Hepatitis C Community
Taking Disability?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Taking Disability?

I am struggling with the notion of taking disability. On one hand, there are mornings I wake up so exhausted that I have to drag myself in front of my desk -- I telecommute, thank God -- and even on good days I'm still kind of tired. Then there's the intermittant brain fog.

I am concerned that forcing myself to work may complicate or impede my treatment. My doctor discontinued my Tx due to extremely low platelets last Friday, and he's waiting for Monday's bloodwork (including an HCV load) before deciding what to do. If I do go back on Tx, I may want to think about taking a short term (less than three months) disability to settle into my Tx and stablize my health. My main concern is that I work in IT and I'm afraid I may lose my job.

What have others done regarding disability? And does anyone know of legal advice/resources I may turn to regarding my employment situation?

Thanks!

Christine
http://www.hcvadvocate.org/hepatitis/About_Hepatitis_pdf/1.1.1_Living_With_HepatitisC/gettingdb.pdf

I also have a paper I can email you if you want to contact me, its:   ***@****

I am too brain fogged to fill out the papers, but I have got to get around to it, at first I thought you couldnt own more than 3000 dollars  in assets, savings, bank accounts, bonds, IRAS etc, so I gave up, but then I found you can apply under SSI, there are two kinds, Im not sure...but read about it, cuz it is getting easier to qualify if you know how and can do some of the paperwork for them.  Depression is a good one to add in with the fatigue, and cognitive function (lack of, as in Brain Fog!!)     So, good luck to you!!  OHC
I use FMLA and take it day by day ... sometimes I feel great, others rotten. FMLA allows 480 hours (I believe) per year and this has worked out great for me.
Whats FMLA???????????
Go to the link below and read up ... FMLA is a life-saver!

http://www.dol.gov/esa/whd/fmla/

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

Synopsis of Law

Covered employers must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 workweeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for one or more of the following reasons:

* for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee;
* for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care;
* to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child, or parent) with a serious health condition; or
* to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
I am just finishing up my 12th week of short term disability from my company's insurance program with aetna.  I have had no problems from work or the insurance company.  All my doctor had to say was that I had Hepatitis C and could not work from the chronic fatigue and depression.

I am actually going to apply for longterm disability now as I start treatment and I have two small children.  I can't possibly work, run a household and manage the kids while on interferon, at least in the beginning.  At least that is ehat I have heard.  I am hoping they accept the long term paper work.  I have paid my into my company's private insurance plan for years, I should be able to benefit from the disability program at a time like this, right?
Hi there I think you should take it for sure! Like someone said you can't be sacked for being sick...  but if you pushed yourself to work in a state of brain fog & aching bla bla then you could be sacked for making mistakes all over the place ... Take the rest then You come back after Tx fully refreshed etc Good Luck