Hepatitis C Community
Taboo? Sexual performance issues secondary to HCV?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

I have read stats (sorry they are not at my fingertips) that ascertain an association between erection difficulties and HCV and/or advancing liver disease. I'm sure most have read of the association between HCV and depression which of course can contribute to such problems. I am interested in others experiences. I do not see this as a "social community" posting as it is a physiologic outcome of HCV i.e., erection difficulties with the advncing of Hepatitis C?
I don't think there's any question of it. Too, having been HIV positive for 21 years, I can tell you both diseases have a deflating effect.  I coped by using Testim up until the time I started triple tx then decided the stop to reduce the liver load.  I have had one hard on in three months.  But I must tell you: between the two viruses, genetic depression in my family, and the drug and sexual addiction/dysfunction, I am for the moment happy not to be a slave to my crotch.  ;)
I don't know about erections, but a decreased libido is pretty common with HCV, I believe.
I don't know the statistics on it, but it seems to return with the eradication of the virus, even if one is cirrhotic.

"I am for the moment happy not to be a slave to my crotch.  ;) "
There is a lot to be said for that. Who needs that sort of pressure when treating and healing?
Here I go again as a contrarian.

I have HCV.  I don't know how long I have had it; could be since the mid 70's. My latest suspicions are that since my LFT's were perfect in 1990 (w/ moderate drinking) and out of range in 2002 (while not drinking) that I could have possibly been infected more recently.

I'm rather normal or better than normal physically and I would say that I seem somewhat unaffected by HCV and the thread topic, although I am within spitting distance of 60 years old.

.....I prefer the term *indentured servant* to that of slave.  : )

I also are aware that TX can impact of many of the same issues as is attributed to HCV.  As in all things that relate to sexual performance and satisfation, ED, etc....... it is often very very difficult to "peg" the cause to the effect.

willy
I hope everyone else thinks it's just too funny to get a response from "willy". No disrespect -  LMFAO!
It's not uncommon for men with HCV to suffer from ED and for the most part it as nothing to do with how well the libido is.In my case I can tell a significant difference between pre treatment and after treatment.Each case can be different,you also have to take in consideration such things as age,other medical conditions,drinking,smoking,some medications the person might be taking,or use of illicit drugs.So sometimes it as nothing to do with HCV or it could be a number of things listed above in combination with HCV.
I think Hep C, age, cirrhosis all play apart in it, which reminds me of this saying..... Sorry can't help myself.

I AM OLD AND FEEBLE ,AND MY PILOT LIGHT IS OUT .WHAT USED TO MY SEX APPEAL ,IS NOW MY WATER SPOUT..I USED TO BE EMBARRASSED TO MAKE THE THING BEHAVE FOR EVERY SINGLE MORNING IT WOULD STAND UP AND WATCH ME SHAVE .NOW I'M GROWING OLDER AND IT SURE GIVES ME THE BLUES, TO HAVE THAT THING HANG DOWN MY LEG AND WATCH ME SHINE MY SHOES.
OMG, I cannot stop laughing.
It doesn't take long to revert to adolescence when this issue comes up.
Very funny
Thanks for the laugh!  OMGGGGGG Cracking up here
Can-do - you the man!
Thanks for that old ditty.

Hector
How about the women,are you suffering from a draught or is it business as usual?
Now on a serious note if I may...

I will only comment on decompensated cirrhosis and sexual dysfunction and ED (erectile dysfunction).

If we think of the complications of decompensated cirrhosis we can see many factors that can contribute to the loss of sexual interest in patients with advanced liver disease. Extreme fatigue, weakness, nausea and general sickness which are common in these patients don’t inspire thinking of or desiring sex. Neither does ascites and edema and pruritus (itching). Also it is common to lose one’s appetite and desire to sleep as well as one’s sexual desire. Irritability, inability to concentrate, loss of memory, confusion, or depressed levels of consciousness because of hepatic encephalopathy (HE) contribute as well. And of course many patients become clinical depressed as they are overwhelmed by the loss of their health by a life-threatening illness. Depression can of course lead to anhedonia (loss of pleasure in all things) including sexual pleasure. In addition to the above, liver failure can produce kidney issues including diabetes which is known to cause ED.

The liver plays an important role in the breakdown of sex hormones, such as estrogen or testosterone. With increased scarring of the liver more estrogen remains in the body. So the male patient develops female characteristics, breast growth being the most obvious.

Cirrhosis also causes impotence, infertility, loss of sexual drive, loss of body hair, Decreased muscle mass, gynecomastia (breast enlargement), and testicular atrophy in many male patients. Young cirrhotic women stop having normal menstrual cycles and women experience vaginal dryness, which typically results in decreased sexual interest.

Of course an Urologist who specializes in sexual dysfunction is the doctor who can determine the cause of your ED. If you are male and the problem is due to advanced liver disease, you can be tested to make sure you are physically able to have an erection. You will sign a consent form and an injection of a drug similar to Viagra can be injected directly into the penis. (This procedure is not for everyone!). The things we do for love! Within 5-10 minutes if you think a sexual thought you will get an erection. This indicates the ED and loss of libido is due to HE for those males that suffer with that complication of cirrhosis. Basically the connection between the brain and the penis is disrupted by the encephalopathy.
The good news is ….that after transplant when the patient has a fully functioning liver this along with all of the other complication of cirrhosis disappear.

Sex is like air...
You don't how much you need it until you can't get it.
Hector
Thanx for the laugh!
C
"How about the women,are you suffering from a draught or is it business as usual? "
---------------------------------

Never a drought, but rather a slight drop in business towards the end of  30-35 years of HCV.

However, now, after 48 weeks of Tx, business is better than usual, in fact, it is superb.
I'm in Wk 16.  Forecast has been "Fair to Partly Cloudy".  But if Beyonce' walked into the room the forecast would change dramatically to "Precipitation 100% Hurricane force winds and flooding in low lying areas"!
Surprisingly, the incivek had a somewhat viagra effect. I am 57 and have the usual drop in testosterone, I went from thinking about sex every 7 seconds to thinking about it every 7 days, but the incivek returned it. This was the only good side effect that incivek had. I know it was the tncivek, because it went away with the incivek...Mark
My drought started about 30 years ago! Interestingly enough, there does seem to be a little rain these days.
I suspect when the virus exited, it gave room for some life to flow.
Too little too late LOL!
But if Beyonce' walked into the room the forecast would change dramatically to "Precipitation 100% Hurricane force winds and flooding in low lying areas"!
Love that! lol 'cept in my case it would be Bobby DeNiro  or Pacino.
I have a theory and last time I mentioned it people thought I was joking but I'm not.
Mine is that low wbc reduce libido. Or at least it seemed to affect me that way.
What made me aware of this was when I was taking neupogen, the changes were noticeable, at least I certainly noticed them.

When you're on tx, your wbc tend to drop, same can be true with advanced liver disease, although I think when you are very ill, your body tends to focus on simply the basics of staying alive.
"But if Beyonce' walked into the room the forecast would change dramatically to "Precipitation 100% Hurricane force winds and flooding in low lying areas"!

"Love that! lol 'cept in my case it would be Bobby DeNiro  or Pacino. "
__________________________________

Hmm ... in my case, it would be Sheryl Crow OR George Clooney.
Woohoo Pooh!!!
Now that would be something...gonna stop there before I say too much. haha
WOW Hector..... I have to say you nailed this subject.  What a great
answer.  I had never heard of anhedonia.... But I can tell you that was
my Incivek experience.   Thanks for pointing that out.  I found that to
be the hardest part of this treatment.  
Thanks Again : )
What a nice conversation for intelligent adults.  You guys are a bunch of sexual meteorologists. And I appreciate the break from all the big words.
I need to hang my washcloth over my shoulder since tx started.
Nice thread everyone.
Well, I had hep c for more than 35 years and I've never had a problem with hydraulics yet. ( Knock on wood...lol )  My wife says it only because I'm so immature.  I'm fifty freakin eight! I've been clear since April and so far so good. I finished 7977 trial on Aug 30.  I do exercise almost everyday. O wonder if that has anything to do with it. I don't want to think about it too much, I might jinx "it"....lol
Did someone part the red sea? Great posts..LOL
I did find this article on Hepatitis Central:

How Hepatitis C Can Affect a Patient's Sex Life
March 15, 2007

"While some chronic Hepatitis C patients maintain normal sexual function and a healthy interest in sex, many experience reduced libido, erectile dysfunction and diminished sexual satisfaction. Learn how Hepatitis C impacts the sex lives of both men and women and how opening up about these issues can help improve patients' quality of life.

by Nicole Cutler, L.Ac.

Hepatitis C is commonly accompanied by fatigue and depression, followed by a decreased interest in sex. Additionally, antiviral medications typically used to battle Hepatitis C may cause sexual dysfunction and decreased libido. Sexual dysfunction is the most frequently encountered side effect of many antidepressant medications used to treat the depression and anxiety associated with Hepatitis C combination treatment. When discontinued, the medication-induced sexual dysfunction typically vanishes. Due to its prevalence in chronic Hepatitis C patients, openly discussing sexual problems with a physician can help identify if the source is the disease, prescribed medications or some other condition.

Studies
Although no large-scale clinical trials have been conducted proving that the Hepatitis C virus (HCV) directly causes sexual dysfunction, many patients report an association between the two. The following two studies demonstrate a relationship between sexual dysfunction and Hepatitis C:

1. A study published in the June 2006 issue of American Journal of Gastroenterology investigated the prevalence of sexual dysfunction among men with chronic HCV infection and evaluated its impact on health-related quality of life. After evaluating 350 participants, researchers concluded “…Our study demonstrates a strong association between chronic HCV infection and sexual dysfunction among men in the United States. Men with chronic HCV infection had markedly reduced sexual function in all the five domains evaluated (sex drive, erectile function, ejaculation, sexual problem assessment and overall sexual satisfaction) compared to HCV-uninfected controls…”

2. A study published in the February 2005 edition of Journal of Endocrinology evaluated sexual dysfunction in men with chronic HCV on antiviral therapy. Researchers found that testosterone levels decreased significantly during antiviral therapy, closely correlating with decreased libido and sexual function. Additionally, depression increased during interferon therapy, a condition also associated with sexual dysfunction.

Hormone Changes
Hepatitis C infection also contributes to advanced liver disease which can alter levels of hormones. Approximately two percent of middle-aged men experience decreased sexual interest and erectile dysfunction. This percentage remains consistent both in men without liver disease and those in the early stages of liver disease. However, men with advanced liver disease are more likely to experience the following conditions related to changes in hormone levels:

· Testicular dysfunction
· Loss of body hair
· Gynecomastia (enlarged breasts)
· Redistribution of body fat
· A female configuration of pubic hair
· Decreased muscle mass
· Decreased sexual desire
· Erectile dysfunction

The male sex hormone (testosterone) is typically lowered with advanced liver disease, while the female sex hormone (estrogen) typically increases. Because alcohol abuse further lowers testosterone levels, alcoholic men with Hepatitis C who have progressed to advanced liver disease are particularly vulnerable to sexual dysfunction issues.

Women
Women with chronic Hepatitis C commonly complain of vaginal dryness, which typically results in decreased sexual interest. The majority of women with Hepatitis C who experience pain during intercourse, vaginal irritation, vaginal burning and itching are on interferon and ribavirin therapy. Discomfort may be severe when combined with atrophic vaginitis, a condition common when estrogen levels decline, such as in postmenopausal women. While a topical estrogen and progesterone cream can improve or alleviate the dryness, oral estrogen supplements should only be taken under a physician’s close supervision. Whether in the form of natural soy estrogen or oral estrogen supplements, estrogen."

http://www.hepatitis-central.com/mt/archives/2007/03/how_hepatitis_c.html
Nice to know I am not the lone member of the ol' "It's not you, it's me" club.
whats up???....the ad's took it away for me......as soon as i started and as soon as i stopped them....billy
whats up???....
-------------------

LOL!    billy that is classic !
  I could never differentiate he difference between normal aging, and Hep C sx. I am happy to report, the whole are "down there" (lmao) seems to feel much better, more healthy, and more reactive(9 wks post tx)
  I am having psychological issues, concerning lots of stuff, surrounding sex, etc.
As long as it is surrounding it,right in the middle of it would be another story.
lol
They should have named the Hurricane Beyonce' not Sandy! I was disappointed lol
You people...............I leave you alone for a little while and look what happens?

Nice to see you cheppie...havent seen you around in a awhile. Jules, girl, TMI TMI TMI LOL hahahahaha. Babe!

Sexual meteorologists..............I like that alot.  At least HCV gave us some talent ;)

You nutjobs. Love you Candyman! ♥
Tell me Rivill tell me! We wasted the best years...........but that doesn't mean we don't have more coming!

Love you Candy just to repeat myself again. Big secret around here...shhhhh. Dont let anyone know!

Willy are you ever going to do treatment finally? I dont mean that snarky - but just wondering. Weve been friends for many years, I would like to see you CURED.
I have not been able to locate the stats that I believe ( my recollection is detail-vague) once informed my original thought that impotence was more of an HCV generality. Although I have to sift through all the humor (I guess that is to be expected) it seems it is less prevalent than I would have thought. I'm not naive - in fact I have worked in health care for decades - so I know such problems are multidimensional, relative to age and comorbidities, etc. And I know about urologic testing with caverject, etc...Just to clarify: I wasn't asking about desire per se (which is clearly related to hormones and psychic circumstances) or experiences while on therapy ( the Protease inhibitors are no aphrodisiacs) but an inability to have an erection while excited and a primary dg. of HCV......Finally it seems pretty obvious that such problems if they did exist (obviously they do for me) would be relative to the damage to the liver catalyzed by HCV...... ranging from stage 1- cirrhosis. Sex, like music,  and my kids, and being engaged by life in general are feasts I am not willing to give up.....And I find my ways to them all....Thanks to all. d
Hi Dennis,
here is a link to an article that suggests there is a link between male sexual disfunction and HCV.

http://www.natap.org/2002/august/081402_1.htm

The ancient Greeks believed that the goddess of dawn,  Eos, was responsible for morning erections.  Alas, Eos has not visited me for many a moon.  
eric
LMAO :)~
"Tell me Rivill tell me! We wasted the best years...........but that doesn't mean we don't have more coming! "

Yeah, well I ****************************************
and furthermore *******************************
Ah, that was good!
Fun while it lasted but at least we can remember the thread fondly ;)
I am on a list again for trials.  It depends what rolls out.  One I just missed but there will be others and soon.  Lots of things are looking pretty good, some will be 12 week trials.

I'd like to think that in a year or so I may be in the ranks of the cured.  
Either way...... I'll still be old.  : )

willy
Well.........., waiting for best answer (with washcloth over my shoulder)
The best answer got deleted.
deleted or depleted? oink