Hepatitis C Community
Transmission of Hep C Through Sex

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Transmission of Hep C Through Sex

I thinking about dating a man that has Hep C.  From what I've read, when it comes to transmission via sex it's through blood, maybe through pretty rough anal or something.  

I'm more concerned about transmission cause I have herpes.  I've had herpes for 16 years and know when I'm having an outbreak, which happens about once a year and only one sore.  

My question - does having herpes increase the risk of me contracting Hep C if we got to the point of having monogamous, unprtotected sex?

Thank you for your answers.
hang in there you will be getting a lot of responses on your question!
from what i have read in this group is the chances of getting hcv form the female is highly but not dfinitely a given  it is more likely that the male can give it to the female easier.  but remember that this is a blood born disease so if the herpes is acting up the possibility of giving it to the male might increase depending on how serious the herpes is acting up.

unprotected sex is as you know going to be a decision for you both to make..  for me i would just play it safe and use a condom and gel as well.

whatever you decide, stay safe and have fun it is not the end all of all  lol.
herpes is far easier to transmit then hep c.

i have had hep c for over 20 yrs and have NEVER given it to anyone - this is a female to male and we have sex even on my period at times - my dr. said that we would need to penetrate needles into one another to transmit - drug use etc.  i cought hep c by being a phlebotomist, working in medical labs back in the 90's - really sucked to catch it while trying to help people!!

anyways,
i think he is more at risk catching herpes
as kcrandy said above, it is blood borne so his semen should not carry the virus

if you have anal, have protected sex - tissue / capillary tissue cells tear and blood is released...take precaution here.

if anything, take medicine for your herpes....
I was worried about my husband contracting Hep but after 2 years he is fine. I read somewhere that there is a very low percent of sexually contracting the virus. I would suggest protection until this is determined to be a long term relationship.
Personally, I have not beeen an angel in my life, and have recently gotten saved...gave my life to Jesus.  How about waiting till your married?  Doesnt anyone do this anymore?  If you are unsure if something is right, maybe its not....
I wish all of you well....
It has been three weeks, since the doctor told me that I had Hep C and he is still insisting that I had to have sex with a drug user.  II keep telling him that I haven't.  My aunt set down and had a long talk with me and I found out that she too has hep C for a very long time.  She she said she got it from eating some bad seafood.  She said after she ate it, she started feeling bad the next day two days later her skin started to change and by the end of the week.  She became ill, she thought he was just food posining,  Finally after a week that she went to the hospital she said they said she almost died from hep C.   I was happy about that, then we discussed the different ways that I might have contracted.  I too my surprised when I told her that I ate a restaurant and ate some seafood and a few days later I was so sick, that I have took off of work, because I felt so bad,  I thought I had food posining.  Could this be possible.  I also get my nails and toes done from a shop where it is possible the nails files were not clean good enough.  Because once the peson did cut into my skin, but I never thought about catching any thing from it.  It is so many ways that we don't think of how can we catch it.  I was told by the doctor that hep c that blood can live a lot longer on the outside so if someone was bleeding and you touch it not knowing it was on a banister, glass, plate or shoes or clothing  and you tough your mouth, lips  and nose you may have a great exposure to this.   I have been a wrecked.  I started on my first shot last friday and I was so sick due to stress. that I had to put in the hospital for two days due to GERD.   I feel a lot better now, but I am trying to maintain my self so that I too may find out ways to protect myself and my mate.  I am always open to suggestions from anyone.  I love my life and I want to try to hold on until god says its that time for me.      I have told that I now have acid reflux- GERD, herpes, hep C, Depression and anxiety and I have one bad foot in which I already had two major operations.  I am still trying to hold on.  I am only 49 and I want to watch my grandchildren grow up.    
There is no way you could have caught hep C from eating seafood or any other food for that matter.
Could have been the nail clippers etc as there is a small risk of this as transmission.
You can only catch hep c from objects etc if you are bleeding also. (blood to blood).
Maybe your grandma meant hepatitis A?
Transmission of Hep C requires that the  blood from an infected person directly enter the blood stream of a non infected person, even if the amount of tranmitted blood is extremely minute.

For "regular" sex where the man is the carrier, the risk is very low as there is no blood involved. I unknowingly carried Hep C for over 30 years without infecting my wife or children. If the woman is the carrier and there is menstrual blood, naturally there is a lot more risk . I would never ask my wife to come into contact with my blood for any reason.

If someone has an open sore, or a sore that may become open, even if it is minute, there is also a lot more risk of transmission.  The use of a condom is a very good idea here.

Hippygem is correct about the transmission from food. Meme's aunt probably has Hep A, which is transmitted much more easily.