in my mouth because it seems as if I can keep my taste buds busy, I get less pain signals to my brain.  (Don't know for sure why it helps really)  By the way, I don't have hepatitis c, my husband does. )  One other thing that I have done that helps it feel better temporarily is to swish Maalox in my mouth for a few moments, then spit it out.  It seems soothing.  I read somewhere on the internet to try it.
Google swollen tongue +hypothyroid and see if you find anything helpful.
None of this would apply if you have thrush.
IHope you both  find something that helps,
Ev