Hepatitis C Community
Symptoms of HCV Anyone? (not treatment side effects)

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I'm curious if anyone has had mild HCV (It hasn't affected my liver too much) and symptoms from it. I have just learned that I've had Hep C for 12-15 years. That's half my life. For years I have had intermittent joint and muscle pain, fatigue and other issues. I always figured it was just because autoimmune problems run in my family. However, I'm seeing all kinds of info online that this might have been just because my immune system is a little haywire all the time from the virus itself.  Anyone have any thoughts? Did anyone go through treatment and their joint and muscle pain (or other symptoms like fatigue) actually went away afterwards because it was related to the virus?  I am trying to be optimistic about starting treatment, and if there is a chance I will feel better after treatment, that is a huge plus.

It ***** that I don't know what "normal" is for me since I've lived half of my life with this.
Hi and Welcome.Alot of thigs can be blamed on HCV.My suggestion.Read this forum and other HCV related sites and educate yourself .It's an information highway.Good luck with treating .Your young it sounds like.That makes you have better chances already.That's sad that you don't know what normal feels like.
Tammy
My joint pains have resolved and I'm on my 5th week.  I get stabbing pains in the head now to replace them, ;-) and have fatigue issues currently.  I'm overall better than my previous "normal" which was nealy unbearable.  Many issues I had were blamed on previous surgeries and scar tissue.  I'm sure the treatment road can still get hairy, but frankly I was so far down, the only way to go was up!   I'm still very optimistic for my outcome being a MUCH better quality of life.  Banking on it, planning on it.  

Sorry, forgot to mention had it 30+ years for known risk factors, stage 1, genotype 2b, Viral Load 30,300,000.
I have had it for 35 years did one tx 24 weeks 2006 to 2007 although joint pain sever
fatigue, headaches stiffnes etc etc increased about 10 times during treatmen and lasted until three months after tx.
But since then pains that I´ve had for +25 years miraculously almust completely went away, I´m very glad I did treat.

I now know that in my case those issues was HCV related and those benefits I´ve got from first tx although relapsed motivated me to do it again after 10 months.

Currently I´m on week 40 of 48  doing double time tx and also stronger doses, except for fatigue and head aches and some other aches I have now and then, my pain and stiffnes in joints and bones are much lesser then before first treatment (tx)

As you you self pointed out when having this disease for many years and it sneaks up on you slowly you dont understand what normal is. I think thats the reason many people claim they have no symptoms.

I think you should if possible do tests and see what kind of RA problems you`ve got because tx can speed uf the process and you can many years before you normaly should ( if not treating ) have to deal with RA and or thyroid and other autoimmune issues.

Welcome here and good luck with tx if you decide to treat.
ca

Ps try to get a hold of a doc that knows about this disease preferably a hepatologist .
Pardon my language problems I meant with normaly ( if not treating ).
that if you treat  compared with not trating you could speed up the process.

On the other hand if not treating you can face even worse problems then if treating.
This is not an easy decision for many to make and needs a lot of  consideration and knowledge about how damaged your liver is.
There is some research to suggest that hcv causes other issues with the body than just liver damage.  Therefore, it could affect other systems prior to liver damage showing up.  It is thought to be associated with both atherosclerosis and pad, for instance.  Also, skin and eye issues.  The mechanism that causes atherosclerosis and PAD is thought to be that it causes increased inflammation in the body (hence issues with inflammatory arthritis in those with hcv), and that this damages blood vessels.   Circulating immunological processes are also thought to cause damage to the body.  (In fact, the reaction of the immune system to the virus is thought to be the mechanism of liver damage behind those with hcv)

I would think that people would respond to the inflammation and other immune issues at different rates.