Hepatitis C Community
Tiny, Red, Pin-Head Sized Dots on Skin

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Tiny, Red, Pin-Head Sized Dots on Skin

Has anyone heard that tiny, red, pin-head sized dots on your skin is a sign of a ailing liver?  I have five of these dots on my stomach and one on my arm.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Verdugo
this is so funny, cause I've had these for years, they are kind of cute really, or so I think in my deluded head! I've looked them up and had them looked at, and it seems that they are benign for the most part (depends on the kind your talking about, I figure youre talking about the kind I have, where they are very pin-point small, pink, and a bit raised, not inside the skin that's something else and could be more serious)

I lovingly call the strawberry moles...their etiology can be up in the air, I've heard they can come from liver problems, or many not, depends on the individual, I have docs tell me not to worry about them...including a dermatologist, so there you go, maybe some other members will have more to add, I'd be interested...
I mean a dark pink, like strawberry color...
Try this page- It
Mine seem to be a little more raised from the skin then that, and maybe rounder? it's hard to tell from that picture...though my platelets, etc and labs are all fine...geez, maybe should go get em checked out again. thanks for the link...
Ahhhhh, yes.

the tiny, red, pin-head sized dots on your skin mystery.

you're lucky you've only got 5!  For the first four months of tx i had hundreds all over my back and chest.  

They're mostly gone now or maybe i just think they are coz i've gotten out of the habit of looking in mirrors.

i hope yours don't itch too much.

wyntre
at all...I wonder if some other people out there have the one's i'm describing..yes, they are mysterious...I remember there was a thread and questions on this, but of course I don't remember what was said...
Yes, just looked at the pix on the link and I would say that's what I'm talking about.  I glanced at the "Associated Conditions" and started panicing I might have Denghe Fever.   There's nothing about the liver though...

V.
Mine don't itch and they're a tiny bit raised.  Sound like yours.  I haven't done Tx yet either.  I think I've had them for years, they come and go.
V.
Hi, I just got off the line with Ina, a member here, she's an RN and pretty knowlegable about many things, she's always studying...anyway, she told me they are more from old age (the one's I have) and they are pretty much benign, I'll get more and more as I get older (great)...I remember my doc said something similar....if they are more beneath the skin and not as round (and it looks like that, the pic Bill produced from wikipidia, then it's something else)...course, none of us are docs...but I now do remember my doc telling me something similar to what Ina just said...course, ask your doc about them, I plan to again...
Yes, it is a sign of liver problems.
Back in year 2000, which at the time didn't phase me , but During a routine work physical I had a doctor make a comment of all the red dots on my chest.  I thought they happened from my kittens scratching and causing broken blood vessels.  His question to me was do you drink alcohol alot.  ?????
He preceded to tell me that they were liver spots and I thought this Dr. is nuts I don't even drink.  Back then I had a glass of wine maybe once a month.

It all makes sense now.  Now that I've been in treatment for 16 wks.  Guess what?
They're all gone.  My heptatologisit has confirmed what has happened.  I do still however have a few remaining on my thighs.

CRAZY ,BUT TRUE
Missy
wow, interesting! though I do admit, my parents have them too (maybe a genetic propensity?) and they don't have liver probs, except old livers, lol...would be interesting if when I clear this up (being positive) these things will go away, thanks for the input!
I read this in a book called "The Body Ecology Diet".  It's all about the importance of food combining.  Anyway, it's pretty out there, (and I love "out there") but it's a little more out there than me.  But the tiny, red dots are named as one of the symptoms of a "congested liver".  I love reading whacky diet books!  Oh well, that's where I got that info.
V.
i haven't done any tx yet.....my spots were dark and much bigger a year ago..(maybe an eight inch or bigger ).then they turned red and now much smaller.(like the top of a pin)..they are always located right over and around my liver on the outside of my skin..i also had rough spots on the roof of my mouth.(now they went away).. maybe my diet is rebuilding my liver....my first biopsy report is tomorrow..so we will see whats up...good luck...billy
yeah, sounds reasonable huh? anyway, I'm posting too much today, so this will be my last for awhile, just wanted to mention if you had read that Dr. Oz book, his nutrition and diet books? I think you might like him...I spoke about them in another thread...
Glad to hear you're doing well.  72 weeks is a long time, but if you're not having bad sides then that makes a bit easier, I'm sure.  

I'll definitely stick around regardless if I treat now or later.  I find the more I think about HCV, the more I think about HCV!  Its ironic because I was diagnosed in 1995 and really didn't think about it until I got an elevated LFT result six months ago.  

Be Well,
Verdugo.
Thanks, Bill.  You're right.  I think I got distracted by the list of "Associated Conditions", convinced I had Ebola AND HCV.

V.
Man, what a nasty co-infection that would be, huh? This cr@p gives me a headache all by it
I actually called my hepatologist today to schedule a biopsy.  I'm a 2.   He initially told me that I don't need a biopsy because my genotype has a high rate of success.  (Basically, what he's saying is that the condition of my liver should not be the reason NOT to do Tx. If that makes sense).  I think this is a standard protocol he's following regarding 2s.  He also said that biopsies can be inconclusive depending if they stick you in the wrong place (or right place, depending on how you look at it).  That was last month.  I want to wait on Tx if I can.  So now, I'm thinking I have got know what going on with my liver.  I did have an ultrasound and that was all good but I know it's not nearly as informative as to the liver's true condtion.

I'm sort of new to this forum.  How are you doing, Bill?

Verdugo.
Biopsy sounds like a good plan, especially if your considering waiting to treat. Welcome to the discussion group, by the way. It
Take a look at that page in Wiki again.

You aren't currently on treatment?

No, I'm not treating right now.  But thanks for asking.  I've only been on this forum for a short while and have seen your name all over the place.  It's great to see that kind of dedication.

Verdugo.
yeah i have  a few of those too.

they have nothing to do with the liver; however, SPIDER ANGIOMATA are a different story altogether.  they are caused by liver disease.  Spider angiomata are larger and look like tiny red spiders with legs radiating out.  they are composed of arteries that spread out over the skin due to diverted bloodflow/portal hypertension.
I have hundreds of red pinpoint dots all over my arms, and some on my abdomen, chest and upper thighs as well. Some have been there for a long time (years) and others are newer (those on my abdomen and some on my arms). They are not raised, dont blanch when i press on them, are tiny and basically look like someone has come along and pricked me with pin hundreds of times and then buggered off.

I have no idea what they are, and as long as they are not connected to the headaches, dizzy spells and fatigue ive been getting for the last one and half years and the upper abdominal pain ive been getting for the last 7 months, they dont bother me. I did have routine blood tests for the fatigue/headaches when they first started and everything was normal except for a mildly elevated white cell count which the dr said was due to a 'possible viral infection'. As the symptoms didnt go away the dr then said it was anxiety as i have suffered from anxiety and depression in the past. They never retested my blood so i assume my white cell count has returned to normal.

I never mention the pin point red marks on my skin though, as they didnt register as relevant at the time and i doubt they are.  

They are so small though, that a person wouldnt notice them unless i point them out in the first place. I assume they are absolutely tiny cherry angiomas. Except for one patch on my arm which came up after i scratched a little too hard (i think i burst a blood vessel under the skin) and never faded away completely leaving a little cluster of purple/red pinpoint dots on my skin where the bleeding had occured. Anyway, i have hundreds of the things.

I have the exact, and I mean exact, same symptom set. It's concerning because it seems a bit too coincidental to me. Have you heard anything about this since you posted?
It sounds like what I have had for many years prior to diagnosis of Hep.  My primary (who first diagnosed me after a routine physical) had previously told me they were nothing to worry about (probably age-related).  I forget what he called them.  They never itch and seem to come and go.  I notice them, but don't track them at all anymore.  I still have them and I am in week 32 of Tx and have been UND since at least week 12 and my LFT's have been well within normal range since the first few weeks after starting Tx.  I'm sure my trial doc has seen them and has not commented at all, so I'm going to continue not worrying about them.  So much to worry about and so little time.  :)
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1134161-overview

also google:  mixed cryoglobulins
i have had little pin sized red dots some slighlty raised since i was teenager i have noticed more the older i get on arms stomache and legs quite a few but so small hard to see unless looking for them. i had platelets checked and it came back fine mine dont itch or bother me in any way other than they are there. im in early 30s  ive googled and read so many things and still have no idea what it could be so if you find anything out i would love to get some insight i will do the  same               good luck from shyaria
My MD told me it was from the telapravir but then why do some have it who are not on it?
tish