Hepatitis C Community
This board is a mess, too much spam, not enough room to breath

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

This will get me in much trouble, but this board has become unusable for me anyway, so I think a bit of truth as I see it is a good parting gift.

We have been flooded with spammers, it is a common tactic on any message board and especially effective on this board because if we try to question a post, we get rebuked for being unkind to a "newbie". Now there are some newbies here and I still recognize the old timers, but mixed in with them, are so many folks, masquerading as Hep C sufferers and spamming our board.

I wouldn't even venture a guess as to whether it is Vertex, wanting to stop the sharing of info or to folks in the investment community, wanting to stop the sharing of info, but it is still a fact that THIS BOARD IS UNREADABLE, and full of new people and posts that are sometimes ridiculous, they waste our time and then they are gone.

Man, I love jmjm for his "librarian" take and I love "bug" cuz I know she's gotta be that cute, and I admire nygirl for her warrior soul. Kalio, Grand oak, Forseegood, you all know who you are, you all are the greatest. But I hate spam, I'm not Hawaiian and we cannot have a conversation here without being dumped on, too much to sort out and too much stimuli. That is the way spammers work. I am so sad, beyond anything I could put in words, that all this has happened to us.

I am old, but not resistant to change, I will find another place to post. I have to give a bittersweet salute to whomever decided to trash this place, but that is what it is like now, a beautiful place, all littered up by fools, ruining it for the people who need it most. What a ****** up way to make a living.

Willow
I haven't gotten any.????????
How would they find the addresses?  
News to me.   Are you sure you have the right board?

Ron
Im 3months new on this board....havent gotten one spam. When the going gets tough the tough get going. Dont let whoever they are win!! Stand up and fight! We want you and need you here.

There must be more here that meets the eye.

i will probably be blamed next for being panicked and scared last month. Im not blaming anyone..but this is too weird..and people are sick on this forum and dont want to fight about something we have no control  over anyway.

Be well everyone!!!
what is odd to me is how quickly many can find their way here to ask a topic unrelated  question and yet appear to be incapable of doing any research
on their own, aside from coming here. It took me quite awhile to find this site, and I just happened to stumble on it while doing hep c research on the net..don't get me wrong, there are very knowledgeable posters here and I as well have asked them many questions(I do attempt to stay on topic though)...But that doesn't mean that here is where my research ends..I believe many are looking for friendship and comradery, as opposed to info, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion...Of course even my post here on the hep thread could be included in the mix (LOL)
I agree with youon that issue. The past month I see postings from people that arent able to spell at all asking a question and never returning...But who cares we are   here to support each other......the ones that are here......Lets not give the others (fakes) the satisfaction. What for??? Good Lord!!!
???
Going to enjoy my day!!

Be well and dont act like a bunch of pitbulls!!
We are all  in the same boat !!
Everybody apologize and lets get on with it.
You've all been wonderful to me!!
Come on...............lets start anew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so sorry you are having the spamming problem. I'm not getting any here where the whales use to be (Sacto).  Please don't let them drive you away. Come back, it might improve with time. You have contributed a lot. We don't have to answer the people who ask totally unrelated questions like the one above about the pancreas. This is a liver forum.  
My sentiments exactly. "Hi, what are the side effects of doing treatment?' WHAT?  Where does one begin with questions like that? "Hello, let me introduce you to a giant named Google."
     I also found this site only after several months, while doing a search.
  BonnieRobin: I have an in-law who is severely dyslexic. She wouldn't write at all for years out of embarrasement. Those posters who can only write phonetically remind me of her.  I have learned through my experience with her to become more tolerant of such mangling of the written language.
   Have a good weekend, Bonnie  :)
I didnt mean to offend the people writing in that cant spell their question and then never hear from them again. I just thought that was what Willow was refeering to...people just coming on with un-related topics not asking their question in a proper manner and never hearing from them again. Im sorry about your dyslexic relative----No intention to hurt your feelings----
Hope you know that.

Im just and always have been " The Peacemaker"
I like Peace and under these circumstances I think we all should even be more tolerant that the so called avergage person we are all sick and need each other sometimes....sometimes on  a personal level..and most of the time on a medical level.

Feel Well Orphaned Hawk!!  :}
Peace
Well, i am also new here and have not been getting any spam, I have noticed a few names that post, that i really enjoy reading there post and am thankful if they help me, SteveNYer, NYgirl, Bug, JmJM to name a few and there are other out there that I can't remember just off hand.  So to let you all know, i am here to learn and ask question as i go throught the hep b process so we can help each other through this.   I really never talk on message boards but I enjoy talking to you all on this one

Going to Beat this
KU
I have posted to this board, and gotten pretty good info, and I appreciate it,
but I am not a good typist, and don't post often, but read new post's everyday,
I know there must be question's that seem dumb to people with good knowledge about hep c,and appreciate that I have not read any condescending answer's. I have other question's but don't want to be a pain in the posterior,
and have had no spam, well thats my 2 cen'ts worth, Thanks everybody..
Like most discussion groups, there's the usual trols, double-monikers, etc, etc, but also I think a lot of legitimate new people due to the expansion of this discussion group who may seem not in sync, but perhaps they just don't know very much about Hep C, as many of us when we first learn about it. There's always the problem of scaring these people off -- the ones who really need help the most -- by labeling them just on suspicion. I again bring up the name of one of our members "Niceguy" who was called a Trol among many other names when he first came here, but later was accepted -- and made some very important contributions --  when we all understood he was quite genuine, and as his name suggests a very nice guy. My take is that as long as someone isn't hostile, abusive, or engaging in personal attacks, then give them the benefit of the doubt, no matter how "stupid" we think there question may be. I think we all were pretty stupid about HCV when we first heard about it. I know I was.  Hope everyone is enjoying the summer weekend.

-- Jim
Sorry... didn't realize until now we were suppose to respond in both sides of the forum....but saw you duplicate your post here... I sure hope you decide to return from time-to-time to let us know how you are...

Below is my post from the 'other side'... and also FullOfHope.  She was a first responder for me when I came in... funny as helpful as she was ... thought she was an oldtimer... but really appreciates her compassion and wisdome....

EspritLibre1
6/2/2007
C16Don't know where to start but to plunge... ha ha! Look, it is good to speak our minds and sometimes it doesn't make us popular and/or opens us up for attack... Willow is giving her opinion and the way she sees it. Yep, she is a 'she' ... one of her posts said after a bx, "I was weepy...Hey, I'm a girl!" ... which I thought was cute... I digress... But hope she's not referring to the bulk of the newer members as spammers... I'm sure she's not. Been watching from a distance, being new here... but I have just as much right to speak as someone here for only one day or 10 yrs.... there's no pecking order that I see, and if I did, wouldn't conform to it (because it ain't mention in the rules) but that's just me....but there seems to be some underlying attacks here that seems to stem from past history.... THIS IS A SUPPORT FORUM... do we, that are new, have to sit in and watch these snide remarks regarding the PAST, can't they be taken off the forum??? Please... with sugar, honey or whatever your pleasure might be? I may be attacked for posting this but someone's gotta. We don't want to watch an old feud, or I don't (I don't have **** in my pocket so better stop saying 'we' hee hee)... It is just my take may we might want to
Nothing I said was directed at you or anyone in particular, just more or less of a boilerplate response as threads like this appear from time to time, so apologies if I added stuff that may not have pertained to whatever specifically is going on which I probably haven't been following as closely as others. I'm sure "Willows" knows I'm a big supporter of hers as I am of you and practically everyone here. And yes, Willows has been going through a lot (as you have) and certainly both of you have every right to tell it like you see it.

Be well and enjoy your weekend,

-- Jim
No bad feelings between us. I mentioned the spelling thing only because it was something I recently learned.  I think of you as a basically upbeat person.
   Think Peace :)         OH
Let me take a line from my favorite Geico Insurance TV commercial:

"Yes,  I have a response; WHAT????"
I just have to add my two pennies here.

This, I think has taken up far too much time.  

If we all dedicated this much time and effort to world hunger - what fuller bellies everyone would have!

Geesh.

In my humble opinion, for what it's worth......

If someone is doing or saying something inappropriate, shouldn't we just address that issue specifically, and from the onset, without nastiness, without being unkind?  Are we not all capable of that.

For example:

(name of poster):  please do not post on this side of the forum - it is for medical questions only.

(name of poster):  please only post one question, and repost additional comments or questions under the original post.

I may be taking a giant leap here, but I think that perhaps some posters are not malicious -  just unsure of how the forum works, or how we would like it to work - harmless, really, and maybe these posters just need some friendly guidance.

I myself, I'm sure, have stepped on a toe or two in my life - but rarely is that intentional.  I have been offended by comments made on this forum, but take it the same way - as unintentional.

We ALL need to have a little compassion, and not concern ourselves with things that are just NOT IMPORTANT.

I have heard mentioned here plently of times that we all want advice from the "experts" - those who have done this personally.  Why in the world would you tell someone to use "Google" this information.  Google is good, yes, however, we (newbies) are looking for the "real deal" not all the shite you'll find on the net.

Not to say that there are not malicious people that come onto this forum, however........I personally find this board invaluable, despite all the ****, and would hate to see someone leave, because they've come for support and knowledge, and been treated badly.

Just my humble opinion.

I think "willows" is trying to say there is a lot of wacky posting going on not "Spam" in your mail! And there are some strange ones being posted, but me being a reformed poster just read and laugh, keeps me from getting kicked to the curb! Much Luv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since I was diagnosed in Jan. 2005 I have been to many sites...including this one.  Janis' site was where I spent most of my time, although I did post here a couple times that first year.  I felt more comfortable with Janis' format.  Once I got into the Prove trial I started spending more time here as there seem to be more people in the Prove trials here and I wanted to go where I could share and learn from others in the trials.  I think on Janis' site there is only 1 other person that is in Prove 3 and she isn't starting until next week.  There was one other person who was screened and the last I heard was still waiting to hear. I have noticed on Janis that every 6 mos. or so the boards seem to be taken over by new batch of people who have been recently diagnosed or recently started treatment.  I think it is just the natural flow of things. Evenutally I get to know the new people that stay and they become regulars.
The reason I like the other format is that I can easily read only the things I'm interested in and skip the threads I'm not interested in.  But, it's all what you're used to.  In my opinion, it's the new people who keep a site going.  Many people stay after treating but many more move on.  
Truly admire you warriors on your 2nd tx...  FullOfHope starts her 3rd tx this wk.  This is powerful meds and can make us pretty emotional and teary... and thinking of her and you guys... just hoping the best possible results of SVR for you... odd... I came on 2 wks ago wanting to quit, couldn't understand why I couldn't 'cause showing un-detect; and wyntree explained why I couldn't...  and now what a turnaround after my 11th shot, want to talk to doc about extending... 'cause I want to beat this and go once and it scares the bahgeezus out of me being a stage 2 scarring.  bless you both and the very... very best ... be well...
What?  You have something against Hawaiians???

Your SPAM comes from your friends who can't resist hitting the FWD button everytime some stupid joke comes along...
Been wondering how the tx is going for you.  You're probably about 8-10 weeks in now.  How's the 'experiment' going.  PCR results?  Will be looking in your direction next Friday.
My end of week three pcr showed 99.999% reduction waiting for results of week six!!!! The 99.999% reduction was from amount 11/2 months before I started so it may have been more of a drop?
You have been BANNED and you continue to flagrantly violate and disrespect this site and the owners and their guidelines and rules. You act like a child and continually change your name to circumvent the management.

You have harmed many people here and for that reason were told you were NOT welcome. You could care less, you think you can come here and play like you are a decent person but many know your game and that you will soon show your true colors and begin your sleazy, disgusting attack behavior.
Go away and have the decency to respect those that worked so hard to create this. You are not welcome and you should show the owners of MedHelp and the members here some respect. Many good people will not post because of you and your vicious behavior.
Your level of selfishness and disregard for others is monumental and you have lost the right to sully this place. New visitors do not know your history nor do they know all the damage you have caused,  they do now.

New people, WATCH OUT. Dont be fooled by his tone now, because he has been banned for very good reason and banned OVER AND OVER. Yet he weasels his way back by changing his name.

Good news. Forget what your double dose plan was, til undetectable - I think - so you are still at it? How's the riba treating you?
As far as spams,,,,I don't have that either and if its wacky posts,,,there is always that,,,isn't there lol

Hey Space,,,, I doubt very seriously if you would be kicked to the curb lol   Hope you are doing well these days!
Obsessing a little perhaps? The guiding light you definitely aren't and people will form their own opinions of him and of you - even the new members. Give your fellow members credit for having just a modicum of judgment. We don't need your help.  Mike
I can't even barely stand coming here any longer.

It seems to me people just post post post away - asking redundant questions that if they just SCROLLED down a bit they could see the question already asked ten more time.

I can't separate out even FINDING people like you who I know and who would be asking legitimate questions or making legitimate comments anymore

It was MUCH better in the beginning when I joinned when we ALL thought we were only allowed to post TWO QUESTIONS in a six month period.  It REALLY cut down the repetitive junk.

And at that time we only had ONE forum!!!!!!!!!!

I really want to keep coming and offering advice and encouragement and knowledge but..........................it just gets exasperating after a while, you know?

Just want to give you my encouragement - you hang in there. Things come in cycles and school just got out...so give it some time and it should slow right back down again when the kiddies get bored playing with the old people ;)

Debby
As usual, sticking up for your pal regardless of the fact that he has been chronically abusive and banned.

Says a lot.

I could care less what your opinion is considering the company you keep.

New visitors, particularly women, should be made aware of his banned status and his previous abuse and sexual harrassment of women. This is a chronic problem for women online where wimps hide and use their anonimity to abuse women.

He's abused at least 3 women that I can think of of the top of my head and one blatantly sexual harrassed which is what finally got him banned.

Who is "we?" got a mouse in your pocket or are you just unable to defend your opinion alone?

you speak for only yourself like we all do. geez

It is not OK to use the internet as a tool for abuse, particularly sexual abuse.
I don't even visit here on a regular basis, but I check in and view a few questions if I can and I saw he is YET AGAIN violating the rules.
I will continue to warn women to protect the women that are new here as his MO is always to act like a decent human being AT FIRST and then go in for the kill.

I haven't been here in ages Rev.  Not because of spam either.  My mum liked it too. ; ]  NyG is right though, there are just too many posts.  It's kinda like going to one of the big supermarkets and looking for the cereal isle.  You find it then you're so overwhelmed with all the choices you just wanna leave the store.  All I was looking for was a box of Honey Nut Cheerios for Pete's sake. ; ]  I'm the one who did the 73 weeks of daily infergen.  Six months in January this year I was still clear.  I never posted.  I'm the cynical type and kinda want to wait for a year which will be sometime in late July.  I think you're a brat too Rev, but I was really happy to see your name.  I think you were gone for a while but didn't realize you were banned.  Don't think I've been here in months and months.  Anyway, it took me a very long time to find this site.  I was at the end of my 73 weeks then and my brain was half baked.  Not too baked to recognized your very off beat sense of humor which saved me from total insanity.  Thank you.  You have a sister in law, as I remember, who was very ill with hep c and almost died.  Think her name was Margaret.  How is she?
Love and Peace,
LoneStar
I'm reasonably new here and just plopped in here on my ninth wk (do 12 on Fri), but coming in wanted to stop because I had cleared at 4 and a half wks and couldn't understand why I couldn't stop... and doc didn't explain it to my satisfaction.. well I did learn why here. (Thanks to a nice member that actually saw my post and listened and took the time to explain it the best she could.) now approaching/contemplating idea of going on past a year... 'cause I want it to work.  It is brave people like you in tx for so many wks (yrs)... I stop by before work and after and too much to read, so have picked out some members that I know to be helpful and focus on that... and I saw the 'to' and 'from' in your post and read... because I always read that member's comments.. I admitted that one time, and about got choked (or at least felt some one's arm reach out of my screen..ha ha!) but understood no member has the right to control that... and no on has a higher status here... whether people like it or not it is what it is, and quite frankly I'm quite comfortable with that set up.  Controlling ourselves is enough, attempting to control others only make us the fool... During my short time here, like I said, it is limited and limited to certain subjects that catch my eye and specific posters... we have to take what we can with our limited time. Sure glad you came by and nice to see that some people actually get on with their life and has a life because they choose to... you be well...
Was reading  about bad spellers and people not  comeing on here once  they asked  a question. i happen to be one of them.I am  knew to all this  and i have been doing research  on hip c  my husband  has it,not me i am scared for   him and   the test are takeing quit  awhile so not  on much  with  questions, but  i do read whats on here and it  does help. Some people are not  regulars on here that  talk but  i for one do read  whats being  said. sorry   you feel that way about  people. shouldn't matter about  spelling  this is not  what this forum is all about it's about helping people. take care    carol
I'm thinking you need a video too. Black & White. Rev's seated at his ancient mahogany desk inside an old world library. He's dressed in a black tuxedo, white tie, horned rimmed glasses. He closes up a dusty old leather bound medical journal, gracefully stands and sings Marvin Gayes, "What's Going On" He sings it beautifully too. Okay, sign me up, or beam me up. Which ever. ; ]  
LMAO...
Good one ....
Tag Team at it's finest... (NOT)

http://www.tomheroes.com/images/NES%20Great%20Waldo%20Search.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/waldo/images/thumb/f/f7/Where'sWaldoSE.JPG/300px-Where'sWaldoSE.JPG

Now lets see, not only do we have Waldo & his Dog... but we got his hat, & his walking cane, & even the bare breasted woman in the beach scene prior to the 10 yr anniversary edition because it was banned from the library system....

I like all the attempted hidden CLUES in this thread..

SLICK... but not over shadowed

But that's life in Wallys World... Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaa, Haaaaa

Summer Breeze & Mr Lucky & Daniel where some of my favorite additions before now... but this one was the icing on the cake.... Can't wait for the next edition & reinvention,,,, WHOO HOO

Waldo ROCKS!!
I like that... and hadn't seen it for some time ... I'm printing it as we speak.. and like you will keep it close by... thanks for caring... and hope you continue to feel better and better... Libby
I speak for the same people you are pretentious enough to say you're warning.
Abusive? I find you abusive but I don't constantly warn people about you.
What's in my pocket? That might constitute sexual abuse coming from you.
You really don't want to rehash the whole thing yet again? Aren't you concerned with the woman's sensibilities? You probably would bring up that thread again to further what you think is your image and to engage in your vindictiveness.
How's the restructuring coming? I saw you post exactly what I told you about URQ pain when someone asked about it but you never admitted you were totally wrong with your silly restructuring theory. LOL
You're trite.
Mike

Rev had made two posts just before Libby's last and now they're gone.  Glad I got to speak with him again.  Bye then Scott.

Libby/  Glad you liked the words.  Pretty powerful, huh?
Yes, powerful words... this place is in a sad state of affairs (I wonder if some are treating... and read one post where someone has been here yrs and never tx'd ... perhaps I misunderstood...) and really difficult to connect to anyone... I have managed to get my email (in around about way to a couple stable quiet-minded people.. and hopeful revenire picked up on that...) ...wonder why he asked that his name be removed? In a way, understand why he did it... I went by community to find a response to something and couldn't make heads/tails and couldn't find my note to someone.. I will remember what you've said... and truly hope you get better and better with each passing day... you came at the perfect moment...

Esprit,

What a lovely and thoughtful post you made to me.  You are fortunate, indeed to be here.  Though I found the site very late in my treatment, I don't know if I could have finished without it.  It's not that I talked with many, it was the reading I think.  I had felt so alone and alienated and then to walk into a world full of people who recognized me because they were wounded the same as I was somehow kept me sane.  I don't know your particulars because I haven't been on the site in many months.  I do know that you must be a very brave soul to already be contemplating extended treatment.  There's a poem I first read as a teenager.  It has stayed with me throughout my life.  I had copied it onto paper and read it to myself so many times during my treatment that the paper was falling apart at the end.  Maybe it will help you too.  It goes like this:

Invictus
William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Peace, Strength and Love to you Esprit.

LoneStar
Bon Vivant Lady, {{Hint-Hint}} Vicky

Here's a Waldo for you:

I saw your post and couldn't help but laugh. It's good to see that you have maintained your humor! I would recognize it anywhere!

I certainly have thought about you a lot, and hope you'll remember me.

We met up north!

We actually rode the train together to Denali and I shared my last piece of reindeer sausage with you, I believe you were approaching your 100th week of treatment?

Now do you remember?

I kept your card with all your scribbles and have been diligently lurking and looking for you again since 2005, I guess it was hit or miss.  It wasn't until another member here called you by your real name, and your old screen name before I could put two and two together (thank heavens for small miracles) then when I came here and saw you joking around, I knew it had to be you

I really hope it is, If so, just wanted to tell you that you encouraged me to face my own demons and I have decided to treat myself.

I am actually here in the lower 48 to get a second opinion in Seattle. I understand you are near. I would love nothing more than to meet up with you again, or at least maintain an e-mail contact. Please, please contact me at my screen name {all lower case no space} at yahoo.

Hope this wasn't to forward
Rebecca
Rebecca..???
That's Lonestars name...LoL.. maYbe it was poetic wax's friend Breezes buds name too..????

Okay... Ms Moonlight Wysteria, no offense but I can't really BITE right now... maybe later...Okay... You actually stuck your foot in an OLD OLD Trap... Dumb Ba

A friend of my youngest daughters died this past weekend (18 yrs old) & I just found out late yesterday evening...

Funeral is today...

She was a lost partying soul since 14..... drank vodkka & choked on her own vomit... so I really don't have the time nor inclination to play with you right now Chev... I don't know how many names you feel you need to invent (especially at one time)... isn't one at a time enuff... & as entertaining as it is...your flitting around being ms social butterfly & playing sick games will have to wait... SORRY!!!

Go Get Some Help
OH & do yourself a favor tell your alter ego her buddy's post were automatically removed... request my A$$...Guess you had a brain farrt!... LoL..

Nice Try!

BTW..
BITE ME!!!!

Oh my goodness, I see exactly what you mean.