TX Extension, Kidneys and E. Coli
Hello everyone.  Took a turn for the worse and haven't been able to be on.  I will not be extending my tx past 48 weeks.  I'm going to be very happy that I was able to complete that and not worry about anymore.

About 3 weeks ago went to the GP for reg check up and mentioned some pain in kidney area.  Did a UA and found white blood cells so treated me with antibotics for 3 days while sending sample for culture.  Called me back and found E. Coli in my urine.  Treated me for 7 more days.  Last Thursday woke up in agony from pain in kidney area about 1 am - never stopped.  Got in to dr at 10 am.  Did another UA culture and gave me darvocet's.  Thank goodness!  Called back the next day and scheduled me in the hospital for this past Monday and Tuesday for tests on my kidney.  Found blood in my urine.

Kidney inflammation is a rare side effect of TX, but that wouldn't be causing my kidney to bleed.  I could have a kidney stone, I could have renal tubular acidosis.  Anyway, I have an apt tomorrow morning to find out what's up with the kidney.

Has anyone else had any kidney problems on TX?  Valorie
I know many women that have had this happen and been hospitalized and it is supposed to be agony (none of them were treating).

I am SO sorry that this happened Mrs.O I'd wondered where you and CanCanDoMan and a few other friends have been.

It's so NOT right when these type of things happen to people.

48 weeks is what you were supposed to do right?

You have all of my heart felt support and love - dont even think about this disease any longer.
You poor thing. Ouch! I know it can be an issue and that IFN can affect the kidneys of some patients. I have not had any but I had a relative with idney problems and the pain was tremendous. I hope yours eases soon and you get some answers tomorrow. Sorry you have been going thru this.
My NP suggested kidney damage isn't all that rare from combo treatment. As to blood in the urine, while we have very different plumbing systems, I do know that at least in men blood in urine isn't all that uncommon especially with  UTI's (urinary tract infections).  Hopefully, further kidney tests will reveal little more than a UTI.  Hope it all works out.
Thanks Debby.  You've been thru so much yourself that I do appreciate your kindness.

Yep, 48 weeks was the original goal.  I'm going to have two weeks left over and thought I might do those just to use them, but I'll donate them somewhere.  I've been und since week 12, so I'll just live my life the next 6 months and worry about relapse if and when it happens, but not before.

In the meantime, I just want to get rid of all the side effects of this poison we take to kill another poison.

Talk to you soon.
Don't even think about it anymore for a while....just chalk it up to a bad past experience, put it in the trash like a piece of paper and BURN IT FOR GOOD.

I am going to miss you being around here I tell you that but...WHEN (and I do mean WHEN) you get the report of SVR if you don't come back and tell us - I'll find you I SWEAR!  ;)

I just know you didn't even need the extra weeks so why even bother to do them!
Sorry you're having such a rough time.  I hope that the end of tx will take care of some of these other things you're now dealing with or that the solution is and easy one for you and the doc to overcome.  You're not really a Cranky Pants, you're a nice lady who just had a bunch of lousey stuff happen.  I hope that you feel better very soon Valorie.  Congratulations on finishing. 36 is a lot of undectectable weeks.
you are such goodhearted women i wish you all the best at SVR...i've been thinking of extending a bit too;keep us posted ...hope the kidney issue is resolved quikly-GOODLUCK (((((mrs O)))))
yup, painful stuff it is, sorry you are going through that one.

I had UTIs regularly while on tx, from E coli and Shigella. was on Macrobid and then went on to stronger antibiotics like sulfa.  Also uristat and something else that makes your pee orange, the first one makes your pee green. at one point there was bright red blood in the urine.  We were able to control it with the help of the urologist.  Maybe an MRI or ct scan would show the stones, if any.

feel better soon
I am so sorry you are going through this. I know this is a concern of mine as well. I have kidney problems. But it didn't affect my last treatment. Take care of yourself. Hope things gets better, Debi
Had the dr's apt this morning and tests from earlier this week were negative.  So it's off to the urologist next Friday.  I'm tempted to wait till TX is over to see if this all resolves, but as doc said in July you had a raging infection but no blood.  A week later after antibiotics you have blood we need to find out why.  

I almost feel Red Riding Hood skipping thru the forest on her way to one doc after another.  lol

Love those darvocet's, really helping to keep the pain down.

Last shot Sept 8 - last Riba Sept 15.  Wow.

Thanks to all.
Skipping's an improvement.
just stay out of grandma's bedroom & best of luck! i will be 1 month behind you so i imagine you will have domesticated the wolf & have him doing housechores by the time i arrive at the sweet cottage inthe forest..save me some goodies from yur basket