Hepatitis C Community
Tired of being tired all the time!

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Tired of being tired all the time!

I'm having extreme fatigue making it difficult to work or get anything done at home. My energy level is very low after the slightest exertion. A short nap will revive me for a while but some days that means that I end up sleeping about as much as I'm awake. It reminds me of the time I was on the treatment (2003). I believe this is associated with the high ammonia levels I've been experiencing and the laxatives I'm taking to relieve the condition. I am now taking Miralax, Kristalose (a power form of lactulose- I couldn't stand the syrupy stuff), and if these don't produce the needed results then I add a dose of Magnesium Citrate. I find myself battling with depression wondering if there is an end to this fatigue, how will I be able to continue working or being able to do anything. Doctors say I'm still a couple of years away from a transplant - MELD is 11. Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this complication of cirrhosis and tell me if this will be an ongoing problem or something I will get over while waiting for the next body disfunction.
Unfortunately fatigue comes hand in hand with advanced cirrhosis. There is no med to manage it. It is a sign of impaired functioning of the liver. What does help is to get all of your other symptoms under control using the meds then excessive enough to stay healthy as you can. But don't over do it. You only have so much energy in reserve so you should focus on the things you have to do. The things that you want to do but aren't required you should let some of it slide.

MELD of 11. (Remember that MELD doesn't necessarily correlate to how ill you feel) I would recommend you watch to see how quickly your MELD rises over a one year period. It will give you a rough idea how long you'll have to wait for a transplant. It won't be consistent but still give you a rough idea. My MELD is 18 last time I checked. In the last year it went from 12 to 15 to 18. Here is SF to get a transplant with type O blood you have to be 38-39. Close to death. At that point you are hospitalized and they keep you alive long enough to get a liver. Hopefully. I've had a few friends who were 42 and 45 when the scale only goes to 40. Very scary. So if you look at it that way we are lucky be be as healthy as we are.
FYI: Social Security Disability needs a MELD of 22 to qualify as disabled. But if you have continuing ascites and HE you also qualify by having either.
Good thing is Alabama has less people waiting so you will get a transplant way before anything like MELD 40.
I never tried Miralax but rifaximin really works for me and prevent future HE episodes. Not totally but maybe 90% is under control.

I sent you private notes about this.
Good luck. Keep in touch.
hectorsf

I sent you private notes about this.
Good luck. Keep in touch.
hectorsf
Dear friend,

I have hepatitis C, stage 4, cirrhosis, MELD is 7. There are two stages in stage 4.  Stage 1 and 2.  I  have Stage 1 of Stage 4.  I am extremely exhausted.  I have a part-time job in the morning 4 days a week.  I can't work any longer than this.  Usually around 2 p.m. I can't do anymore and can't concentrate very well.  I don't even have a high ammonia level.  My doctor said the amount of inflammation makes one tired. I already did a treatment awhile back and I can't do any more treatment.
Lots of good info from Hector above.  I just wanted to say that I wish you well.  My husband too has cirrhosis, and I've seen the depression that goes along with that diagnosis.  Have you spoken with your doctors about possible anti-depressants? They seem to have helped my husband a great deal, and I wonder if they might be an option for you as well to help improve your state of mind.

Fatigue is certainly cirrhosis' calling card.  It's important that you get adequate protein on a daily basis, and essential that it be NON-meat.  One of the challenges of cirrhosis is to maintain adequate muscle and weight, and coupled with poor appetite, it's important that you get the necessary protein to help you minimize fatigue.  Best of luck.
~eureka
I'm not yet cirrhotic, however, fatigue is a constant battle for me.  I've recently started a 'cleaning business'.  Not really a huge amount yet, but I've been working at my sister's for pay about 3-4 days a week and now, I've got 2-3 more paid customers for housecleaning.  Throw in the normal working out that I have to do for health, keeping my own place clean, my volunteer work and trips to see my family living 3-6 hrs away and I'm constantly feeling like I'm running and not really getting anywhere.  It's very frustrating.  As far as the Miralax goes, I've been taking that cr*p for years, ha-ha, no pun intended.  Seriously, though, I've had to be on it since way on back to when it was a prescription.  It is cheaper though, if you by it generic brand.  I think, also, that some of my fatigue is related to not being able to get enough sleep in quality sleep, or enough quantity of sleep.  Take care, Susan400