Hepatitis C Community
Thrombocytopenia

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Thrombocytopenia

During tx my platelets count dropped to under 80k and Hgb 9.2.  My labs came back today - 12 weeks post tx with platelets down to 19k (but WBC, RBC and Hgb normal).  My hepitologist says go see a hemotologist.  I've read some articles, and it seems that interferon is a clear contributor to low plt.  

Any others have this complication?  What treatment(s) would be undertaken?  Another big problem with tx, and I've had my share.

Thanks, G
-2 Comments Post a Comment
Platelets at 19 (or 19,000) is pretty darn low.  For people who are on tx the stop/reduce IFN point is around 20-25.  You should see a hemo to see what's going on 12 weeks post.  My understanding is that there are a couple/few things (with, I think, a tird in trial) a hemo can consider.  Neumega (google) is usually indicated for cancer patients on chemo and I read that it's rugged sx stuff.  Another is platelet transfusion.  See the hemo, hope it works out.
In addition to FL Guy's message, you should at least repeat this test , run it as STAT --- in 2 hrs you'll have your results back.

Sometimes platelets are miscounted ... and manual count is needed.

All the best
I had 20.000 platelets 4 weeks after start of Tx and did not stop treatment on my own responsibility. I am in week 35 now...
You should check all coagualation factors now. If the are well, the risk of severe bleeding is less high. Avoid all additional medication, which have an influence on platelets or coagulation or could cause gastrointenstinal bleeding (antidepressiva, especially SSRI, aspirin, non-steroidal antirheumatics/analgetics like ibuprofen).

Oh yeah, drive carefully to avoid accidents (bleeding does not stop well) and be friendly to strong and angry people :-)

Thanks for info folks, seeing a hemo tomorrow and he also has interests in liver, so hopefully can straighten this all out.  I also was told that having the splenic vein thrombosis can be part of the whole scenario, since clotting will concentrate platelets and the spleen targets platelets for "removal".  Hope this gets resolved without more complications.  Interferon is clearly listed as a contributing cause of thrombocytopenia. Thanks, G
You were correct, Plt dropped to 14k, and I am now in the hospital on a 5 day regiment of IVIG.  After 1st dose, 400, jumped up to a wopping 24K, but good sign that bome marrow supporting production.  Doc is checking thyroid autoimune and other causes.  Seems the INF is the culprit.  This sucks.  
So you're writing from a hospital bed?  Hope you fee ok otherwise. Take care and take advantage of the time to get some rest on your bones.
Yep, they have free wireless internet here.  Plt doubled to 34k, so can go home today and do outpatient for last 3 doses.  Running other tests to determine what is cause of drop, the hep and hemo boys are working together and still thinking recovery from the INF.  INF sx can be very serious as many of us are finding.  Otherwise feel better and will be in the garden this afternoon cutting the glads!
Regards, G