Tested positive hep c. Age 27.
Today I found out that I tested postive for hep c with a signal cutoff ratio of 1.7 the dr that saw me asurred me that haveing a low s/c ratio is good and can cause a false positive. Also haveing a viral over load to be sure of things. I'm really scared...... So I guess at one time I had came in contact with HCV and it's possible I have antibodies since the test is reading a low s/c ratio???? Is it possible the test is picking up diff antibodies and not HCV??? Has anyone ever seen a low s/c ratio like 1.7 and have a true positive?  Can the s/c ratio ever increase over time with out coming into contact w/ HCV?? I'll make sure the viral over load is very sensitive as well. The CDC claims that s/c ratio of >3.8 increase the chances greatly of being a true postive. I'm just so perplexed by my s/c ratio. Please any advice would help. I have a new born and newly wed as well. God bless you all and thank you for your time.

Isaiah
Hi I completely understand your panic.  Try not to panic.
There is another test that needs to be done that tests for your Geno type and viral load.
The test you took just says you have been in contact, your body may have fought it off.
Gosh, I guess I was lucky, the doctor that diagnosed me, did all that work before talking to me. He tested me for HCV, when I tested positive he then had the blood tested for the geno and viral; all before talking to me.  Of course I freaked out, cried, etc.  In your case, please wait till the facts are in.  
I am sorry you are going through this.
If I were you I would ask for the geno type test, then go from there.
I am sure more knowledgeable people will be along very soon.
There are many wonderful people on here who will help.
Take a deep breath
Hang in there, all is not lost, I promise
hi there and welcome to the forum. I agree with Dee try not to panic its not the end of the world but i perfectly understand your panic i think everybody once felt like you do right now but take a deep breath and try to calm down you have got alot on at the moment, new baby newly wed try and get yourself as well as informed as possible there is alot of very useful info available on this site and a lot of people willing to help and guide you through it all and we are always here to support you and your family. Good luck, keep posting and ask as many questions that you want. Kind Regards Jules. ps congratulations on your wedding and the birth of your baby!
Sounds like you have only had the HCV "antibodies test" and yes that is a very low S/co ratio.
With a weak positive like that there is a good chance it was a "false postive."
This test is very sensitive for any antibody in the blood and can sometimes 'cross -react with antibodies to other conditions ..hence the "false positive"

The doctor who did this test should now run a HCV/RNA by PCR test to ascertain if this  is indeed the case.
Good luck...
Will
To check geno type do you have to have the live virus or can they tell by antibodies. I mean if I am truly positive I know checking the geno type is the next step. Can I ask what causes a s/c ratio to be diff from one person to the next. I've been reading people having 1-22 s/c ratio 8 being the cut off for no further testing for false positive. I'm just trying to hang to any hope possible. The dr that gave me my results had told me he had an s/c ratio of 2.4 he had to positives and the viral load negative, I guess to try to comfort me. I did have a disease called ITP which is an autoimmune disease. Last question can my s/c ratio increase by itself if I have no exposure? You people are wonderful. If I am positive I will need you all. I can't break down for my families sake. God bless you all.

Isaiah
Correction. My sc ratio is 1.17 sorry.....
As stated above, the antibody test only says that you have antibodies, not the virus itself. In your case you may not even have the antibodies, but the only way to know is an HC-RNA PCR quantitative analysis, as stated by willbb. That is the only way to know for sure. It sounds like you have a very good shot at a false positive, good luck..Mark
Thank you guys for your support. Correct me if I'm wrong here. The s/c ratio would increase over time due to your body creating antibodies to fight the virus thus causing the virus to spread by latching onto antibodies. How long would this take overtime for this process to happen. I know they do 1 month 2 month and 6 month blood draws when an exposure occurs. I work with patients. I haven't had any exposure until recently (how I found out I was positive) the patient is negative. I have tattoos. Last time was 3 years ago. Platlet transfusion to remove my spleen due to the autoimmune disease ITP when I was 15. Surely my s/c ratio would be higher than 1.1 over the years if I did have the virus right ???!!?! I'm looking for anything I can stay strong with. Please be straight with me if you have anything to say. Thank you and God Bless.

Isaiah.
If I were you, I would forget about the ratio, it really tells you nothing about whether you have the virus or not, only a hcv pcr-rna test will do that...Mark
Ok. Thank you Mark. Just trying to hold onto any hope of it being a false positive. May I ask if you have been through this (Mark)? I'm not trying to be disrespectful. Just how were you than and now. And what was your s/c ratio if I could ask if that's ok with you. God bless you all.

Isaiah
I have treated my hep c for a total of 4 years and 4 months and have had the virus for at least 35 years, I do have a little experience. Latest was 48 weeks of failed treatment with triple/incivek. I think that you have a good chance at a false positive, but the mentioned test is the only way to know for sure. I am a bad example of the effectiveness of treatment, go to the social forum and see how many people are being cured, called svr, but cured non-the-less. I would suggest that you stop worrying until you know that you have the virus and the ONLY  way to know is a HCV PCR-RNA test, good luck...Mark
I see that I didn't answer all of your questions. I have never been sick from hep c, only from treatment. I have always returned to completely normal very quickly after end of treatment. I was diagnosed years ago, when it was called non-a, non-b and I have no idea what my ratio was. It really doesn't matter, because I have the virus for sure...Mark
Mark thank you for your time and patients with me. You alone are hope for many and for many that did not know they had it. You seem very strong and I'm thankful you are doing well and responding well. Mark thank you. I know if I am positive there is still hope and I'm sorry for thinking that there would be minimal. But you are prof that there is hope for many many years. God bless you. I will keep you all  in the loop. You are amazing people.

Isaiah
My sister has the same situation as yours , and the ratio is 1.1 although 9 months ago it was 0.1 ! There is Antibody ... She is panicked too , hope it is a wrong positive for you and her .
I believe it is fairly unlikely that you actually have HCV with such a low score, and I remember reading that false positives are often a cross-reaction, where the test is picking up on other antibodies, such as from a recent influenza infection or vaccine, but despite my best efforts I can't seem to locate the original source of that information. Try to keep your fears in check until after you get the HCV PCR test back. If it does come back positive it is reason for concern, but it is far from being any sort of death sentence. There is a huge range of possibilities in how much the virus affects an individual, but it is commonly very slow to progress, and treatments are improving at a very rapid rate now. I acquired the virus in 1984 and first treated (unsuccessfully) in 1990. By 2004 mine had progressed to cirrhosis (this was relatively rapid compared to usual rates of progression) and I treated again in 2005-6, but it was unsuccessful again. When the protease inhibitors first came out in 2011 I treated a third time, and now I'm cured! My liver is still functioning okay inspire of the cirrhosis, and my hepatologist expects me to have a normal lifespan.
I'm sure she is waiting for the viral load as well as i am. If I had choice i would prefer to have it than your sister. I pray she is ok. Look up the CDC and signal to cut off ratios with false positive hep c test. Please keep us updated as I will do the Same. Best wishes and God bless.

Isaiah
Your story have me chills my friend. You went through all that and you fought and now your cured!!!! I'm sorry you had to go through that and I'm sure you've always looked at life diff from most in a good way never taking anything for granted again. I guess I feel like I would feel that way, ***** that it would have to be that way to see clearly. Your story is pure inspiration. Thank you for sharing a glimpse of your life with me. God bless you and I'm thankful you are cured my friend.
Will find results out today.....
Was found negative by viral load with an sc ratio of .9 these past two weeks I've had a reality check. I've asked for forgiveness that I would have to be possibly diagnosed with something to realize how I have been living and not truly living. I knew that my life no matter the final result would change, but for the better. People like you all are amazing and beautiful. The courage of 10 man I feel from you all. I've done a lot of reading and have seen that treatment is the best it's ever been so I know giving up and losing hope is not an option. I am thankful for all of you for taking the time to hear me. God love you and bless you always.

Isaiah