Hepatitis C Community
Testing Costs?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Testing Costs?

Hello!

How expensive is a hepatitis test? I do not have insurance, so I'll be paying the full cost. I have Gilbert's Syndrome, so I am regularly jaundiced, but I have reason to believe I've been exposed (via sexual contact).

I'd like to find out for sure, so I'm looking for a doctor, but I'd like to know about how expensive these tests can be. I've looked all over the internet, but I can't find any estimates.

Thanks!
you can get the complete A,B & C test for under $300 or just test for one for around $100. there are companies that test on internet without seeing a doctor. just google blood test and several will come up. after payment they email you a lab slip to take to a lab near you for blood to be drawn then they email you the results within a few days. best of luck
go give blood at a blood drive or serum bank. at the serum bank they pay you.
its only a preliminary test but its free.
A patient should never donate blood as a free way to test for Hiv or hep.  What if the person is pos and the sample slips through?
thats like saying no one should ever donate blood products because the screening system is unreliable. i agree with your high moral concept but in reality i doubt it will mean much. i guess you are not familiar with the types of people who give serum.
from what i have seen they are mostly alcoholics and drug addicts.  i sure hope the screening system is effective. no screening method is perfect but statistically the particular error that you cite is very small and maybe nonexistent.
when the world trade centers fell, 5000 new cases of hep c were discovered in the following blood drive.
i would argue that many more lives would be helped by early diagnosis if people realized they could screen for this for free. this is just my personal opinion but i believe our blood supplies are as safe as they can be for practical purposes.
forgot where i saw it but you can also get a Hep test mailed to you for free or like $10 through one of the advocacy groups. also most local healh depts will send you to a clinic to be tested for free.
Cruel, I wish I had as much confidence in the safety of blood products as you do.  I got HCV from a blood transfusion in 1982 along with 10% of other recipients (with full knowlege and nondisclosure from the FDA and Red Cross).  I then donated blood in 1987 and the blood bank didn't catch it or I assume as much b/c I didn't get a letter notifying me I was declined as a donor.  And I don't know why I'd think blood is safer these days.

Sojourner, your local county or city health clinic will test you for about $10.

Best regards,

KF
I believe hiv and hep b/c testing should be included in routine, yearly physical exams.  Being tested for Stds and hep c in a yearly physical setting, where the blood sample is destoyed afterward is a lot different than donating blood for someone else to use as a way to get yourself tested.

Can a person who is a drug addict donate blood?  that is a scary thought.

Most doctors will tell you not to donate blood or serum as a way to get tested.