Hepatitis C Community
The Finish Line is Back in Sight

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

The Finish Line is Back in Sight

Hello Cyber people.  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I began triple treatment with Victrelis on 9-1-2011.  Hep C, Gen 1 (African American female).  Beginning VL 10,7000,000.  SOCs alone, Week 4 results: 329,000.  SOCs + VIC, Week 8 results: UND.  SOCs + VIC, Week 12 results: >43, Week 17: UND, Week 21 UND!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Because of week 12 (drastic dose reductions), there was a good chance I was going to have to treat for 48 weeks.  But after going over the numbers again today and a long discussion with my new doc, he based his decision on my response to the 1st 4 weeks on VIC, and because of that.......I only have to do 28 weeks total, so that means only 6 more weeks to go!!!!!!  Since today begins week 22, he feels I will stay UND through week 24.  (My lab weeks are a bit off because I was being monitored more often due to Anemia, then ANC count, and the week 12 issue)

THANK YOU ALL for your support, understanding, advice, prayers and smiley faces :)
Bee
That's great news, congratulations Bee.

On-Treatment Management of Hepatitis C Patients
clinicaloptions.com/hepatitis

RVR: An Early Guide to Success
Patients who achieve an RVR have a very high chance of
achieving an SVR
This applies to pegIFN/RBV with or without a protease
inhibitor
But
With a protease inhibitor, many more patients achieve an
RVR
– Defined as Wk 4 of triple therapy (ie, Wk 8 of the treatment
course in pts receiving BOC)
So happy for you , great news.
You must be terribly relieved.  Good news.  Fingers crossed for ya. :)
Well, that's good news!!
Congratulations! I also have 6 more weeks on Vic! Can't wait, but I'm doing 36 wks. Can finally see the end of the tunnel! Take care it will be over before we know it.

Linda
Best news ever. so glad for you Bee
great news!!  bee, i'm so happy for you.  belle
that is fantastic news!  What a great surprise and it will be over before you know it.  Happy for ya
That's great news, congratulations Bee.

clinicaloptions.com/hepatitis

RVR: An Early Guide to Success
achieving an SVR
inhibitor
But
RVR
course in pts receiving BOC)
Congratulations! I bet that finish line is looking really, really good right now! Good job on persevering!
Oh, Bee, I am so glad to see this post.  I thought those 12 week results were a fluke but maybe they were due to substantial dose reductions (which is a scary thing in itself).

You are doing some procrit now?  How often?  I hope they are able to keep your hgb where it needs to be through the end.

bean
Great news Bee! I am at the halfway mark finally and was UND at 8 and 12...thank God!
Wonderful!!!
Thank you everyone!  I am relieved.....but also scared another shoe is going to drop.  I went over all the factors to be sure: African American, drastic dose reduction, week 12 results.  The doc checked and rechecked the protocols and felt confident that the correct path is 28 weeks for me, inspite of the hiccups.

Aquisi -- thanks for the protocols!  He initially thought I was detected at week 8, when it was really week 12.  I fought to get that cleared up, or I would still be doing the full 48.  I think the week 8 and week 17 results knocked out week 12 (so to speak).

Frijole -- Hi!  No Procrit for me right now.  During this whole time, I only had to do 2 injections.  My HGB is low (9.9) but stable.  Stairs and inclines are still not my friend.  I am nowhere near how I was feeling in November when I had the transfusion, so I am just taking it one day at a time.  Yesterday was not a good day.  Today is better.

Be blessed everyone!
Bee
It is wonderful that you will be finished with treatment very soon and do not have to do extra weeks. It is always great to hear good news.
could.not be happier for u. We r right alongside each other. Yay!
Glad to hear you're on the 28 wk!!! My hgb came in  a lil higher today-8.7-big whoop! No rescue meds, no blood transfusion yet and hep doc not in today. I'm staggering from bed to bath. wbc 2.01. It's been dose reduction of riba for 2 weeks now-I hope this changes soon.
Very happy for you.  I remember when you started and you have been so brave.  Congratulations.  How wonderful it will be to be free of Hep C.
indy - my heart goes out to you. I think your treatment doctor is .... well, I won't say, but you get the picture!  8.7 would be unbearable.  Mine was 9.1 last Wednesday but has probably dropped since then..  I never knew I would be one of those heavy breathers - ha ha.  The last two hours of the day at my desk are a waste. All I can think of is the comfort of the couch. So there you go - heavy breathing couch potato!

bee - I am amazed that you are fine on only 2 shots of procrit but I know you must be closely monitored and don't want to over do the rescue drug. I guess you feel pretty good about the new doctor.  Now, is he the had of the hepatology department?

bean ( the farther I get into treatment the more I can't type frijole - the letters are all in the wrong places on the keyboard and I am constantly hitting the back button to correct spelling. Yet bean just flows out of my fingers.  I wanted to be bean when I started MH but it was taken - probably be someone on another board)
Great news...
I'm really jealous, but you're the one who did the hard work.
Enjoy, the rewards.
I love it...
So happy for you!  You're almost there.  Congratulations.
Advocate1955
Pooh, AJ, Libzo, Revalation, Advocate -- Thank you for your kind words :)  I am wishing you all the best.

Indy -- Wow your HGB is low!  I wonder what your doc's magic number is before they get you something?  I can imagine how you must be feeling.  Remember Crossroads had to really fight to get Procrit, even after a transfusion.

Frijole -- Yep.  He's the head of the department and he was so chill :o)

You know how on school field trips they tell everyone to "find your buddy" so you can look out for each other?  Well, aj538 and I started tx on the same day and have been cyber buddies ever since.  THANKS AJ!!  As much support as we get in this forum, it has been equally important to have 1 or more people check in via private messages, on a weekly basis.  We are all total strangers but the support has been amazing!!  And through the brain fog, fatigue, and Anemia.......just the reminder that it's the "Friday Night Dart Club" or that it's "Week #22", is a huge help. Wishing you all the best results on your journey!

Hugs & thanks,
Bee