Hepatitis C Community
To tell or not to tell

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

To tell or not to tell

I am in my early 20s newly diagnosed, got this virus from being reckless for a very short period of time in my life.. had it less than a year.. i am currently debating telling my parents, they are great parents but i really do not know how they would react or if i should just keep it silent, any advice?  I am scared they will shut me out if i tell them..
     I feel that they are your family and will love and accept you no mater what. And you will need their love and support.  Just my opinion. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Blondie717
I think you're going to need them.  :)
If and when you treat you may want to tell them. I would be very selective on who you tell. Most people are UN-educated about this disease and may treat you like you have the plague. One thing is for sure if you elect to tell people you will find out soon enough who your true friends are, others will run for the hills.
I've really experienced the opposite, copyman.  

I have told my employer, my mom, husband, daughter, brothers, sister-in-law...  Some close friends...  Everyone has been really supportive and I haven't been shunned.

Yet. ;)

I'll let you know if I have any friends left after treatment.  Haha...
Hopefully it would be the reckless behaviour that your family would disapprove of - not you.  I also told my employer, colleagues, family and friends.  If you refuse the stigma and face it you could be surprised by the response.  Many people have also had B or A so it's not as terrible as you may think.  If everyone got routinely tested perhaps they would be less judgmental.  It would be sad if you couldn't tell family when you need them most.
We have been through this many times on the forum and most replies was that they didn't tell many people or wish they hadn't.
I would tell my family but be very careful who else you tell.You  cant take it back and there is alot of bad stigma attatched to this disease.People are uneducated about hep c .Especially dont tell co-workers -its really not their business and people WILL gossip!!! cindy
I told mine and they support me all the way  and the rest of my family but that is my opinion.
good luck stay health.
Michele
i still vote to be very careful who u tell. i would never tell an employer or friend unless i had great trust. as for parents this is a difficult dilemma; my parents could never cope with the idea that i tried injectable drugs even just a few times so i never told the truth. if your parents cannot cope with this u might "fudge" your answer. u could suggest that a former girlfriend used your razor and u later found out she had hcv. u could say u cant imagine how. let them guess and wonder. dentists and work place injuries in some businesses can be a possible cause. i expect parents would know if u had a transfusion... anyway if u decide to be treated u will probably want to tell that u have the disease. the why part is really not all that important. maybe this is years away for u so no need alarm them now? good luck to u, take it slowly. babs
Perhaps a disapproving mother could be cautioned to get tested herself.  Because there are ways to be infected other than IV drug use.  "I have no idea, mom.  Maybe YOU have it and gave it to me!"  
I am unsure if I got it from my mother at childbirth. Doesn't matter.  Tell your parents. You will DEFINITELY need them. You may not see it now, but trust us; you WILL.
Honesty is the best policy. It is very hard to determine exactly how one gets hcv unless rgey can pinpoint a transfusion or medical procedure and current cbc's.  I find that when I discuss with anyone other than my immediate family, I lead in with I have been diagnosed with liver disease ( or advanced luver disease in my case). Then I say in the same breathe hep c. Some how that seems to soften the blow and ease the stigma. When I discuss tx I refer to it as a chemo like therapy. Most respobses have been positive.
Yes there are soooo many uneducated and ignorant people and that's a shame. It's up to us to afvocate for ourselves and each other that this is not the infectious disease mist believe it is to be.
Have not guilt, the past  is done. Take really good care of your diet, stress and wTer intake an you will be fine. We are here for you. :)
I told my family, and best friend, will not tell anyone else. I live in a small community and I know how the grapevine works around here. If I start to look like crap which I am already just from the stress, going to do like lifenet62 and say I am doing chemo but wont say for what.. sigh I hate that there is such a stigma attached to the disease. Not fair but that is how it is...
Your family will be there for you they may give you a lecture about how you got the virus and you may need to educate them a bit about how it's transmitted and the treatment but you will need all the support you can get. I have not kept this from anyone but at first I was ashamed since I had gotten the virus from drug use and even though I was clean almost a year when I found out I was still ashamed. My fiance told my parents and instead of hearing I told you so I heard words of encouragement and love and I needed that. I started treatment on August 5th and my dad and step mom call me every day to see how I'm feeling and if I need anything. They may not have all the answers but just knowing you aren't alone is nice!
I am so glad you brought up this topic because it is something that causes us the most fear guilt and shame. We need to have none of these and be proud that a) we know b) we are aware andcan educate and advocate and c) we are proactive and have chosen to treat and face reality.
To screaming 48, I am glad my suggestions are in tune for you. To clarify, I do not state I am doing chemo.....then I'd be untruthful. I state I am going to be undergoing chemo-like treatment.  Big difference and then do not have to deal with the misunderstanding assumptions of cancer from others..... Just a thought....:)