Hepatitis C Community
Tender, slightly bloated abdomen

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Tender, slightly bloated abdomen

Since being diagnosed with HCV, I've really never exibited any symptoms at all.  I'm healthy and lead a very active lifestyle.

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive (I don't think I'm a  hypochondriac) but recently I've notice a tender bloated feeling in my abdomen.

Could this be an indication of liver inflammation?  Has anyone else experienced this and if so...what was it?

My husband was really upset last night because he was experiencing the same thing.  But he was also experiencing pains in his back and abdomen.  He is not currently going through treatment.  Anyone experience this?
before starting tx noticed upon examination of abdomen that right side seemed bloated and if pressed on painful. i do have an inflammed liver...seems to be getting better as tx goes on.
I had that too. My doctor told me HCV "lives" in our intestines as well as other places of course but there is a concentration of the virus in our intestines and that is why we have intestinal problems with HCV. One thing I have noticed is that people that clear HCV and obtain SVR often comment on how a their intestinal problems disappeared. I am sure that is why. Mine cleared up almost immediately after I started treatment and the virus was suppressed by the meds.I hear many say the same thing happened to them.
If you never knew or never had hep-c you would view this pain as just a muscle pull or something else. It amazing how we all tend to associate all aches and pains with hep-c.  I assure you people without hep-c have pains as well.

Ron
Ron, good point that I wondered about myself.  

Don't know.  Had a ruptured spleen in 1990 and they sewed a piece of mesh into my abdomen that sometimes cause strange sensations.  This came up over the past couple of weeks and felt different.
Yes, and also I had to/have to sit arched to the left because otherwise it feels as if there is a "big rock" on my right side undermy ribs and above my hip...it's like it gets between the two and hurts/uncomfortable when "squashed"...lol...lack of a better word.
Honestly...I think I poked myself there so many times I made it happen to me.  I all of a sudden got VERY conscious of where my liver was and kept being all touchy feely with it.  Of course after that it HAD to hurt!

I never had any symptoms in 25 years and wouldn't have known I had it but once I did wowowowowow every single thing that happened to me was "because of my liver".

LOL.

We can REALLY be a bunch of babies!  :)
Oh gosh I thought it was me.  My right side is more swollen than my left and my abdomin (abdomen) is swollen as well.  I was thinking I was going to have to hit the crunches real hard.  Was hesitating because of the soreness of my right side.  Not sure if I should exercise / crunches or not?
That bloated fullness feeling under the right rib is pretty common. I've experienced it before (it comes and goes), and I've spoken with many heppers who have had the same thing happen. Not sure exactly what causes it to happen in all cases, but with liver disease the liver can swell due to inflammation. And although the liver doesn't have nerve endings, the sheath that encapsulates it does. If the sheath is getting stretched a bit containing a swollen liver, I suspect this may be one possible cause for a sensation of fullness under the rib. Also, it's not uncommon to HCV-ers to have gallstones (like myself for instance). Gallstones can cause both subtle and overt sensations of pain or discomfort. Sometimes the pain is felt under the rib as a form of "liver pain", or in the middle back or elsewhere in a referred manner, like in the shoulder for instance. Gallstones can also inhibit the flow of bile into the digestive tract which can cause indigestion, especially after greasy meals (the body uses bile to break down and digest fats). This can also produce a sense of fullness or mild discomfort that feels like "liver pain". Hope this helps some, good luck.
Glad to see you're still on patrol checkin what we 'really' mean...
<i>Honestly...I think I poked myself there so many times I made it happen to me. I all of a sudden got VERY conscious of where [it] was and kept being all touchy feely with it. Of course after that it HAD to hurt!</i>

Ahem! You sure you're talking livers with the rest of us? Just checkin'.
Hey Bud! I was just fixin' to check in on you between making the youngun's lunch and stuff. I read where you hit the end of your rope. I'm glad it's over for you -- I know I was ready when I stopped  at 25 weeks and so you must have been that much more so. Here's to SVR for both of us. When will you have your first follow up test?

Best to you Don. You're an inspiration to many. Be well.
Oooops. Almost forgot. Be sure to say Hi to Big Chuck. I wouldn't want to get on his bad side (or any side for that matter... but that's just me).
Actually Goof I think the end of the rope hit me and I just stopped hittin back...You always give the kid's lunch this late or is this for tomorrow?
Been playing phone tag w/doc's office, so don'r really know, though it's only been about 8 weeks since my clear Pcr at 39. Wasn't in a real rush once I started feelin better which was just about as soon as I stopped the meds. I'll call tomorrow again. Wanna at least get in and get a cbc and some lookin over to see where my body stands at this point. They'll be monitoring and plans but right now I'm enjoying feeling better, don't know if I'm at 60,70 or 80% yet but everybody seems to be mentionin I'm seemin better since I lost that gray pallor and on the edge of a precipice look in my eye.
Hey now I wanta a PJ sandwhich, maybe I'll carry it to the table in my son's old Goofy and Mickey lunch box.
Hope life's treating you well,
Don
Ya know Big Chuck and his little band of never do wells have been attackin me more lately. Cramping in forearms and hands at work, maybe arthritis or age or vit deficiency, but sometimes my thumb just seems to almost snap locked against my palm. Last few nights been dealin with the Charley horses at night but they seem to pick different spots in my leg at random.
Don
I thought the no flax seed oil thing was if you are on tx. Is it bad even after you dont have the virus?
Mais non, mon cherie. Like a well oiled machine, frequent use and ample lubrication keep things humming right along. <small> gotta do something with the flaxseed oil since I'm not s'posed to ingest it...</small>
Didn't Goof mention that he had some snap lock problem with his thumb? think it involved anther digit as well?? my mind escapes me...
Oh h_ll, I dunno. Too hard to keep track. That's whyI stopped ingesting the stuff and now only apply it externally.