Hepatitis C Community
Treatment and cocaine

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Treatment and cocaine

Dear Doctor,

I am 2 and a half months on pegylated interferon and ribavarin treatment for chronic HCV(acquired about 6-7 years ago, medically in a 3rd world country). I am 26 years old and in good general health. Recently I was at a party and I snorted some cocaine. I know it was a mistake... now Im just thinking about what extent this influences the outcome of my treatment? What negative effect does it have on the treatment and my liver? The amount was not a lot and it only happened once and of course i didnt share a straw.  Thank you for your time.
Hi Jay-

I
"The amount was not a lot and it only happened once and of course i didnt share a straw."

Just move on and like you've already figured out and KNOW, don't imbibe again... just my opinion but I ain't no dr so can't answer how a one time situation can affect tx... run it pass your dr be well...
At least if you caught a different genotype of hcv from sharing a straw with someone, you would have to change drugs...always the optimist..;^)
I have Kaiser now. Does that count?
You are defintely one in a million. I got a big kick from that one.

Feel Well
Bonnie
IF this post is for real and not just somebody playing a joke....

I would say to try to stay away from coke anytime w/having the Hep, not just while you're on treatment.  I'm NOT saying this from a judgmental point of view, I used to be a cocaine addict back in 1983, which was how I ended up contracting the Hep in the 1st place.  I'm saying this because of the strain to your heart is not worth the 5 min. high that it brings.  There are more things in life you can do, which are a lot more healthy and useful and still are fun, than doing drugs.  This is from someone who has been there and has found a better way in life.

Susan
Cocaine and treatment?  There you go. You want to live don't you. Shrug.
Goofy- why, Kaiser sounds like a definite upgrade to my current policy with BCBS of Kabul :o).

BonnieRobin- I
I really don't know what to say.  I'm amazed you even had the energy to be out and about partying.
I forget how long you've been on treatment ,but maybe you should keep yourself away from enviorments  that tempt you to do things you know will only harm you physically and emotionally.  I can tell you feel bad.  Leave the room or just go home.  It's hard to change our lifestyles sometimes but we have to find other
things in life that bring us pleasure.
Missy
Well, let's just say the sheriff tossed me out of town again.  Heh.  This last time I stayed away because well, I don't really know.  

I'm doing fine. Taking a concoction of things to help the liver and waiting, waiting, waiting.  You know how that is?

How's things with you?

Tell the sheriff to stay away until I do this line of coke, OK? Snnnnnggkk. There, that
2000 mikes and 2000 riba?  Wow.  You're a trendsetter Bill.  I used to squeeze every drop of peg out too.  Why not?  It's a fun drug.  

Hope -- pray -- you make it.  This damn disease gets in the way of things.  It's a pesky little virus.

Thanks for the well wishes and the same to you.  If the authorities don't boot me perhaps I will hang around for a time.  I feel like the glue that held Med Help together, lol ... or something.

Adios.

Scott