Tinnitus and anemia on treatment
Anemia is known to cause ringing in the ears and I've talked to a number of people who ended up with tinnitus after going through treatment.  I've been wondering about the connection to anemia, particularly since I notice dull almost-popping in my ears at various times so far during treatment that borders on more and my hgb has always hovered in the lower ranges.  I would not be at all surprised to find that my hgb is low-er at the times that I'm experiencing this.  

I've known others who got tinnitus while on treatment and their docs told them there was no connection but I think there definitely is and particularly due to low hgb.

Opinions?
Meant to include this link on causes of Tinnitus .. anemia is there.

http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/tinnitus/TIN_causes.html
You first might want to rule out congestion in the eustachian tube, or a misunderstood (and under-diagnosed) condition called LPR Reflux, which often has none of the symptons of ordinary reflux such as heartburn. If bothersome, a visit to a good ENT should help sort it out. Meanwhile, some steam and perhaps a decongestant might help.

-- Jim
I'm not actually having a problem with tinnitus, I pay attention to what's going on in my ears, as I know that tinnitus is a permanent condition.  What's going on in MY ears is tolerable.  

I'm more pondering this in general rather than in relation to me, from the different people I've talked to that are convinced their tinnitus is a result of their treatment despite what their doctor say.  Talked to too many with that common situation.  So just wondered what others thought.

Trish
I have it (tinnitus) and ascribed it to medications. I did not have it so much before transplant and the ensuing drugs for anti rejection and for HCV TX. I hope it is not permanent. Need to read!
I had constant loud ringing in the ears when my hemo bottomed out.  It was one of the most annoying things that I've ever experienced.  As soon as the procrit hit and my hemo went back up over 10 it stopped.  It DEFINTELY was a result of the anemia no two ways about it.
nygirl, thanks for that.  I'm glad to know it stopped for you.  I know others that it did not stop after they were done treatment.  I've been pondering on this for awhile and I'm starting to think that tinnitus should be watched for and noted as a possible side effect of treatment when it comes to anemia.  I'd like to know how pervasive it is, just to get a decent stat on it, for those people I know who's docs have told them this is not treatment related.

walrus...I worked for a non-profit for 7 years that serviced hard of hearing and deaf persons.  Tinnitus was something we dealt with and it was non-reversible.  HOWEVER.  A number of the conditions we experience on treatment seem to reverse when the drugs stop.  As in nygirl's situation, I hope the same for you.  What I'm thinking is that it's yet another reason to keep hgb up in reasonable numbers.  That's what I'm thinking, anyway.

Trish
That makes sense. The ringing in my ears (maybe not really tinnitus?) has been almost constant since I started TX. My hemo has stayed above 10.  I am hoping that cessation of TX will be the end of anemia, and also the ringing. If not, I am pretty sure I could live with it. I do not notice it much when I am busy.  Anyway, it'll be nice at Christmas time, no? ;)

Brent