Hepatitis C Community
Tongue sores and sense of smell gone

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Tongue sores and sense of smell gone

I completed the twelve weeks of Incivek and am still on interferon... Have six weeks left. The past few days, I've noticed that it feels like I've scorched my tongue and I can barely smell anything... Also, I'm having much difficulty comprehending simple discussions and am so irritable that I cannot even stand myself.
Any suggestions?
What your going through are pretty common side effects, as for the tongue ask your doctor for a RX for magic mouthwash...Not much one can do over the not smelling issue, but that will return. As for the comprehending simple discussions that's also normal the deeper we get into treatment, we call it brain fog. Also being irritable is pretty much common, they call that Riba rage but more then anything it is due to interferon... Just learn to count to 10 and think before you speak, I know that's easier said then done. Just keep telling yourself only a few more weeks and then this nightmare will be over......... Hang in there, wishing you the best..
Thank you so much for your input! I didn't even realize how incredibly irritable I am until I've had several friends tell me and then I got into a confrontation with a cashier... Ugh, I can't wait to get done!
Hey there, Can-do is right, it is normal, the magic mouthwash really helped me when I was going through the problems with my mouth.

I had just the opposite problem with smell. My sense of smell increased so much every thing had a smell. I was throwing things away.  The sense of smell does normalize.

I remember Bo had the same thing, I think she tore up a carpet in attempts to get rid of the smell :)
Hang in there, this is a light at the end of the tunnel :)
My sense of smell and taste were not working right and my mouth was dry and sometimes developed sores. I hated talking on the phone and didn't want to talk to anyone in person unless it was my nurse practitioner or doctor. I also had the brain fog and it took too much effort to listen to what someone was saying, process it, and give an appropriate response. It got better for me during the last 6 weeks of treatment and I didn't hate everybody anymore. I hope you improve during the home stretch too.
hiya first congrats on getting through the incivek hubby he got the riba rage it was llike walking on egg shells but i learnt to ignore it and not take umbrage i just gave him space you nearly done so hang in there bite your tongue count to ten then smile! best wishes to you and good luck with rest of tx
Congrats on making it this far! That was the first symptom that I noticed was gone. I carried my miracle mouthwash in my purse and used it several times a day for that last few months of tx. It does help w/ the pain and you will have periods when your mouth is free of sores also!
Have you tried sensitive or all natural toothpaste and a child's toothbrush? It helped me.
xo Karen:)
   I just noticed this post, when I read your new post.  I am still noticing that I have a hard time with my comprehension, but now it is only during telephone convos. I have made arrangments to meet friends and family,and shown up at the wrong time or place,and I'm 11 months post Tx!  
   Interferon effects our neurotransmitters, and probably mine have been taxed already, via my age, life-style etc.