Hepatitis C Community
TX AND THE SUN

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

TX AND THE SUN

My husband, who is on Hep C tx with PegInt/Copeg and now is on Procrit, spent the day with his brother last week painting the garage and hasn't been the same since.  what are the warnings about being outside in the sun for all these meds? Anything else I could be forgetting??? I know just about everything he SHOULD do but I'm not so sure about what NOT to do, understand?!?
I never could tolerate being in the sun or being in the heat when I am on treatment.  But, you know what they say, everybody's different.  It made me too itchy and rashy.

Susan
i go out in the sun with 35 spf on for 5 minutes and i am burned real bad. i had sores and scabs and my eyes were almost swollen shut. even sitting by the window in the house with shorts on gets me sores. i used to ride my motorcycle for hours with no shirt and not have a problem. be very, very careful. the meds interfere with the imune system.
bobby
We have a REALLY big problem with the meds dehydrating us - not only like making us thirsty but also with our SKIN.  A major way!  So unfortunately we really need to stay out of the sun.

I bought the new moisturizing lotion that has a bit of tanning in it and have been using that so I LOOK tan = but for the first summer ever in my life I'll have to really cover up with sunscreen and try to avoid the sun.

yuck! it feels so good! :(  but better to be disease and riba rash free than to be in the sun I guess.
I did a number of dumb things on tx but two stand out because of the results.  Early on, a day after the peg shot I played golf in the Florida summer heat.  It wiped me out for about 3 days, tired, sore bone-deep fatigue.  The second was using a solvent-based paint prime in an enclosed space, completely against label instructions.  That time I had even worse flu-like symptoms and massive headaches for a few days.  Both, supremely dumb moves. As for sun exposure itself, you'll probably get other input but limited exposure is receommended.  I learned that pace and exercising more than good sense on tx is very important, effects seem magnified on this junk.
Ocassionally my job forces me outside,......didnt have to drop a brick on my head to realize this is not something I want to do. I get one of my other people to handle all outdoors things, I begin feeling sick to my stomach, then I start spinning out, whew!
Stay outta the sun!!!!

lilmoma
Go to coolibar.com and check out sun protective clothing. Also heard there's something you can buy in the stores to add to the wash that will turn ordinary materials into sun protective materials. Remember, some clothes let the sun through. Also, forget the spf numbers on sunblocks/sunscreens -- as they don't filter out all bands of light. Go to a more serious physical block. Look for products that have Zinc Oxide and/or Titanium Dioxide in them. But be careful, a lot of products "lips, face, nose" etc, that have zinc in the name or on the jar. Check the PERCENTAGE of zinc oxide in them, often ther's very little. Very misleading. Two I'm using are Blue Lizard BABY spf 30, 10% zinc oxide and 5% titanium dioxide. Also, Fallene COTZ, spf 58, same ingredients but now that I'm looking at the tube they don't put in the percents. LOL. Anyway, COTZ comes in a tan tint. I'm also about to order something called ZincO which supposedly is for very sensitive skin but haven't tried it yet. http://www.lindasy.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.100.exe/?E+scstore

-- Jim
I saw you make a post to me, but I'm too frazzled to find it, I pulled an all-nighter last night (meaning I had to work all night on a project) and I'm so spaced  well, more then usual, - it's like a high of its own really...,anyway, where do you want me to go? To Jim's Sun God thread? where? Maybe I should come back on here when I've had some sleep...take care...
Just go to this link: http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Hepatitis/messages/41040.html
Or easier still, hit the control key on your computer and the letter "F". You'll see a little "Find" box proably on the lower left of the page. Then enter "hypo" for hypothyroidism" in the box and either hit "return" or click on the "find next" icon. That will take you right to the thread. Or, if that is too high tech, just scroll down to the posts on 5/30 and look for the thread entitled "hypothyrodism".

Just a few hours of sleep again ha ha. How's the walk :)

-- Jim
Reading all this about no sun is really depressing!  What am I supposed to do in Jamacia for 2 weeks? Buy some clothes that won't let sun in?  this is why we go there every year- the sun. I am going to look really cute in it if I go to the nude beach covered in some body armor that doesn't let sun it!

Since I have not had any Riba rash yet, I am tempted to try the sun. I keep reading about how I should NOT do it. I have enough sx's w/o getting another.
Like snooky, i have not had any problems what so ever with being in the sun, i floated the river all day last weekend, i bike ride and hike at least 5 times a week. I just use sun screen. So don't let it discurage you from your trip to JA.... Everyone reacts different....I myself can't wait to go back to JA.. I have a trip planned for June when i am done with treatment. Where are you headed and have you been to the island before?? I can't wait to be in San Fran in August... I go to reggae on the river every year and i fly into the big city, i love to visit... so that is usually my big trip for the year. I sneaked in a costa rica trip this year before i started treatment, I have been spoiling myself since knowone knows how things will be during treatment from month to month. Stay strong and update us on the JA trip... I am jealous :)
Even off of treatment, people need to be careful about getting burns.  The burn you get today is the skin cancer or wrinkle of tomorrow.  I grew up in Florida and lived in Puerto Rico for a while as a child.  By the time I was 30, I'd had skin cancer twice.  One of them left me with an inch long scar. So, I won't be a sun worshipper even when I stop treatment. Even though I live in Fla. now.

Susan
Wow I never would have guessed that a paint primer would make you that sick. I guess I now know that I won't use any oil-based paints during TX.  I am no longer a painter as I needed a job that carried insurance.  But knowing that TX starts within 4-6 weeks I painted my dining room this last weekend (Just in case I do get the fatigue) it kicked my butt since I haven't painted in about a year and did 4 coats in 2 days. Primed too.  I would never have known that and nothing I have read said anything about paint thinners. Thank you thank you.
Wow, I sure hope I am like you that has no bad effects from the sun. We go to Jamacia every year (6th year) and John booked it for 2 weeks, which is longer than usual.

We go to Grand Lido Braco in Runaway Bay. We have met lots of friends and like meeting up with them. It's going to be different on tx. How will I get my CBC every week? Luckily we have a frig in our room.

I surely won't partake in the drinking games, but there are lots of things to do, if I have the energy to do them.  

Snooky, Not sure where your mother was in Jamacia. I haven't had any problems. We went to the Sun Fest the past few years, lots of fun.

I think I will save my tanning to right before I go, so I can get a base and stop when I get home. I don't want to push my luck. But it is going to be almost impossible to stay out of the sun.

Shana; Let me know when you come to SF. I have tix for Giants games if you want some.  I used to have a cabin in Russian River but have never been to the Reggae Fest. I think my son has.
It was my bad all the way. It was a lundry room, with the door closed.  I think breathing those fumes poisoned me or something while in a weakened condition. I do quite a bit of interior painting, with latex mostly.  Since that adventure I make sure I get water-based primers.  Got me out of a few around-the-house to-do's for a while.
Runaway bay, now I know why you like Jamacia.. But being held up in an all inclusive resort like that is a whole different story. I'm talking about real Jamacia, what we call the "bush".
I grew up in West Moreland, which is basically Negril. My mom lived right smack on top of Mount Erie, and we lived in a little cottage, no running water or electric. Few years later, I think I was about 10, she moved to Mobay, or Montego Bay. Actually, right outside the city on the main highway in a little town called Reading. She ran two villas, and a tee shirt factory in the mountains. I think my mom lived down there for about 25 years or so, and I was there for a total of 4 or 5.
Jamacia is not a pleasant, or relaxing place. I've been to islands all over the carribean, and Jamacia is one place I would perferably not return. I highly recommend St.Lucea. Night and day difference in cultures and attitudes.. The people appreciate tourism, unlike Jamacians..
The stories I tell you about tourist hijacking and murders are really going on.. Do a search, or inquiry, or pick up a Caribbean newspaper. You can get a paper at any Jamacian market, or restaurant.
But as far as sun exposure, just wear a hat, and use sunscreen. The key is remembering to reapply it often.
thanks, interesting link!
I will smell really good! Perhaps enough to keep the kidnappers away.

Maybe I can be in Goofydads Hep C awareness calendar with bunches of broccili on my riba sun burn. LOL

No, actually that sounds very interesting about sun damage. Where do you get this stuff?
hey,
this is a problem of some of our imune systems and not having ANY protection to the sun. i get burned real bad after only a few minutes when it never bothered me before. be real careful. my dr. recommended sun proof long sleeve shirts and staying away from floresant lights.

does any one know how long this will last AFTER
i did negril back in 1975 ;stayed w/ a great family on redhill district(if memory serves) Simon& Dellsy......simon would cxome lookin for me everynite;"tom,Del's worried 'bout ya"....explored big old caves,swam in caves,ate mushrooms,snorkeled on reef...Great memories,but i could see the changes were coming-older folks were all greatly welcoming;younger generation had v mixed reactions to tourists...This was in the days of Manley and full independence,incredible inflation&subsequent unemployment..all is not well apparently
The Sun-messes w/ me bigtime...overheat,i get drained of energy.but i seem to be tanning abit..try to limit exposure to early & late part of day  and oh yeah-Have A Great Time!!
You do have to watch the paint fumes. Someone told me that..if ya eat it, smoke it, drink it,or breathe it...it likely passes through your liver.(Hmmm, hope my more toxic thoughts aren't goin through there. Don't wanna stress the tx liver) Let's face it tat is some toxic stuff. I do paint on some of the remodeling jobs, and do work in oils on my paintings(not enough lately).When the situation arises in house work I don't worry much with water based. I have turned down work with one remodeler who likes to use oil based and a large spayer. Then that stuff is too thick in the air. I avoid using paint thinners and turps to clean my hands and all, that stuff soaks right into th skin. Started getting me nauseus last time. I certainly feel more esnsitive to smells and fumes on tx. But evevn if I wasn't on tx, with an ill liver I do play it safer around stuff.
Stay Safe,
Don
Let me know how your experiment works. I usually pre-tan before I go to Jamacia. My skin doesn't burn easily and when I use the tanning beds I start at 8 or 9. I don't think I will try that high.

I stay at the pool bar in the water alot. Won't be drinking, but its cool and fun under water and umbrella.

My pool is in the shade, so when I quit sleeping like a bear, I will get out there and swim some.

I checked out the sun, a few minutes at a time a few weeks ago, with out any problems. I have so many crappy sx that I don't want another!
I tx'ed and the sun really did not bother me like others have experienced. Of course I would overheat, and that was not normal, but never blistered or burned.. I would even go on the boatduring late afternoons, lets say 4:00pm till dark.. Towards the end of tx, my Doc told me I looked like c*r*a*p, and recommended me getting some sun. She told me to just limit exposure, and use sunblock. So I lathered up with a couple coats of 15, and would lay out for 30 minutes at a time. I actually built a base tan, then started getting color.

But the real reason I'm responding to you, is WHAT the HECK are you going to Jamacia for? My gawd, that country has gone to h*e*l*l.. And when I tell you this, it is not from the tourist perspective, I grew up down there, and my mother(a citizen), only sold her villa a few years back. The country and the people are awful, and civil war and crime are taking over. Tourists buses are being hijacked leaving resorts, and many, many tourists are coming up missing..
There are better islands, better vacations, and waaaaaay better places to get a tan!! LOL
I go out on our boat without any problems.  Well the first time I didn't keep enough sunblock on and burned but since then I have been consistenly putting block on and haven't burned again or had any more rash problems.  I try and stay under the top as much as possible but in arizona it's hard to avoid the sun.  also I drink lots of water and gatorade out there.

Now if I could just muster up the strength to get on my board then I would be good to go but alas my board will see no sun this year.  My board will remain in the closet hibernating...let's have a moment of silence please.....
: )
deb in az
Sorry...no I mean my wakeboard.  hahahahaa  My brain sometimes goes faster than my fingers can type....just after taking my riba anyway.  

deb in az
I too am having a prob w/the heat.  Avoiding it as much as possible.  Not taking any chances in the sun either.  I do my gardening in the morns and just started swimming in the morns too.  AHHH Refreshing!  I sit in the shade in the pool and just kick my legs for excercise.  I make sure I only get in the pool before Rog leaves for work because I am prone to getting that faint feeling.  So no pool when he is not home.  I even call him on the phone before I take a shower and call after I get out.  Guess I can't be to careful!

Brother had 2nd hip surgery yesterday....LOTS OF PAIN w/this one.....not a happy camper.  Gonna go up there here in a few and sit w/him and also take my verbal abuse for the day (it's the drugs).  I hoping for this all to be just a memory here soon.

Sides have been somewhat tolerable although still.....worse than when i started tx.  Only 9 more to go...can't hardley wait for it to ALL be over with!  To day seems to be Ok, gonna work thru it and get what I need to get done so I will sleep tonight.

Take all!
Fisheress
I know the feeling Fish.  I'm on the 'quitting my toxic Hep C meds' countdown.

Susan
You two don't sound like you go on the tourist vacation I do. I have gotten out in the 'hood' a few times in a taxi at night through the streets. I spent one time in Negril. Love the beach and Mary's Tea House! Can't do that anymore either!

I love the Jamacians I have met and have a few I call when there. Love the jerk shack in St. Ann's Bay.

Mostly we stay on our all-inclusive resort with 7 restaurants and a pool 3 blocks long. Hidden hot tubs and beach parties. Good fun and relaxing, if you are good!

Goofy; Perhaps a picture of me in a bee suit on the beach in Jamacia would be good for the Hep C awareness calendar.
ate the shrooms in stews,in tea ,strait outa the brown paper bags..after a good rain they were everywhere...Simon & i tested 'oil' every morning w/ coffee,but i never went to the plantations,too much drama even then...sounds like you had a great adventure growin up-i envy you that,i spent my boyhood shoveling snow & ****...
i made friends for life and was treated like a member of their wonderful/happy family-i have nothing but good memorys,but i do know that the IMF and imported farm products has undermined the traditional economy;they useto grow everything locally,not just sweet rolling weed and hotels....HAVE FUN but be careful of that sun,oh and i'm w/ ya on the political mess
We aren't going to talk about the political mess, are we? I had to go hide under the bed last time.

That sounds great in Negril. I would love to stay with a family there. I did that in Guatemala a few times, loved it.

My husband calls me the limozine liberal b/c I like my luxury vacations. I also like my not so PC trips to various places.

Going on vacation on tx is going to be a challenge I think. I hope I don't need any rescue drugs or stuff like that. That is scary to me. It would probably be easier if I was going to Europe or Thailand. I hear they have great health care in Thailand.
Baygirl, don't get me started on the hospitals down there!!! That is one thing I <strong>HIGHLY</strong> recommend avoiding..

Beamer, you ate the shrooms? Man, I didn't think that there where to many of us that made it back? Ever go to Petersfield, better known via High Times and the "herbal" experts as Ganja mountain? Quite the experience I might say.
Hey Kathy....yea still woozie's, will be going back to the clinic next Friday.  Perhaps they will have a clue or just tell me as usual "it's the sides".

Went and visited brother at hospital, he is miserable, pain management doc is on vacation so he's screwed as far as getting any additional pain meds.  I did get my verbal abuse from him as expected.  Therapy people came in and had him sit on side of bed....he was ugly to them too.  It's the DRUGS.....I said something and he looked at me like he had the devil in him.....was scary!  After all was done, he tore into me (don't know what I did)!  I nicely said I had some errands to run and really needed to be on my way. Cried all the way home because it really it hurt my feelers, came home and went to sleep.  Crying makes me sleepy.  Anyway gonna wait till Sunday after church to go visit him again, take Rog w/me (that way he won't be mean) and hopefully he will be past the major part.  I am the only one he has here so therefore he will have no visitors.  But ya know, I have to think of my own mental health and health and that **** is not gonna cut it!

OK, through venting, thanks Kathy for asking and oh the pool was GREAT!  Gonna do it again in the morn, that was my 1st time in this morn.

Have a wonderful nite,
Fisheress
Sorry you still have the woozies.  So Bud has come thru the second surgery.  Whew.  I know you are glad that is over.  I wonder why this one was more painful.  Perhaps your trip to Biluxi was too much for the hip.  Glad youa re getting in the early morning swim.  Wish I could.
Kathy
I do think the dizziness is the drop in your hemoglobin.  I wish the doc would go ahead and rx some procrit for your last 2 months.  

I understand that abuse you got from Bud. I know in my heart he knows you have helped him more than anything, but just can't see thru the pain right now.  I am really surprised they are letting him stay in pain like that right after surgery, however, even if his pain management doc is gone.  Do try to stay away like you said.
frijole
Hi All,
My husband is on triple therapy.  In his third or fourth week he developed serious sensitivity to sunlight.  The sensitivity is not to the skin rather it's his eyes that can't handle sun light.  It gives him nausiea as well as drains him like anything.  Some colors also look too bright to him to handle.  I was wondering if anyone on the treatment has experienced this.  I'm interested in knowing if there's something out there that can help him.

Thx,
Ruby