Hepatitis C Community
Treatment Failure

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Treatment Failure

Do you know of any other treatment as I have relapsed twice.  I went through 6 months of treatment of interferon & ribaviran (my genotype is 3a) and 1 year of treatment of pegintron & ribaviran?  On my last treatment at my three month check up it showed that the virus was back.  My cancer of the liver marker was lower.
Avatar n tn
I could only tolerate 7 weeks of therapy and I am going to take a trial drug that is non-interferon. I cannot remember the name as I have problems with my memory but I think it is letters of the alphabet. I am glad your liver CA marker is ok. Right now I am sitting here all swollen up like a big toad frog. I will try and remember to call and ask the name. Prayers.
Avatar n tn
Thank You for the information.  If you can remember the name please let me know.  Hope that you feel better.
It may be Viramidine or levovirin. Both drugas are mentioned in the article I posted below under "New stories".
Sorry that thread was "News Stories and other posts".
Avatar n tn
Something else seems wrong with you. As a type 3 you should have responded to the interferon. Are you overweight?....or do you have high Iron (ferritin) levels?
Sounds like you need to get into a trial for the non-interferon type meds now. Here is a link to several sites that list most of the current trials.........
http://www.hepatitisresources-calif.org/clinical/search_sites.htm

I hope that this helps you.
Let us know how you make out...............
Avatar n tn
My hubby is 3a and did 24/24 of peg/reba and it returned @ 6 mo post tx, he is now doing 15/48 Friday of the same stuff. He does the usual dose of peg but is doing 1400 of the riba (same as before)Doc thought maybe that the high iron during last tx might have contributed to the relapse, he was cleared at 8 weeks this round, clear @ 12 weeks last time...that is when the 2 different docs did the test......his alt/ast are still elevated
Avatar n tn
I went to Medscape and have been there and registered with no memory. Gawd! Anyway, those names don't sound famaliar. It starts with an I or T. Everything I read indicates it is the riba I reacted to but you can't take Peg without the other. I don't mean to sound dumb but I did not give interferon. It is chemo and only chemo certified nurses can give it. I cannot recall taking care of anybody reacting to riba. Hep C patients as a rule were very sick. It is always medicall managed. My patient load was so heavy I never really had the time to sit and read about anything and after I got home I was too tired. I cannot remember being told about these side effects and then my care fell through the cracks. When I find out the name I will post.
Avatar n tn
I have used Acupuncture with great results, there is a book out Healing Hepatitis C with Modern Chinese Medicine
By Qingcai Zang, MD. You can feal better with out the toxic meds.

Good luck and I hope you feal better soon

I do acupuncture, too, and it does make me feel better. I am of the belief that herbs, acupuncture, etc. can help, but don't kill the virus. Hence, Pegasys/CoPegus.
Dee1956 commented on Belle313's status
Dee1956 commented on MH Community Mgr's status
10356 commented on 10356's status
Track your weight over time