Hepatitis C Community
Treatment for Genotype 1b

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Treatment for Genotype 1b

I'm so grateful to of found this website, until now I swear I thought I was the only one who had 1b. Almost a yr ago my liver Dr. told me that you have 1b and there is no sense in getting treatment because it is the least receptive. After hearing that I asked him what I should do, he told me to keep an eye on the new research, (via internet) and maybe they will have come up w/new medications or whatever. I have done nothing with my hep, I don't know what to do about it. I know that I'm sick all the time, all I want to do is sleep, I wake up in the morning vomitting or feeling like I want to vomit, I inch all over, and sometimes I feel like I have a low grade tempature, where my bones hurt and ache. Dang, I sound like a big ole baby, but I just stating facts here. I'm scared more than anything, I have a job and it's gotten to the point to where my job is getting sick of me not being there and honestly, who can blame them. I have to work because I have nobody to help me and I also need the insurance. I guess what I'm asking is, what can I do to get more energy? What about treatment for this? What has other 1b's done for treatment? Any kind of advice I sure would appreciate. Thanks
Hi Renee,

Welcome to the discusson group!

A lot of us here are 1b's. Some are in treatment, some have already been treated successfully and others have decided to adopt a "watchful waiting" approach.

Perhaps if you could tell us a little more about yourself, we could better answer your questions. Put down what you can, and try and get hold of a copy of your blood tests for the rest.

Personal Profile: Age, weight, height, race, how long ago do you think you got infected? How long have you had the symptons you describe? Any other serious illnesses/conditions?

Treatment Profile: (1) amount of liver damage -- expressed as "stage" in biopsy report; THE FOLLOWING ARE BLOOD TESTS:(2) Viral load as measured by a PCR  test; (3) Liver Enzymes (ALT and AST); (4) Hemoglobin level; (5) INR; (6) Platelets (plat).

-- Jim

Get all the test as Jim suggested. If your symotoms are HCV related you may be at the point that you may have to consider tx. I finally couldn't ignore my symptoms anymore and that's when I found out I had HCV. I'm a 1a(just as hard to treat as 1b), at stage 3 with a fatty liver.
Protect your job and your benefits. If you plan to treat sit down with those that need to know and let them know you are going to be on chemotherapy for liver disease. Check out the FMLA. File any and all paperwork with your company that they deem necessary. I have seen and heard of alot of people losing their jobs, so cover yourself; once you establish yourself with a serious medical condition it becomes somewhat harder for them to get rid of you. Good Luck
welcome, and next...dump the guy(dr). seriously, you need a hepatologist that truly knows about HCV and this guy is not it.
check this site for possibilities
http://www.hepcprimer.com/patient/doctors.html

that said, you need a biopsy to determine what damage your liver has sustained, if any.  Then you can decide on the next course of action. If stage 2 or above you should give your body a chance to eliminate the virus by doing the treatment(tx). Many 1b's and 1a's have achieved an SVR or "cure".
Well Friday is the day I go for Biopsy!  ewwwwwww, I just hate this!  I know though that I am in good hands. Very thankful I have such a wonderful medical center here in Houston and St. Lukes hospital.  Suppose that ezes some of the anxiety.

Will I need to take the rest of Friday and Sat. off work?  How come they did not do a blood clotting test to see how I clot?

Just wondering.......

Fisheress

If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, your right!
YES BY ALL MEANS FIND A DOCTOR WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. I AM 1A AT STAGE 3 LIVER DAMAGE AND AM STARTING TREATMENT SEPT 12 AND AM OPTOMISTIC. THE TREATMENT HAS IMPROVED RAPIDLY OVER THE LAST 10 YEARS SO THERE IS EVERY REASON TO HOPE FOR RECOVERY. A BIOPSY PROBABLY WILL TELL YOU WHERE YOU ARE IN SEVERITY OF DAMAGE AND WHETHER YOU CAN AFFORD TO WAIT.

GOOD LUCK.
It will be okay.  Now I don't know why they did not do the blood clotting test.  That is the one test I had to have done.  THey said they could use my last blood work for a lot of things, but the clotting test needed to be done.

Do you know what kind of biopsy you are getting.  I think needle biopsy is the most common.  I believe you get a local anesthetic and something to relax you. After it is done, you will need to lay on your side for a couple of hours so they know you have clotted properly.  I had a laproscopic biopsy and was knocked totally out.  After I recovered in the hospital, I went home and slept the day.  It would be possible to to back to work with the needle biopsy, but I would not advise it unless you had no choice.  I went to work Monday and the doc really didn't want me to, but I was fine.

Really, Fish, you will be fine.
Kathy
welcome!  im 48yo fm, type 1, vl 1.5mil, biopsy show grade 2, stage 2.  my doctor is a gi and recommended treatment asap.  i'm now on week#20/48 and at my 12week testing - the virus showed undetectable!....i realize anything can happen, but i have great hope for future svr!  
you need a biopsy to decide on treatment and a new doctor if this one thinks you don't need to....i felt alot of same symptoms you have and most went away when i started treatment, although i've had quite a few side with treatment, i get to work everyday.
good luck,
<3 michelle
Could be worse-you could be 1a and 1b like me.
I am responding well to treatment.
I have known 1a/1b patients with cirrhosis clear the virus-so get fighting!!!!!!!!!!!!
State Law in Florida requires pre-op blood tests. They have to do clotting factors and full CBC's.
Also, the biopsy is nothing. They will give you some Versed, and you're gonna feel great!! If the drug was legal, all of America would be addicts.
I would not go back to work after procedure, as they will hold you a minimum of 4 hours after and watch for bleeding. That is also state law. But you will be a little bit sore, and want to just lay down. I was sore for a few days after, actually felt like I did a few hundred sit ups or something!!
Good luck on your results!!
I was a 1b.  I did the treatment, cleared at 12 weeks, still clear at the end of my treatment and still clear 3 months after treatment.  My viral load was low to begin with (600,000) and I was a Stage 2 or 3 (I forget now).  Here's the point:  If you want to treat, you should have a doctor that is willing to help you.  I am proof that 1b's have a fighting chance.  I will go for my 1 year blood work in December, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm cleared and I refuse to think differently.  Don't give up hope just because you are a 1b.  Find another doctor and do so ASAP so you can put your mind at ease and make the informed decisions that are right for you.  Good luck.
Wow, thanks so much for the imput from everybody, you can not imagain how grateful I am to have read some of the things that ya'll wrote. I had all the blood tests, biopsy, all that, and he never told me a thing about any stages or about my results other than telling me I was 1b and to not do tx.

Well I'm 43, I figure I've had it for about 19 to 20 yrs, I started feeling bad about 2 1/2 yrs ago and found out I had hep c 6 mos later. Damn, I feel like you people have given me hope today. I'm going to be a grandma for the first time in Dec, my son will be home from Irag in 20 days (yeah). I was going to just wait around for some other kind of tx, but not now. The person who said that they were on their 20th week or so and have been able to work, damn that could be me. Tomorrow I'm calling my Dr. and I'm going to get the results and I will let ya'll know where I stand. You know on one hand I feel like I'm on cloud nine, and then on the other, I'm pissed because of how my Dr. treated me and my illness.  Again, thank ya'll so much for everything said.
I'm just echoing what alot of others are saying but just because you have 1B doesn't mean it is not worth trying.  Genotype 1s clear every day.  You didn't mention the condition of your liver as people with little or no liver damage sometimes put off treatment hoping for something better to come along.  But not feeling well all the time may be reason enough to treat.  Doctors have different opinions on whether to treat or not and may are very pro treatment.  If you like you can got to http://www.hcvinprison.org/forum_new/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=2 and post a question for a doctor who treats many patients and is a true advocate for those of us who have this disease.  Make no mistakes about it.  Your genotype CAN be whooped.
Hi and welcome. I recently found this group as well and it has been really wonderful. It truly is a daily support group and great for info on so many aspects of this disease. These folks are awesome.

As several have pointed out here, you are not alone as many of us are type 1s. I am a type 1a and in my 32 week of tx.  Prognosis uncertain because I am responding but still detectable.  All of us (all types) go into this knowing that it might not work but believing that it is worth the try.  The stats are far more encouraging than ever before and unless there are medical reasons that you shouldn't try tx, I think any knowledgable doc should encourage you to try.

Please find another doc who can give you proper information. Your future may seem so uncertain right now but it is still your future and you need to be properly informed to make your choices about it.  

Hang in there. It is overwhelming but don't worry it will be okay. keep asking questions and learn as much as you can.
You sound energized.  Get all those labs and give us the numbers.  I don't wait for my doc to call.  I start calling the minute I know it has been sent from the lab.  I think I have made a pest out of myself but I don't care. The doctors do not understand the anxiety.  You know, my husband was tested for hep c about 2 months after I was diagnosed.  When the nurse called to tell him the results of his colesteral, etc, she didn't even mention the hep c.  I had to go to the office and pick up the results myself to find out.  THey just don't understand. (he was negative)

I am 1a and will take shot #7 Friday.  I am 57, I have 2 grandkids here that I adore, and my son has been home from the military for a year now (he was in for 7 years).  

The people on this forum are knowledgeable and more than willing to help.  These next couple of months will be tough for you, as you get the ball rolling for treatment.  We can help each other.
Kathy
You are not alone in being angry at a doc. It's appalling how little most family physicians/internists/primary care docs know about this disease and the need for treatment. I went years with symptoms that looking back were obviously related to my HEP C being treated by my primary doc who KNEW I had Hep C but who blamed by symptoms on everything but. I finally insisted on a referral to a heptoligist and it was the best move I've made in decades.

I'm one of those people who is actually feeling a little better on treatment (although I think it may be psychological--I'm just so damn glad to finally have a legitimate reason to be so tired and brain fogged  lol.) I'm continuing to work, and my doc keeps telling my that if I do respond I may feel better post treatment then I have in decades (and I'm 54!)

You owe it to yourself to see a doc who knows what (s)he is doing! Good Luck!
Hi, I can't remember my genotype and getting ahold of my doctor is next to impossible.  I do know he said it was one of the worst ones.  I just finished a year treament of the peg interferon and riboviran about two months ago (my 3rd go around).    However, my question is, having Hepatitis C does this affect your homosystein levels?  My cardiologist is saying they are way to high and wants to prescribe Metranx.  I've looked it up and I believe if I add B12, B6 and Folic Acid this might help, but I was just curious if the Hep C had anything to do with it.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone
try posting in the upper threads, more people read them. as for those levels, if the hcv does not influence them, I wonder if the anemia from tx does.
<p><a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5554/dscf0662small9do.jpg>Pegasys</a></p>
My husband has recently been diagnosed with Hep C, genotype 1b, contracted over 20 years ago.  He doesn't want to do a liver biopsy or do the conventional treatment, due to the risks involved.  We have heard of a very effective treatment called UBI.  Has anyone tried this?  If so, what were the results?  There are no side-effects and there is at least one person we know that it was very effective on.  I'm interested in comments and input.  Thanks.
hi all..
this is new to me .
my boyfriend has HepC , probably contracted 30 years ago.
has geno type 1 stage  4 cirrhosis. and grade 2 portal inflammation.
is treated with peginterferon 1X/wk. and ribavirin daily.
his alt / ast levels are within normal limits.
his pcr in july05 was 403 iu/ml.
his absolute eosinophils is 1558..way above normal range.
his liver biopsy shows no hepatocyte necrosis.

i am worried about him.
anyone else here have stage 4 cirrhosis ..undergoing treatment?
i know he was in interferon and had the viral load down to zero..but then relapsed after he stopped ..so they put him back on it again .

any input or feedback on others at this stage of disease would be appreciated.
thanks!
and love to all here.
DarCar
Hello there! welcome. you might want to post in the upper threads, since hardly anyone "feeds on the bottom".  There are a few stage 4 that have treated and cleared and some that are presently treating.  It is important to stay on the meds long enough to get every last replicating virus.  Just because the test is negative it does not mean all of them are gone. If the tx ends too soon, the "hiding" ones come right back.
HI AND THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSE!
HE has already been treated with inter/ riba and then relapsed.
he is back on both interpeg. and riba again ..
so as you had said, they hide and then come back.
hope you are doing well !
thanks and love,
DarCar
I'm joining this group as support as I have recently been diagnosed w/Hep C and started treatment three months ago.  I'm hopeful as I read others commenting on going forward no matter what type they have. I also have the type which my Dr. deemed the most resistant to the current treatment.  I had very high enzyme count, 12 million and in stage 3.  I don't understand all of what I have been given to understand but I know I have just been told that my liver now looks "normal".  I look forward to FEELING normal now.  I was hoping someone might comment on the "reeling" that I feel getting up, laying down, turning over in bed, is this normal due to the meds?  It seems as though it is more than just "dizziness".
ive had back injury since 1990,causing chronic pain,now im into hep c problems ,biopsy to be done tomorow,my question is ,will the hep c prevent me from taking meds for chronic back pain,and what would be the safest meds i can take for my back pain
Hi everyone.  I'm not sure if anyone has the answer to this, but I'll give a shot.  I had surgery 3 years ago and contracted hep c, I know this because I was a blood donor and gave blood three months later.  I have since had the pegetron treatment.  I am genotype 1a.  I got back for my first yearly test since I completed treatment in two weeks.  They said the hep c was not showing up on the test last year but I'm so scared its back.  I've been getting really tired and sick lately.  Almost like I was before treatment.  I'm not sure if its anxiety or what.  Has anyone been this far and found out they have to do it again?

Tags
<p><a href=http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/hep_c/news/110602c.html</a></p>
qual;hep c should not interfere with pain mangement, Oxycontin is handled by the kidneys primarily, might be a good choice. I took vicoprofen and still do.
boulder; you might be dealing with anemia, watch your hgb carefully, and get copies of all bloodwork results.
you guys need to post in the top threads,,,try it,,, is not that scary up there...let's go!
Hello, i am a 29 year old female. I have had Hep C genotype 1b since i was 17 years old. 12 years later, i finally went to get my liver biopsy and i am grade 1, stage 0. My viral load is
52,460. I have no current symtoms (symptoms) and i have always felt in tip top shape. So far, my Hep C has had NO effect on my everyday life or health. I have made the choice to go through with the pegasus combination interferon/ribivarin treatment, just to see if i will take to it, before i decide to start having kids, etc. My biggest concerns really are the side effects. I was wondering if anyone could let me know how their experience has been with side effects. I know it is different for everyone, but a little info would ease my fears. I am starting treatment in March 2006. I go in two weeks to start all of my pre shot requirements (flu and Pneumonia shots, Hep A and B vaccinations, etc.)For example, do the side effects decrease as time goes by, or do they get worse? How is the work situation, does treatment effect your attendance at work? Can you really not do high physical activities, like skiing or snowboarding or mnt. biking? Am i going to be vomiting every morning? How was the bruising from the shots, and were they hard to administer yourself? Did anyone have any hair loss?
These are just some of the questions i keep pondering in my head. Obviously, no matter what the side effects are, i am still going to go through with treatment. I just feel that the more prepared i am for the side effects, the more relaxed and less stressed i think i will be.
Thanks in advance for any info; and it is amazing to see how many others are living normal lives before and after treatment.
I feel very positive because of how low my viral load is, we will see.
Shannon
lol! I just finished telling these guys to post up there and what do you do? you get the point!  
It is a tough decission for sure, to go ahead with tx.  Some drs recommend to do it early, there was an article early this yr that questioned the wait and see approach, perhaps a web search on wait and see in hep c might bring it in the results.
I am going to try and find as many threads that discuss the sides for you to read
if you go into "browse archives" and check these (for some reason I can't get the url to paste), it might help give you an idea: thread titles:
New diagnosis Type 1 please help
Quandry, to Tx or not to Tx
Life after SVR and other post's
in 2004 list
Post Treatment Effects
I encourage you to read the titles that might help get you the answer you want.
I did 72 wks of Pegasys/copeg, am 11 months post tx and SVR. Worked (desk job) the whole time, did a class or two at the Y each wk, did have sides, but most were not long staying and manageable, became anemic and got Procrit for it, also took vicoprofen for aches and stomach cramping. It can be done and to me, it is worthy.
I feel no long term/residual side effects from the tx.
Read the archives, there are some real good suggestions for people starting tx. Make sure they do not reduce your dosages, that they intervene with boosters before considering the reduction.
best to you
and post up there!
@HERE'S@

Looking @ you kid!
The original bottom feeders forum.....

Thanks for the vote of Confidence Sandy, But I am not sure I have the patients or the imagination to create as you do..

Chev...The rose is well "WOW".....

I hope you all are doing well..

^ ^
       ~@ @~
         *
        (-)

(

.^----^.
      (= o  O =)
       (___V__)
        _|==|_
   ___/' |--| |
  / ,._| |  | '
| \__ |__}-|__}
  \___)`

Bravo!!!!
no patience, huh?
that is  a WOW!
not bow wow.
Thanks but after I posted. the symbols got move, so you don't see the the way it should have looked.

Here is a link to a good cat...and More.

http://www.my-tgif.com/halloweencat.htm

<a href="http://www.my-tgif.com/halloweencat.htm">Happy Halloween</a>

<font size="6" color="#6600CC">Blessings to you ALL</font>

Jim,

I saw that you asked for some info from Renee to help her decide whether she should tx or not, and hoped you can help us out too...I know that the bx (husband is being scheduled for that and an ultrasound)is what will be the determinating factor, but this is what I have so far...appreciate any insight you can give...

He's 45 years old, 5' 10", 260 lbs. (too much) and genotype 1b, and I know what that entails.  PCR 9,920,000 - 7.00 Log.  Does the high viral load suggest the amount of liver damage?

I think the liver function tests (below) with the exception of the ALT are pretty good?

Protein 7.1, Albumin 4.2, Globulin 2.9, Albumin/Globulin Ratio 1.4, Bilirubin Total 0.4, Bilirubin Direct 0.1, Bilirubin
Hemoglobin 17.6, INR 1.0, Platelet Count 258.

Thanks,

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

These older threads at the bottom of the page are rarely seen, so it's best to post at the top of the page, or open a new thread.  

The decision to treat or not treat is very personal. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.  Jim has a very specific opinion about the matter, but there are others here that would offer completely different advice. It's best not to put too much stock into anyone's comments until you've done a lot of homework on your own.

For what it's worth, I'll tell you about my own decision. I'm a 46-year-old female who was diagnosed two years ago. I'm a genotype 1a, Stage 0-1, Grade 1-2. My VL is extremely low. It came back as a scant 714 IU/mL with my last PCR.  

I've decided to postpone treatment until better treatments come along.  However, if I was older, or if I had other health problems, or if I had symptoms that reduced my quality of life, or if I had Stage 2 fibrosis -- I wouldn't hesitate to start the current treatment protocol. You and your husband will have to weigh all those things, too.

To answer your question about VL....No, there's generally not a reliable correlation between VL and the degree of liver damage.  One poster on this board had a pre-treatment VL of 4,000, yet he had Stage 3 damage.  Others have VL's in the millions, and have little or no fibrosis.  It's a crazy disease.

If you decide to postpone treatment, I strongly suggest you research vitamins and herbal supplements that can help protect the liver from inflammation and its damaging effect.  Stay away from quack "cures" like Colloidal Silver and other things.  Check out the archives on this board for discussions about alternative treatments.  You'll learn a lot.

Best wishes to you and your hubby.  Please join us as the top of the page for more discussion.

Susan
I am newly diagnosed and am grateful to hear some of your optimism. I had read some posts on another site and the option of tx started sounding like a poor choice. One member commented that they wnted their life back and that they felt so much better before they underwent treatment. I was diagnosed in Nov and am not accepting it well at this point. I feel very depressed have decided to cut back to part time status which make no sense at all on any level except for taking care of my self. I meet with the doctor tomorrow for a follow up and am anxious to hear what his recommendations are, but I am petrified of the treatment. Thanks again for your optimism.
jabm
Hi jabm- welcome to the discussion group. You’ll want to go to the top of the page and click on the green ‘post question’ button to start a new thread. You’ve attached to an old one that was started in 2005. Lots of stuff has happened since then.

-Bill
If there are any 1A, or 1B s who have responded to treatment , I sure would like to hear from just one. I am 1b , treated in 05 , I would have been way ahead of the game if I would have not treated.. I did not reach 10 log drop in 12  weeks , but they continued treatment anyway. until week 46 i went to the texas liver center. and was taken off asap. the is a web sight ,that only Doctors can use. My husband happens to be one. It is clinical care options, Everymonth Hepatologists meet and share their, clinical trials, patients ect. They specifically stated ,1A , 1B do not look for them to even scatch the surface , of a cure for us , for at least 10 years. as well as the Dr. at U,,T. Texas liver center told me.They new in 2004 that peg/intron & ribovarin would not work. wewere a bunch of gineau
pigs. So this gentleman's Dr. is right on.Us nonresponders are going through brain cell damage, bone marrow loss, kidney problems, liver, spleen pancreas,ect. So someone who has been there, is there, extensive study, and very sick from side effects, if you are a 1A, 1B there is no treatment. no protease inhibitores ect. .Don't let them get ya!
Please refer to post to cuteus, from suzieq2. My advise is knowledge , take charge of your own healthcare. My mistake was fear instilled by Drs. who get kick backs by prescribing this treatment for us, It doesn't work. get several opinions, ask alot of questions, and charge of yourself. Remember, they work for you
I am so passion on this subject. . I would have been in alot better shape now ,if I would have done my research, and refused the treatment. I have so many side effects, and so sick everyday, I guess i would descibe it as lifeless. No enerygy, nausea,pain headaches , neuopothies, symptoms go on and on. When i started Iwas told, as so many of us that I had a 50/50 chance, I thought not great odds, but I would take care of myself, stick to my treatment ,to a tee, and with prayer how could I loose. If I was not a test subject, why didn't thay take me off at 12 weeks. There is no such thing as a slow responder. That's what kept me on the hook, and the false hope to keep going, because this treatment is brutal. Dr. Lesage at U.T. Texas liver center told me I was flat out lied to .I maybe had a 5% chance, but that is high. At this time there is no cure. no Zadaxin or all these other coctails as they call them. They are shooting fish in a barrel.I do not want to rain on your parade and ruin your hope. I wish someone like me ,would have told me these things.I have not been on this websight for some time, but today for some reason I just did and you poped up. It's not good news but it's the truth. Sorry you have the demon ,in my prayers..
Me again, Get a good Hepatologist, not a gastro. This disease raised it's ugly head and they didn't know what to do with us , so the gastro guys got us. not really wanting us. thats not what they went to college for.So get a good hep person, get your testing done virral load doesn't have much to do with your liver condition, Get your ultrasound, or biopsy done. now what condition you are in. Iron overload was a big one for me.You have so much coming up in your life. I am 57 and my life has been consummed with this from the end of 04 , started treatment in 05 after the holidays.I got pneumonia ,and then had gallbladder removed. My liver enzymes were high , so the surgeon , she was smart, she did a biopsy while she was already in there and sure enough, hep c , so then came genotyping, my iron levels were extremely high, I was told I should have have blood letting done before treatment because high iron impedes treatment.It wouldn't have worked anyway .it would have just brought on anemia, so then i was dns tested for genetic iron overload , called hemochromotosis,( my spelling is way off on some of these word!) Your son is coming home , a new grand baby, I have lost out on so much of my two grandchildren over the past 6 years, my adult children, my son is having a little girl any day, and I just don't have the energy, and sick all the. I have missed out on the important things in my life, have passed me by.I was so sick on treatment. in and out of emergency rooms , bed ridden, my husband monitoing vitals all some nights. It was horrible. I have never been so sick. Then you get addicted to pain medication , and have to go thu that. only to have to go back on them because of the pain, post treatment. Please think lond and hard.you are young, if your liver is ok , wait and enjoy your life. Get whatever meds you need to treat your symptoms now , and enjoy your life while you can. This is a slow growing disease. You may die of something else before hepc, or in a few years they may have the deffinate cure. No maybe's. a for sure cure.Don't let the fear take over, and this disease will consume you ,if you let it. waste of precious time. I do care Renee or I wouldn't take the time to tell you the truth, not all the sugar coated versions, co into that websight clinical care options, when it askes for a licence number ,just put in a random 4 and profession check other. these guy's are from all over the world and you get the real skinny..Congratulations on your son making it home. mine is in the army, and the new baby, We are blessed !

Hopfully   Renee   got all that   after  waiting 6 years to hear from you ..
Oh, by the way, the treatment also leads to cognitive and linguistic dysfunction.  Critical thinking skills may become severely degraded.  
thank you for the encouragement. I was diagnosed recently, I'm in my late 30's, my mother died after carrying the virus for 20 years and never did treatments, when she died she had cirrhosis of the liver. the doctor said I most likely got it from her. I start the treatments in 2 weeks, I'm trying to stay positive I have Hep C 1b and the more I read about it I want to cry. I'm not sure what stage but the doctor says my bio showed I'm on the borderline of having cirrhosis too.  I want to be optimistic, because my blood tests never showed a problem, the CAT scan never showed anything, but it was my bio that made the world of difference. Anyone not considering to do the biopsy DO IT, it really helps showing how far along you are.

Donna / California

Shanaenae...I'm right there with you.  I have more questions than answers right now.  I'm a 53-yo female who contracted Hep C-I think-after a series of surgeries in 1972.  I discovered the virus in the late 90s after donating blood.  I've found a gastrointerologist (sp?) who treats Hep C patients.  I do feel confident with him. My family doctor has been monitoring my liver enzymes for years, but with the recent publicity about the disease, I decided it was time to see a specialist. I've taken the "stick my head in the sand" approach.  I have just found out that my hep is 1B.  From the other posts, that sounds ominous!  I've seen what liver failure and liver cancer do to people I love, so I'm going to do this and fight it. I haven't gone to the second appointment to find out details yet. What my doctor has told me is that it's a six-month regime.  Right now I'm trying to get my head right about going through this.  Instead of OMG--six months!  I'm trying to think--geez-I can handle that for ONLY six months.  After all, pregnancy lasts almost ten months! I like this site and thanks to all who've posted. Please keep giving your advice.
I have a question for you and all others... At which point do you need biopsy? My VL is low, between 250K-500K, but I do ultrasound every year and blood tests and my doctors says that we'll continue monitoring.
When you were suggested biopsy, was that b/c ultrasound or catscan showed irregularities of liver?

I have no symptoms, in fact I am very healthy.
I eep healthy pH level, drink 2 liters of Evian a day(the most alkaline water as I was told) and I practically don't eat red meat. The virus binds to iron, hence less iron=>less mutants.

Should I still ask the doctor to get biopsy done?

I am really trying to delay treatment b/c of all awful side effects. I am waiting for scientists to find something better...
Am I wrong to wait?
Hi...
You have tagged on to an old thread and you may get a better response if you start you own thread..however While I am here ..... :)

There is no hard and fast rule on "when or even "if you need a biopsy.

You mention you are having ultrasounds  as well as blood makers on a regular basis and this is always a good idea as these tests may show indication of a liver being chirrotic (not always) however it is the biopsy most used by physicians to ascertain the amount of liver damage (fibrosis) you may have.

HCV is very often asymptomatic for many years and often decades , however this again is not  an indicator of how much fibrosis is occurring

When to treat your HCV is always a  personal desicion and one that should be discussed with a doctor who is familiar with your health(including liver ) as well as knowlegable about HCV and  the different treatment paradigms.

There is currently tx.available that is approx. 70 -.80 % succesful (depending on various factors ) and yes the drug companies are working hard currently on a number of different modalities(however may still be  3 -5 years away)

Are you wrong to wait ?
I would advise that all depends on  how damaged you liver is currently and a biopsy will give that indication.

Good luck and welcome to the group..
Will
I have had hep c genotype 1b for 33 years and always had regular physicals. I was just diagnosed this year. My liver byopsy shows signs of cirrhosis so I decided not to take treatment. I can not believe one little tattoo when I was 21 caused me to have this and the fact that no DR. noticed it all these years. I felt well, energetic and full of life until I lost my job 4 years ago. The stress made the hep c rear it's ugly head and now I am always weak, tired and itchy. I have no idea what is happening to me, my blood pressure and heart rate went through the roof. I take ammino acid, multi oil and coq10 for my blood pressure and xanex for my anxiety. I take it one day at a time. I would love to be a test subject for any new treatments. If you guys hear of one, please let me know.
What are the number side effects from treatment