Hepatitis C Community
Time for Transfusion....dang it

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Time for Transfusion....dang it

Hi everyone.  Just got off the phone with my nurse, after a LENGTHY discussion about my doctor's appointment yesterday and about my labs I did again yesterday.  Short version: My numbers have tanked even lower, so I DO need a blood transfusion this week.  There were a LOT of factors involved in this that are private, so don't beat me up too badly.  I have been pretty open here but this is one of those times, I can't share anymore, as every individual has different factors.

My nurse is African American and knows how important it is for me to have the best outcome, but not at the cost of my life (so to speak).  I have been borderline anemic probably a good deal of my life, so I am looking forward to feeling better.  Gonna go lie down now.  Thanks for all of the advice.  I fought a good case (you would be proud).  But in the end, I have to agree with this course of treatment for me at this time.  She explained it in a way that made sense to me, so I didn't just concede.  Keep the faith!  I probably won't chime in on questions and answers for a few days, but hope to still read about how everyone else is doing.  Beeeee Blessed =)
Bee,

You are the only one that knows your circumstances.....I will be praying for higher lab values and more energy for you and of course UND:-)

Big Hug for YOU

Vann
You just do whatever you have to do to feel better! I have NO regrets about mine. I'm still going n blowing! Even took labs out to 2 weeks. You're gonna do fine.. You are a fighter! Making me smile... Xoxoxo Karen :)
really, sometimes we just have no choice if we want to stay on treatment.  Do what ever it takes that you can stand.  Sounds like you have a good doc who is willing to help you make sense of everything.  Your in my thoughts and prayers for a good outcome with the transfusion!
Bee,

Big Hug for YOU

Vann
I made it through and have been resting the past couple of days.  I know some people feel instantly better after a transfusion, but I didn't.  I actually felt about the same, until the next afternoon.  Think I was just exhausted from the long process/day. Will go for labs tomorrow to re-check my HGB.  Thank you for your kind words, prayers and support.

Hugs =)
Bee
bee
I am sorry to hear you have had to transfuse, but I hope it helps.  What did your hemoglobin get down to?  THe Victrelis is lowering my HGB a lot faster than the SOC I did years ago, but I just started procrit so hope it will do the job.

Take it easy
frijole
When I got to the point I couldn't stand up for more then a minute I knew I needed a transfusion.  I did feel better rather quickly, but am sliding down.  Now on increased procrit and decreased riba and feel better.  I have no regrets about the transfusion myself.  My docs are against transfusions, but this happened on the week end and I went to the ED.  I had an HGB o 8.  I know others have gone lower.  Everyone has their own tolerance level for low HGB.  It's more then a number.