Hepatitis C Community
Treatment

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Treatment

Do most people start treatment right away or do you wait if you are not symptomatic?  I keep having these moment where I need to know all the answer and all the next steps.        And then for a moment I'm ok.  Is it better to get my body in shape before undergoing treatment (kind of like preparing for battle).  I all ready have aches and pains and am over-weight.  Would treatment intensify this?
When to treat depends on many factors, one of which is your stage of liver damage. Have you had a liver biopsy?
Advocate1955
I think is important that you know what is the level of damage on your liver. There are people who are asymptomatic yet have cirrhosis.

Maybe a first step will have to determine through a biopsy where you are at and then consider your options again

To your question "Do most people start treatment right away?"

From what has been posted plus my intuition on the question, the most common answer may be the condition of one's liver.  If it is at stage 3 or 4 for inflammation and or fibrosis.  Then there is an urgency because the liver doesn't regenerate as quickly in these later stages.  If however, the liver damage is minimal and in the early stages then one may choose to wait for the new and improved treatments that are in the pipeline.

Surely some more experienced people will have more to say about this.  But, they may ask you to provide some more details about your condition.

I too am a bit on the heavy side.  Don't have much of an appetite
since starting tx.
I saw one of your earlier posts and I can imagine how overwhelmed you must be since you just found out you have Hepatitis C. Once you find out your genotype and the state of fibrosis you are you might have an idea how to plan. In many cases Hepatitis C is asymptomatic so going by how you feel might not be the most reliable treatment indicator.

In the short run be sure to obtain copies of all your lab tests from now on.  I do remember getting tested for Hepatitis A & B and getting vaccinated for both of those conditions.
http://www.medicinenet.com/hepatitis_immunizations/article.htm

Thanks for all the posts.  Its nice to have a community to discuss this.  I am married and me and my husband have said a word on the subject since I got diagnosed.  He knows he needs to get tested but wants me to have all the facts at one time and then give them to him.  We are opposites I need to know he doesn't want to know.  Will let you know how the Dr. goes tomorrow. Just in the few responses I feel less alone.  Thank you all so much.
  To add to what other posters have said.Being over weight with HCV increases your risks of diabetes,fatty liver,heart diseases.If you can try to lose weight before starting treatment it will increase your chances of having a successful treatment.