Hepatitis C Community
The cost of boceprevir and or telaprevir

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Does anyone know what the projected cost of boceprevir and or telaprevir is going to be?
Probably only Vertex and Merck have an Idea at this point. There doesn't seem to be any real factual information about it.

Welcome to the forum-Dave
I'm sure it will be very expensive.  Probably along the lines of whatever they charged for the HIV meds when they came out.  I have no idea what that is.  It won't be a cost someone can pay for privately.
peg + riba = 2500/month  add tela or boce figure 3500 / month - minimum - this is actual cost - your cost will depend on your insurance
Pharma must have made a fortune off of hepc.
There would be no new drugs if there wasn't a financial incentive.  One of the perks of living in a capitalist country.

The whole medical community, doctors, hospitals, pharm companies are motivated first by money. Somewhere down the list is helping people.
"Pharma must have made a fortune off of hepc."

As Judy said it's financially driven. For those with hcv that's a good thing though, since there are so many of us Pharma is chomping at the bit for the big bucks which goes hand in hand with a cure, right?

Take care,
Dave
Thanks for all the replies. I was thinking about waiting for the new drugs to come out but being on Medicare the cost may double what the SOC is now.