TIPS failure

What could happen if a TIPS procedure recipient is not administered a diuretic that works?  
The goal of the TIPS procedure is to reduce portal pressure in order to alleviate symptoms such as ascites and varices. This outcome is independent of diuretic usage. Normally, before someone has progressed to the point where a TIPS procedure is advised, they already have an ongoing ascites problem, and presumably would have been prescribed diuretics at some point. Has this person become diuretic-resistant by chance ? If no evidence for this exists then finding effective diuretics is normally not an issue. If the person is diuretic-resistant there are other courses of action available to the doctor and patient to control symptoms.
Mr Liver
"In my son's case, the diuretices were no longer working
is there something else that could have been done to save his life?"

I'm sorry but there is no way for me to know the answer to your question.  Was your son awaiting tp ?

Paracentisis is an option that is commonly used to control ascites in those who are resistant to diuretics. Even so, tapping carries some risks. The biggest is possible infection in the peritoneal cavity which can progress very rapidly due to the environment the bacteria is in. And once someone has been tapped they will continually need to repeat until they receive a transplant so the risk is ever present. Dietary modifications can be helpful in the control of ascites as well.

I'm really sorry for your loss.

ML

I really wish I could somehow know the answers to the questions you have. I can't really speak against or in support of any actions taken or medical decisions that were made or should have been made. These scenarios can have a multitude of mitigating factors accompanied by reams of lab and medical data that shaped treatment decisions. You didn't mention what your intentions were once all records have been gathered, but I assume you will have medical experts examine them for any improprieties ?

Mr Liver