Hepatitis C Community
Tooth loss

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Tooth loss

I've been treated twice for chronic Hepatitis C.  Since the onset of the first treatment, (February, 2004), I have been losing my teeth.  They simply "break" apart and fall out of my mouth.  There's no pain involved but, I now have only 1 1/2 teeth remaining in my mouth.  None of my "Doctors" offer me any advice, help, direction.  What is happening to me??????  (It's not just tooth loss either.  Every body system is being affected).  And my last doses of Interferon and Ribaviren were over 3 years ago.
Unfortunately it seems the tx is Hell on teeth and gums and many of us have big problems and dental bills afterward.  Some say it's the decrease in saliva while treating that allows bacteria to grow.  And of course there's always the chance you're just too wiped out to brush your teeth before bed because you can't make it out of bed.  

After tx, I had several crowns break then started getting painful gum infections for the first time in my life.  Then I was dx'ed with internal resorption where the body attacks the root of a perfectly good tooth and causes infection.  (Sounds suspiciously like an auto immune issue.) The endo wanted to pull the tooth (it's in the front bottom for the love of Pete!) and replace with implant.  All very well and fine if you can bear to part with beloved tooth and dish out $4000.  

Luckily I found an "alternative" dentist website that offers options to radical and invasive endodontic procedures.  My conditions have improved since using some of these methods:   http://www.drpaulhkeyes.com/index.html

Hope this helps.  I feel your pain.
Look in your area for a university dental school. They offer great deals on caps and other work. They are supervised by professional dentist professors. I had a gold crown installed on my right bottom tooth and the whole procedure cost me $375, as opposed to $1100 my regular dentist wanted... You do the math...

Magnum
Thanks to both of you for your input.  I saw my GI earlier in the week and had an ultra sound of my liver yesterday.  As it turns out, the GI never requested my records from the doc who handled my first treatment.  He didn't even know I had a biopsy done in 2004!  And he continues to tell me that he's not aware of any Dental problems due to combo treatment.  His answer was to see my primary care doc.....WTF.  At least I now have some options to pursue, thanks to you.  I really appreciate your help!!!!

Jeff
i don`t think it is just dry mouth that results in breaking down of the bacterial defense
system of your oral flora. i read posts from people who took extreme good care
with many dental cleanings ect... and it did not appear to help that much.
sure i get dry mouth from the meds but there are many ways to deal with that
like Biotene , oral probiotics , lots of rinsing , chewing gum ect.....
I am on wk19 and I believe it is the Meds that somehow are  weakening  the gum
tissue and it starts receding not only bacteria.
Of course my Hep never heard of it  which I find hard to believe after reading
how many people have dental probs during and after tx.
I must say that through four treatment attempts I never had any dental problems and they are all still mine and strong. Maybe it's an infection that you or your doctor are not aware of. My mom had such an infection when she was about 58 and had to have ALL her upper teeth removed in one visit. Just a thought...

Magnum