Hepatitis C Community
TX double Dose

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

TX double Dose

I had hep c, I contracted it form multiple blood transfusions. When my numbers were right for treatment I did the riboviron & interferon. The  pheno type that I had was the most resistive to treatment. After hearing all of this from my Dr. I ask what would happen if I doubled or tripled the prescribed dose of interferon, he said that was not approved by FDA but since I would be injecting the med at home, he had no control over how much I used. So, I would mix the med and completely fill the syringe with it and inject it and took the prescribed amount of riboviron, I added spinach (canned) to my diet 2 times a day and drank the liquid, ate minimal protien, and lots of fruits and dark green leafy veggies, avoided tylenol products, & had a glass of red wine 3 x a week  ......I was only on the TX for 19 weeks and had to go off it in order to have surgery on my shoulder. To my Drs'. surprise and mine my labs came up normal and has been since 2002. I shaved my head during TX and had to get procrit injections so that I was not so weak and sick from the meds, this is not uncommon taking the prescribed amount.  I was wondering if anyone else had tried increasing the interferon?
ARE YOU MAD?....drinking with tx drugs?..you need a doctor alright...a shrink...sorry...but facts are facts
Someone finally picked that up. LOL.

I covered some of the other stuff here:
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/686790
Not sure if that link went to the right spot, so I'll just copy and paste my post from that thread:
-----------
Welcome to the group.

As Mr. Liver indirectly suggests, just because you became SVR doesn't mean what you did (or took) was helpful or would be to others. In other words you no doubt became SVR in spite of some of the things you did and took, not because of them. Mr. Liver mentions two hepato-toxic drugs as one example, as well as aspirin, which was the one pain killer my liver specialist told me to stay away from. (His choice and the choice of many other liver specialists is Tynlenol).

You also say in another recent post that you drank red wine 3X week during treatment. Again, I can state with assurity that you became SVR in spite of the red wine during treatment and not because of it.

As to your triple dose of interferon, I'd also be interested in the specifics of your dosing, because my knee jerk reaction is that you couldn't have had that much interferon on hand because of insurance reasons and what probably happened is that you took the full syringe, instead of a partial syringe, which would not be a triple dose but just maybe a certain per cent more. Speculation here, but the exact dosing would be helpful.

Hopefully you don't take this as a criticism, but when a geno 1 posts they became SVR after only 16 weeks, there is always the posssiblity that someone new will start jotting down all the things the person did to become SVR. I applaud your SVR but would hate to see people go out and buy aspirin, take hepa-toxic drugs, and drink wine 3X week on treatment. Not to mention all that spinach which contains oxalic acid.

-- Jim
~~~Not to mention all that spinach

Unless you're Popeye, maybe    ; )
Strangest treatment regime ive ever come across...wine, spinach and triple doses of Peg..and low protien  and you say you took aspirin too?...WOW
Triple doses of peg, wonder what that does to your whites?  180 mg peg and my ANC is borderline.  Must admit though, despite losing some weight, I have eaten lots of protein and vegetables, (lots of junk food too) and have never had a problem with anemia.  I force myself to eat, it may stick in my throat sometimes, (gag)  but I make myself eat.  Maybe that has something to do with it?
Congrats. To me its very clear that the higher the doses the better the results.
Red