Hepatitis C Community
Type 2

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Type 2

Hi everyone!
I just found out I have Genotype 2, and have probably had it for 26 years which was when I could have been exposed. I'm on Coumadin so my Doctor won't do a Liver Biopsy. However, he is going to have a Radiologist do whatever it is they do to examine the liver, and I'm told that they can determine the Stage from that.......CT Scan? or MRI, don't know.
I have had no symptoms except I tire easily, the "fatigue factor". I can walk briskly without getting short of breath, but anything strenuous and I'm breathing hard.
I have also had a couple of disorientation episodes, brief each time, and 4 or 5 months apart.
The Doctor is almost positive that he will recommend treatment, but I'm really afraid because of all the horror stories out there. Has there been any positive results from just supplements like Milk Thistle and antioxidents? Also, I can't miss any work.
Also, I'm still having a cocktail and two glasses of wine each night. What I read seems to be contradictory about that. Most Doctors surveyed say that moderate alcohol intake is OK....???
I am 64 and have an artificial Aortic Valve. Side effects say that it could effect the heart.
Is Pegasys the way to go if I must treat this?
Pegasys is the newest, most effective with least side affects drug to treat this and allot of people are doing great on it.  The alcohol this is something you should really put aside as soon as possible.  We are trying to save our livers here and alcohol is on of the worst things for it.  good luck to you.
Thanks! OK, the booze is gone. The anxiety isn't.
Welcome diny I was diagnosed only 3 weeks ago, I'm 52 I'm genotype 1 viral load is 2,250,000. I probably contracted this 20-25 years ago.The only symtom I had was fatigue, and couldn't get rid of the nasty cold(flu)that has been goin around recently. That's what took me to the Dr. I've been getting some great info here. We all share the same thing...we have been infected with HepC. Yeah this is a scary, anxiety, giving disease. There is hope on the other side of all of this! The hard part is the waiting for test results, lab work, or each new step we must accomplish to get closer to the final goal, a clean SVR (sustained viral response) one step at a time is ALL you can do! I still am waiting for my Liver Biopsy to get an idea of the true damage that might be goin on in my liver..after that then the decision of what medication for treatment to choose? This is scary in it self too. Yeah it sound like horror stories on the meds but...it's worth it to me to do what I can. Stay in close contact with your Dr. Ask question!! My best to you and everyone here still treating and SVR!  Happy Healthy New Year, Annette
I am/was a 2B been on Pegasys/Copegus for 17 weeks now. Still working 4 day a week. Liver Panels still high?? Just got back from an altra-sound to see if there is anything else. I cleared at 12 weeks but enzymes continued to climb. The side affects for me have for the most part been bareable.  I have had some bad days I think we all do. I believe the oldies that had to use the peg_intron stuff were the real pioneers and had the worst time. Because of them the rest of us are having an easier time at it. <B>Thank you to the oldies that cleared the path for the rest of us.</B>
Hi there and welcome to our HAPPY group of heppers. Sorry you had to meet us this way.
At 64 with a heart condition I'm not so sure I would attempt these meds in their current form. These interferons are not very friendly even to the otherwise healthy folks and would be especially dangerous for you. It sounds like your doc is moving down the right path for you and doing so with the proper caution. It all kinda depends on what all your tests show. I would request copies of ALL your tests to keep in a file at home. Your Ultrasound results will be kind of important....along with your alt/ast and Pcr tests with the viral load numvers. Other things come into play too because of your heart stuff.
It should be noted that most folks do NOT actually die from Hcv. But that stat doesn't say much for what their quality of life can become with the different symptoms that can come along as the liver deteriorates. DO NOT DRINK! Drinking can GREATLY accellerate the progression of the damage. Your drinking days should be over. Do not take Iron suppliments. Your liver can have problems with Iron storage if you are at chirrosis (cirrhosis) levels.
Nobody knows if Milk Thistle really helps....but I haven't heard anywhere that it hurts anything so I think I would go fot it in your case. That and the antioxidents...vitamins C & E and Green teas are good. Just live healthy now. Get some form of exercise. Just not too much.
Let your doc run through those tests and when ALL the info is layed out then you will be able to make a good informed decision.
Good Luck
I am also 2b and now on week 18.
Unfortunatly my 12 week pcr got lost so I don,t know how I'm doing.
Even so I am getting quite excited that the end is almost in sight.
Best wishes
Joanna
I'm 56, WAS 2b.  B/I tx'ed & cl'd @3wks, fn24wks peg alpha 2-riba (prefilled pens) w/3xwk injections, daily pills, now post-tx 15+mo, SVR.

I don't think one's ever too old, or too sick, or too depressed to tx, esp 2b's.  So many things you may be attributing to age may be suble signs of hep c.

I didn't have such a bad time.  B/my partner and I restructured our lives to deal w/this matter.  We devoted 2yrs.  6mo to get healthy enuf to start tx, 6 mo to take tx, and the next 6-9mo to rebuild and improve and repair my health-mentally, physically and spiritually.

We changed, b/changed for the better.  We are healthier, happier and wiser.

Since you're 2b and know how to take care of yourself and heal(heart valve taught you that) and have a 'purer'(fewer mutations over time) strain, you may cl immediately, too.

I beleive in mega vitamins, and think milk thistle and SAMe help.  Anything that improves your immune system will help.

I quit everything-no crack, no blow, no wine, no alcohal (alcohol)-nothing.  All these things are like jet fuel to the virus.  And I think the body can become 'virus driven', demanding what feeds it best.

So even before tx, start to starve the virus and build up your defenses by protecting your liver.  Give it a rest.

Good luck.
I'm also a 2. read my answer on the previous post.   Joni
I agree with you and your healthy heart!  Best of luck to you.
OHC
Thanks for your time and thoughtful response. The defect in my heart was corrected with the new valve, and test indicate a very strong heart and the valve working perfectly. I will check with Doctor, but I don't think the meds would affect the heart, since it is not diseased.
These 'disorienting episodes' could be encephalopathy.  this is a state of mental confusion or drowsiness caused by toxic elemnts in the blood that the impaired liver can not clear.  This is a sign of liver failure.  Don't take this lightly.  If it is encephalopathy, steps should be taken now to bring your blood levels back into normal ranges.

Damage can be permanent, altho, alot of mine seems to be resolving itself.

Once signs of liver failure begin to present themselves, corrective measures should be taken immediately.

I think the encephalopathy is one of the scariest  manifestations of hep c.  Once you start having those fuzzy moments, the virus seems to take over the thinking process w/more frequency.

I did it all.  peg-riba, herbs, vitamins, diet, exercise, meditation.  As long as nothing worsened my condition, I was willing to add it.  So, a combo of approaches while taking the combo drugs all worked together to cure, repair and heal.

My encephalopathy just left huge gaps in my memory.  I'm amazed how much I was able to reverse.
"encephalopathy" is something I have read about. My episodes have been so infrequent, and so short in duration, that I don't think that's what I have. But, you are right, of course. It could very well be a warning sign, and symtomatic of the development of encephalopathy down the road.
Your posts have been most helpful. Many thanks! I havent had all my testing yet, but am already doing milk thistle, artichoke extract, 100mg 'C', and 800 mg 'E'. I stopped the alcohol last night and had a hard time. Didn't sleep like I'm use to, but still feel great this morning, alert and energetic.
I'll probably start tx before February, but I don't know if I can give myself a shot.......???
I had 5 Riba capsules-200mg-a day and 3 Interferon Alfa-2b, Recombinant injections wkly for 24wks.  My injections were done w/a prefilled pen that we put a new point(needle) on each time.

The injection just involved 'clicking' to correct amt, after puting on the point, and then my partner gave me the injection.  I think at first it hurt him more than me, b/quickly it was no pain for either of us.  didn't hurt me, didn't hurt him.  He just pinched an inch on my upper thigh and shot it right in.

You might be pleasently surprised on the difference in how you feel.  I feel and move years younger now.  I made several international trips during the 2yrs, Paris, Cabo, Amsterdam, and never missed not drinking, and I've been to those places drinking.  I've now noticed that no one notices or cares, b/c I don't care what they do to their livers, I just know that mine has had enough, thank you.  I know its not too much, b/c I'm still hre.  B/just enough.