Hepatitis C Community
UPDATE 1-U.S. acts swiftly to contain swine flu outbreak

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

* US to release 25 percent of anti-viral stockpile

* Health chief recommends planning for school closures

* Too early to determine impact on economy (Updates to add information from CDC briefing)

By Ross Colvin

WASHINGTON, April 26 (Reuters) - The United States declared a public health emergency on Sunday because of an outbreak of swine flu that has been diagnosed in 20 people in this country -- the same strain suspected of killing 81 people in Mexico.

The outbreak is yet another distraction for President Barack Obama as he focuses on rescuing the economy from its worst crisis in decades. His administration will also be mindful of the damage to former President George W. Bush over his government's inept handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

"At this point, a top priority is to ensure that communication is robust and that medical surveillance efforts are fully activated," John Brennan, assistant to the president for Homeland Security, told a White House briefing.

Dr Anne Schuchat of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told a separate briefing she feared that some people would die in the United States as the virus spread.

Health and Homeland Security officials announced steps to release some of the U.S. stockpiles of the anti-flu drugs Tamiflu and Relenza. They recommended that local authorities plan for possible school closures and that anyone with symptoms stay at home to reduce the possibility of transmission.

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said it was too early to say what impact the outbreak could have on efforts to get the economy back on its feet. Spiraling healthcare costs are already a huge drain on the economy.

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said the declaration of the public health emergency was necessary to free federal, state and local agencies' resources and authorize the release of funds to buy more antivirals.

"This is standard operating procedure," Napolitano stressed, adding that similar declarations had been issued in the past to help states cope with flooding or hurricanes.

CASES MILD

The CDC confirmed 20 cases of swine flu in the United States and said all the patients had recovered and only one person had to be hospitalized. Officials said they were not testing air travelers from Mexico for the virus.

The CDC is preparing a "yellow card" for travelers explaining the flu symptoms and what precautions to take, Schuchat said. U.S. health officials are stressing frequent hand washing as the first line of defense against the virus.

Tests so far show that the H1N1 component of the seasonal flu vaccine does not protect against the new H1N1 swine flu strain, Schuchat said. It could take several months to develop a vaccine for the new virus, she added.  Continued...

The virus in the U.S. cases appeared to be the same strain as the one that has killed scores in Mexico, CDC acting Director Dr Richard Besser said, although it was not yet clear why it had not proven as deadly in the United States. Health officials from the United States and Canada were now in Mexico to try to answer this "critical question," he said.

"We expect to see more cases of swine flu. As we continue to look for cases, we expect that we will find them," Besser said.

Napolitano said the United States would release 25 percent of the 50 million anti-flu drugs from the strategic national stockpile. The Department of Defense has also bought 7 million courses of Tamiflu for defense personnel, she said.

Tamiflu, a pill made by Roche AG ROG.X and Gilead Sciences Inc (GILD.O), and GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK.L) (GSK.N) and Biota's (BTA.AX) Relenza, an inhaled drug, can treat influenza if given quickly. They have been shown to work against this new flu strain.

Gibbs said Obama, who recently returned from a trip to Mexico, had shown no symptoms of the virus and had therefore not been tested. (Additional reporting by Kim Dixon, Donna Smith and Maggie Fox; editing by Eric Beech)

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN2649351120090426
It hit New York so it's only a matter of time before it's everywhere.
Sad to say.  
Thanks Jim.
from NYTImes

Many questions surround the current outbreak of swine flu, which caused the United States government on Sunday to declare a public health emergency after confirming 20 cases in this country. American officials stressed that the cases here were all mild, with only one person hospitalized.

But in Mexico, where the outbreak began, swine flu is believed to have killed at least 81 people and to have given about 1,300 serious breathing problems. The central question every flu expert in the world would like answered, Dr. Martin Cetron, director of global migration and quarantine for the Centers for Disease Control, said in an interview, is how many mild cases Mexico has had.

“We may just be looking at the tip of the iceberg, which would give you a skewed initial estimate of the case fatality rate,” he said, meaning that there may have been tens of thousands of mild infections, which would then make the number of deaths seemingly low. In that case, as the flu spreads, it would not be surprising if the number of people who become seriously ill remained relatively small.

Right now, the answer is unknowable. Only two laboratories the world, the C.D.C. in Atlanta and the Canadian national laboratory in Winnipeg, have developed the reagents needed to do a positive test for the new flu strain, so samples from any other country must be sent to them for confirmation.

Even in 1918, experts point out, the pandemic Spanish flu infected at least 500 million of the world’s 1.5 billion people, killing 50 million. Many of those lives would have been saved if anti-flu drugs, antibiotics and mechanical ventilators had existed.

In early April, Mexico had noticed that it had high numbers of serious respiratory illnesses and some deaths. It began sending samples to Canada and the United States, asking for help genotyping the new virus.

The ages of the victims in Mexico also concern health officials. Unlike typical flu seasons, when infants and the aged are usually the most vulnerable, none of the initial deaths in Mexico were in people older than 60 or younger than 3 years old, a spokeswoman with the World Health Organization said. Pandemic flus — like the 1918 flu and outbreaks in 1957 and 1968 — often strike young, healthy people the hardest. When a new virus emerges, deaths may occur in healthy adults who mount the strongest immune reactions. Their own defenses — inflammation and leaking fluid in lung cells — can essentially drown them from inside.

A second hypothesis, Dr. Cetron said, is that there is some other factor in Mexico that increased the lethality of the virus, such as co-infection with another microbe or an unwittingly dangerous form of treatment.

For example, a co-infection with the AIDS virus makes it much more likely that someone with tuberculosis will die of it. And Reyes syndrome emerged when infants with fevers were treated with aspirin.

However, Dr. Cetron emphasized that there is no evidence of any co-infection in Mexico or anything unusual about flu treatment there.

Flu experts would also like to know whether this year’s flu shots give any cross-protection against the new swine flu strains. There is an H1N1 human strain in this year’s flu shot, and all H1N1 flus are descendants of the 1918 pandemic strain. But flus pick up many mutations over the years, especially when they move back and forth between humans, pigs, birds and other hosts.

There will be no evidence for several days as to whether the shots are protective, until the C.D.C. can get stored blood samples with antibodies to the flu shot and test them against the new virus. Those tests are under way now, according to a flu expert who sent the C.D.C. his blood samples.

In several countries, students reported they were ill upon returning from spring break in Mexico. For example, three teachers and 22 students at Rangitoto College, a New Zealand high school near Auckland, were reported to be ill after arriving after a three-week trip to Mexico on a flight via Los Angeles.

Mexico’s annual flu season was trailing off in March, when there was a new spike in cases. That usually happens when B strain flus peak late in the season, but B strains are usually mild. Mexico sent samples to the United States and Canada after its officials realized the country was having an unusual outbreak with severe cases.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/27/health/27questions.html
http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/whatsnew.htm
yike!  i still have to go to school bc it's finals time with at least 80 kids in 1 room for each of my classes.  also, i'm in a border state, and having low whites isn't a good thing either.  should i start carrying masks around with me?

just got home from a dance recital and was nervous the entire time of the people sitting around me!  there was a little boy who kept coughing and a woman behind me who kept sneezing and blowing her nose.  ahh!  definitely taking my Neupogen tonight, should have had it earlier last night!
http://twitter.com/CDCemergency
Check out the "kitty mask" :)

http://allscrubbedup.blogspot.com/2007/12/designer-surgical-masks.html

But seriously, you probably want to call your doctor and the school on Monday to see if any precautions are warranted.

Cute jmjm...  :)

Yes, Lal, I agree with Jim.  Call and find out what your doc recommends especially since you are in a school setting with close contact with large numbers of people.
Maybe the school will offer an option to take final exams over the summer or something like that. Meow.
dude this thing is spreading fast, New Zealand, Spain, Canada, 5 states already in the US.
This is hitting like wildfire...now Ohio, Queens , New York, Texas, Ca and of course Mexico. They just said they expect alot more by mid week.......

Nothing here in Florida yet........

Stay out of airports and hospitals if at all possible........
Geez.....how sad is this.
Geez.....how sad is this.
---------------------------------------

In particular avoid "How I spent my Spring Break in Mexico" parties
NOW THE S.HIT WUILL HIT THE FAN
Can you say TERRORISM
Yup, Mexico is not exactly a good place to visit for several reasons now.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040727/040727_kerry_hmed_4p.hmedium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5528951/&h=272&w=423&sz=19&tbnid=TsGu_i0rQxWPAM::&tbnh=81&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Danti-contamination%2Bsuits%2Bphotos&hl=en&usg=__dsDr-CZ6FosvDW77FjQYFJdIEDw=&ei=GeT0SaS4H6OxtgfZ2-C5Dw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image
How bout public transit,will this shut down and the airports?
Stay out of airports.  Sigh.  My son is sitting in O'Hare at the moment just having come from San Diego.  I'm on my way soon to pick him up at Toronto Airport.  I'm seriously thinking of quarantining him at home for 48 hours, the upper limit of the 24-48 incubation period for this.
this is so insane, i'm in one of the infected states and my school is doing NOTHING about it.  will submit an emergency inquiry to them NOW.
Transmission among humans is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu - by touching something with flu viruses and then touching their mouth or nose, and through coughing or sneezing.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-mexico-flu-box25-2009apr25,0,5114253.story
Trish, probably not an unreasonable thing to do.  Trouble will be getting him to agree with you.  :)
He will be okay...I just wish he were home already too!
This is horrible....and the media is just reporting constantly.......and people are really starting to panic...and yet some arent paying it any mind at all..............
Hospitals are real bad to be in...the ventalation systems can spread it very fast....same as subways....ill be wearing my maskwhen i go shopping  from now on....they may think im a bank robber
I posted this on the other side too.  Kind of a handy site:

http://twitter.com/CDCemergency

There is no vaccine to protect humans from swine flu although the CDC is formulating one
OOPS, sorry for posting that site twice...I got confused.  :)
Should i still have my pork roast dinner tonite?
I have a huge wedding Friday evening in Coral Cables, and the brides family is coming in from OHIO!!

Im not happy about this for my sake or anyone else's.
What a wedding this will be depending upon what happens by then.

Then the bride and groom are flying to Nappa Valley with their 5 month old son???????
I sure hope they change their mind about Nappa Valley.
But I doubt they will!!
Great I will be surrounded by at least 100 people coming from the airport!
Charm, you could wear a sequined mask...more formal for weddings.  :)

Seriously, I feel for you.
I have a sequined top so maybe I should!  I dont want to go I really dont!
Im not a paranoid person however under the circumstances who would want to be around a hundred people who just got off the plane...Everyone will be kissy huggy!!
YIKES!!!

If I could get out of this I would but I cant.
Thanks Meakea
"Trish, probably not an unreasonable thing to do.  Trouble will be getting him to agree with you.  :) "

No kidding, eh? :)  Just back in Canada after 8 months gone (except for Christmas) and first thing he's going to want to do is go see all his friends. He's pretty level-headed so we'll see.  I just remember that guy who flew with TB and *knew* about it and didn't quarantine himself.

Charm - I know he'll be okay, just will be nice to have him home and thanks for the good words.  As for your wedding, could be that *everyone* will be wearing masks at the wedding.  I'd bring your sequined one just in case.  Pictures though please! :)

Seriously, I hope this gets contained quickly.  The comforting thing, albeit not for Mexico, is that there don't seem to be any deaths outside of Mexico so far, the subsequent infections seem relatively mild.  

Yikes.  Just thought....maybe should bring a mask myself.  Will have to watch the board and see if there are flights coming back from Mexico.  They say it's not airborne, it's personal contact.   Okay, getting a grip.  I'm off to the airport.
it is airboure...snezzing spreads it
How does swine flu spread?
Influenza viruses can be directly transmitted from pigs to people and from people to pigs. Human infection with swine flu viruses are most likely to occur when people are in close proximity to infected pigs, such as in pig barns and livestock exhibits at fairs.

Human-to-human transmission of swine flu can also occur. This is thought to occur in the same way as seasonal flu occurs in people, which is mainly person-to-person transmission through coughing or sneezing of people infected with the flu virus. People may become infected by touching something with flu viruses on it and then touching their mouth or nose.
this is why Roche is amazing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090426/hl_nm/us_flu_drugs

"Roche Holding AG's Tamiflu, known generically as oseltamivir, and GlaxoSmithKline Plc's Relenza, or zanamivir, are both recommended drugs for seasonal flu and have been shown to work against viral samples of the new disease.

Tamiflu is expected to be in greatest demand should swine flu develop into a pandemic, as experts fear it may, since it is given as a tablet. Relenza must be inhaled.

Roche said it has a stockpile of 3 million packages of Tamiflu ready for use by the World Health Organization (WHO), half held in the United States and half in Switzerland."
So who bought a surgical mask today? Who bought some of that instant hand cleaner? Well, call me paranoid, but I bought the instant hand cleaner to carry along  which is good to use even without Swine Flu in the neighborhood.
Google map of the outbreak:

http://tinyurl.com/cosuzr
I already have the sanitizer in my car, kitchen & bathroom.  LOL
in 1968 and 1957, and the severe "Spanish flu" pandemic of 1918, which killed an estimated 40 to 50 million people worldwide.
2. What will happen if this outbreak gets classified as a pandemic?

Moving the world to pandemic phase 4 would be the signal for serious containment actions to be taken on the national and international level. Given that these actions would have major implications for the global economy, not to mention the effects of the public fear that would ensue, there is concern that the WHO may be considering politics along with science. "What the WHO did makes no sense," says Osterholm. "In a potential pandemic, you need to have the WHO be beyond question, and (April 25) was not a good day for them."

Of course, declaring a pandemic isn't a decision that should be taken lightly. For the WHO, phase 4 might trigger an attempt to keep the virus from spreading by instituting strict quarantines and blanketing infected areas with antivirals. But we appear to have missed the opportunity to contain the disease at its source since the virus is already crossing borders with ease. "We cannot stop this at the border," said Anne Schuchat, the CDC's interim director for science and public health. "We don't think that we can quench this in Mexico if it's in many communities now."

That would leave the WHO and individual countries to fall back on damage control, using antivirals and old-fashioned infection control - like closing schools, limiting public gatherings and even restricting travel - to slow the spread of the virus. But such efforts would likely inflict serious damage on an already faltering global economy - and the truth is, we don't know how well those methods will work.

who would want to be around a hundred people who just got off the plane...Everyone will be kissy huggy!!
YIKES!!!

Stop bathing now - by the weekend you should be good to go....
talk about yikes!  2 confirmed in my state and 5 under testing.  and i'm at school.  yep, the only schools canceled here are the ones that already have confirmed cases.  and the largest school district here says they are still not considering closure, only to keep their nurses "more alert."  i don't want to have to wait until there is a case in my school before they close, that will be too late for the public, staff members, and the STUDENTS!
I'm a little surprised by the level of alarm regarding this issue on this board. You'd think folks who have been through what most of us have been through might be a little more restrained in our judgements. Oh well, I guess it's the nature of discussion boards to veer toward the sensational.

I recommend the following helpful article just published in the on-line magazine Salon entitled "Swine Flu: Don't Panic:

http://www.salon.com/env/vital_signs/2009/04/27/swine_flu/

Marc,  I love reading what you have to say...It's all about living in the present and not worrying so much about what may or may not even happen.
hey better safe than sorry

you wouldn't say that if the swine flu was in the same state as you
Hmmm... I don't buy it. I have learned that our government loves to perpetuate a "so called crises" in order to usurp the constitution. (both parties). Time to look behind this story and see what they are trying to sneak by.

or.....

It is real and we are all going to die..............YIKES!
fever, chills, body aches, headaches, nausea....Ah, the good old days.  There's some riba around here some where..................
I'm hanging on to my leftover riba, too.  Hey, you never know!
Marc: You'd think folks who have been through what most of us have been through might be a little more restrained in our judgements.
------------------------
Ribavirin restraining judgement? I think you've got the pills mixed up. LOL. But seriously, as President O. said, it's nothing to be alarmed about but it is something to be *concerned* about, especially if you're walking around a deck short of WBCs and on a college campus like Lalapple where they probably pack the classrooms like sardines in a can.

-- Jim
If your on TX, chances are the virus doesn't have a chance in  h e l  l   to take hold.

People on TX are pumped so full of anti virals no virus would find you a hospitable host.

In Mexico they use to use ribavirin in inhaler form, to help with the flu and common cold.

apache
---------------------------------------------------

This is just a ploy to get everybody on IFN before the new drugs get released.
hahahhahahaha.

Seriously,  I look at it a little bit like Gauf.  I'm surprised after all; weren't we all supposed to be dead from the avian flu 3 years back?

As rosanna rossanandanna used to say; it's always something.  I hope this turns out to be benign and usually it is.

Well; I've got to go fill the tub in my fallout shelter with drinking water and buy all the ramen and oatmeal at the grocery store, and get fresh gas for my Y2K gas generator.......and some tang for the rickets and some masking tape to seal my doors.

(Walks out whistling)..... "Good Bye It's Been Good To Know You",

Willy
Dr. Enoch Choi is going to be doing a health chat on Wednesday about the swine flu. I plan on attending. My mom keeps warning me about this flu and I'm going to Mexico for a wedding next month!

http://www.medhelp.org/health_chats/list_upcoming
The virus quickly spread around the globe Monday. There are now 40 confirmed cases in the U.S. - twice the number reported over the weekend by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090427/national/swine_flu_canada
packed like sardines is right!  

and really about the people on treatment?   hope the swine flu virus or any virus for that fact stand a chance against INF/Riba.
"Should We Panic?

No. Public-health officials say the swine flu that's killing people in Mexico probably won't hit the U.S. as hard."

http://www.newsweek.com/id/195302?from=rss
Let me say a few further words about why I disagree with the alarmist tone of many posting on this thread.

Folks, we are all victims of this sort of hysteria and rush to judgment in another context. Remember? We have HCV. There are all sorts of rumors floating out there about HCV – that it is the sign of a sinful life, that it is sexually transmitted, etc. etc. All of us spend time trying to combat these misunderstandings and promote a more balanced and accurate understanding of the illness.

So let's take our experience and apply it to this case. Let's be patient and wait to hear what the experts come up with rather than rushing to judgement. I am sure that hysterical calls for extreme measures are not constructive. As I said before, I'm really surprised that folks who are combatting HCV and the negative social stereotypes that come with it, would be alarmist. Seems to me to be the last group of people who would respond in this way.
The facts are this is a new deadly disease that is going to spread all over the world...its only a matter of time...influenza is VERY contagious....i think being overly caitious is a smart move....not saying one should panic...but this cause for some SERIOUS action....its not contained..its in the public
"you wouldn't say that if the swine flu was in the same state as you "

I just spent three days working our biggest trade show of the year - at the Jacob Javits Center by the river in New York City and let me tell you, people are wearing MASKS. Not a lot of them (and most looked like immigrants) but it was VERY unnerving and when you think about the thousands of people that passed by us in that old stale recycled air.................

It reminded me of the Steven King book/movie THE STAND

And yes it was scary - my two kids were working a booth and they wanted to leave.

BUT this is not the plague so we just stayed and kept our heads like every other rational person there.  Living in a metropolitan area you have to get used to the concept of threats (whether bio or bombs or whatever) because seriously you have to live your life and to ponder and worry about it all the time well - not going to work.

And yes, I watched the Bird Flu movie of the week a few years back and nobody died of that that I knew personally and the world is still here and I still eat chicken ;)  Of course come 2012 when the world blows up I'll be shocked then - but to worry about this stuff is just ridiculous unless you have the ability to move to a deserted island for the rest of your life.

Hey, Rocker – you're exactly what I'm talking about. It is not at all clear that this new virus is deadly. In every place but Mexico it's been quite mild. They are still trying to figure out why. Chill out, dude. There are plenty of viruses that do not become virulent.
I tend to agree with Marc that the current situation is not a huge deal unless you are a cable news outfit.  On the other hand, it has potential but as a disrupting event.  Except for Mexico so far the mortality rate is nothing like avian flu. I find it all very interesting becuase a lot of this planning is what I do.  The biggest problem is the govenment regulators that many industries must deal with. Talk about a bunch of Chicken Littles
Although there are less than 70 confirmed cases, at this time, I can assure you that many businesses are ducks on ponds.  That is, it's business as usual on the surface but beneath the surface there is a lot of frantic activity which is mostly already planned well in advance.
The best thing to do is to chill, stay hygienic and keep informed.
Honestly guys, I don't see anyone here jumping out of their their computers cept maybe "Rocker". LOL. Personally, if I were on treatment, I'd be concerned about being in a crowded situation until more is known about this. "Panic" is what happens when you're not prepared, not when you are. Confucius say.
Put it this way....i will not be going to Mexico anytime soon...no offence to anyone....and i will not be going to any Taco Bells
Two cases of swine flu confirmed in Alberta
Updated Tue. Apr. 28 2009 2:29 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Swine flu has officially arrived in Alberta. Alberta's chief medical officer confirms the province has two mild cases of the new flu: one in Calgary and the other in the northern part of the province.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20090428/Cda_Mex_warning_090428/20090428?hub=TopStories

I think I'll go sneeze in public, see if I can get the mall shut down!

kerchoo!!!
I'm re-thinking my adoption of a Mexican pig.
I dont think i will invest in pork bellies in the stock market.
What do i do if i see someone coming towards me with a pet pig?...run or kill the little fella?
no killing! just run as fast as ya can!!

Leave Porky alone!
JD:  "I think I'll go sneeze in public, see if I can get the mall shut down! "
----------------------------
LOL i think i'll go to school and sneeze and cough so they can shut done and i won't have to take finals and can sleep all day until i finish treatment.  wait until my reds and whites grow back up, then i probably won't be as worried.  but i've always been a worry bug.

NY: "the world is still here and I still eat chicken"
-----------------------------
i can live without pork (not that it matters) but thank goodness we still have chicken in this world!  

JMJM:  yay CONFUCIUS!

but i'm still a little scared :(
*no arguments please*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNa551dR6Rc&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvideo%2Egoogle%2Ecom%2Fvideosearch%3Fq%3Dpink%2Bfloyd%2Bpigs%2Bon%2Bthe%2Bwing%26www%5Fgoogle%5Fdomain%3Dwww%2Egoogle%2Ecom%26hl%3Den&feature=player_embedded

Pigs (Three Different Ones) lyrics

Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are
You well heeled big wheel, ha ha, charade you are
And when your hand is on your heart
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in the pig bin
Saying "keep on digging"
Pig stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find?
When you're down in the pig mine
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.
Bus stop rat bag, ha ha, charade you are
You ****** up old hag, ha ha, charade you are
You radiate cold shafts of broken glass
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost worth a quick grin
You like the feel of steel
You're hot stuff with a hat pin
And good fun with a hand gun
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry.
Hey you Whitehouse, ha ha, charade you are
You house proud town mouse, ha ha, charade you are
You're trying to keep our feelings off the street
You're nearly a real treat
All tight lips and cold feet
And do you feel abused?
.....!.....!.....!.....!
You gotta stem the evil tide
And keep it all on the inside
Mary you're nearly a treat
Mary you're nearly a treat
But you're really a cry.

Ah, Pink Floyd....
My favorite band in the world....love them till the day i die
Why we have virus outbreaks & how we can prevent them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMEPV-NTeZs&feature=channel_page
"What do i do if i see someone coming towards me with a pet pig?...run or kill the little fella? "

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A shot of Interferon and a couple of Riba pills will knock those flu virions on their a**
"ahh!  definitely taking my Neupogen tonight, should have had it earlier last night! "
-----------------

Neupogen increases neutrophils....and neutrophils protect you against BACTERIAL infections, NOT viral.  And swine flu is a virus.  

Plus, you're already taking a great antiviral...Riba.  Riba was initially used for  respiratory infections.

"should i start carrying masks around with me? "
-----------------

If you wear one, make sure you change it often. Breathing can make it moist (as well as spitting when you talk)....and having something moist in front of your nose and mouth would make it easier for a virus to infect you if let's say, somebody with swine coughs right in front of you.

Co
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090428/090428_toronto_swine_flu/20090428/?hub=CP24Home
-----------
This is correct and hopefully the antivirals offer some protection but not sure we can count on that. That said, the flu can open the door to invasive bacterial infections per the below citation. One could also argue (as I have per study data) that low ANC is not associated with more bacterial infections on tx but not sure if the study backup on this took into account the swine flu. Of course we shouldn't panic, but all in all, I don't think erring on the side of caution is overdoing it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
The potential for exacerbation of underlying chronic medical conditions or invasive bacterial infection with swine influenza virus infection should be considered.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/guidelines_infection_control.htm
Flu-fighting masks may help, but don't bet on it

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30464365
Ivve got one of those 3M rubber masks with the pink filters....ill look in fashion going to the corner store.
They are waiting on test results for 2 more possible cases in Pittsburgh.  I feel bad for the very young, very old and the immune compromised, which is many on this forum (I think)  I hate to be one to fall into the hype but you just never know.  & no I am not wearing a mask..................yet    LOL

Denise
the kid who passed away from swine flu was in my state.  tell me i shouldn't be worried about school closing.  school is still not closing and if i don't go, i fail finals.
Just remember, if you're txing you on antivirals.
but i have low whites, and have been on Neupogen for 41 weeks already just to keep my neutrophils up.  the immune system is very important to body's defense against any type of virus.
More and more countries are reporting new cases....soon this will be in every country on the planet....there is no stopping this...sorry if i sounf so negative...but facts are facts...prety soon Mexico will be shut down...no travel in or out
Cuba just banned all air travel with Mexico
They made roasted pork and potatoes for lunch here today (we get free food) - a few weeks ago a note went out asking anyone if they wanted to take a package for early retirement..........anybody see a connection here?  

I got a PB&J.

They didn't have any chicken.
lal, can you get in, take your test and get the heII out.  Just remember DO NOT touch your eyes nose or mouth.  Sit as far as you can from anyone sniffling or coughing, It would be a crying shame for you to miss finals and like trin said the ribavairin is a strong antiviral.  What about a special arrangement for you to tak your finals in a seperate room under the circumstances with a note from your doc?  even in the principals office, the nurses area or empty room?   I am wishing the best for you!!!!

Denise
Me too lal, but we are taking antivirals which hopefully are giving us a bit more bump in resisting the Swine Flu.  Whites fight off bacterial infections, which at this point is of less concern to me than attack from H1N1 virus,  Mexican Flu, North American Virus just to name a few.

Can you imagine throughout all this some groups are offended because swine makes reference to pork among other things.  To remain politically correct they are referring to it using various other names.  Oh yes, political correctness....
I haven't followed the thread but you can:

1) proceed as normal, attending classes and writing your finals

2) get a deferral if possible on the basis of your medical condition (maybe ask Dr. Choi about this on the chat starting now)

3) check into Tamiflu pills, which some students are being offered on a school-wide basis, even if they don't have symptoms (I don't know anything about them)

Your healthy apprehension can serve you well to take extra precautions.  Bring lots of that alcoholic wash with you and keep your hands away from your eyes, nose and mouth. We have to be prepared but so far the cases in the U.S. have been mainly mild.

The little 23 month old who died so tragically in Texas already had underlying health problems and had very recently arrived from his home in Mexico City.  

I myself would probably go ahead and write my exams, given that I have so much ribavirin in my system. I'd hate not to get my exams behind me, which would keep me from celebrating spring. And in your case, celebrate the near-end of your tx!
so apparently the child passed away in a hospital about 15miles away from my house.  first death from the swine flu in America.  

am i going to school today?  HECK NO
but i have 2 final exams tomorrow, 1 on the 4th, 1 on the 8th, 1 on the 11th, and 1 on the 12th.  some exams are assigned seats, a lot of students in small classrooms.  most finals are mandatory, and i am a premedical student so failing is not an option.

i have to stay full time student to stay on insurance for treatment
I got a PB&J.

They didn't have any chicken.

hahahahahahahahahaha!  
I am no way shape or form in the medical profession... although did sleep at the Grey Bar Inn Express last night...and studied some biology...lmao
Seriously, have done tons of reading on our HCV and ifn therapy. Not sure its all true, but it has lead my to believe a couple things. IFN and Riba are very strong anti virals. IIRR, HR even said something about ifn and many other virus being susceptible to ifn.

As my above post said, being on TX, is not virally immune compromised...just the opposite.
While no one would recommend ifn therapy to ward of the swiney  flu, once on tx you are probably protected from many virus infections. Don't misunderstand this to mean tx will 'cure' all virus.

lalapple, The swine flu is a virus, not bacteria. On tx our bacterial immunity is compromised since our anc count goes south from ifn.
This might leave us open to possible bacterial infections, not viral infections. Ask your Hepatologist, he will tell you. IMO it would be a mistake to use this swine flu thing as an excuse to miss your finals.

If there is any real risk to our general population at all, in my laymen opinion, ones here most risk, are those that just finished tx.
Without ifn and riba, we now lack viral protection. And we are still bacterial immune compromised till the white cells build back up, and adjust back to normal. This took a couple months for me to get back to normal blood counts.
Also at risk are tp patients from their immune suppressant drugs, and maybe those of us with advanced liver disease.

jmo
apache
"Flu infections can lead to or occur with bacterial infections.  In that case, people will likely need to also take antibiotics.  A long or severe case of the flu that seems to get better, but then gets worse again, may be a sign of a bacterial infection."

for more information go to:  www.cdc.gov/swineflu/general_info.htm

so yes, a weak immune system and low whites is a very bad thing, don't you just love how one thing leads to another?
I submitted this question to the live chat with Dr. Choi:

portann:
"Does taking 1000 mg daily of ribavirin as part of HCV therapy for the last 45 weeks afford any protection against the swine flu?"

This was his reply:

Dr. Enoch Choi:
"not that i understand"

What do your parents think you should do about your two finals tomorrow? Given how mild it's been so far for the vast majority of people in North America, I'd advise my own kids to take hand sanitizer (knowing them, they wouldn't use it) and write their exams. Your school may already have put precautions in place.

It would be a real shame for you to miss your finals after struggling through the semester on treatment.  I recommend that you go to the exams.  Wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face, especially your eyes.  Keep to yourself as much as possible.  Just do the test and go straight home.  Wash your hands before and after the test, and on any breaks you take.  Use a paper towel to open the door when you leave the restroom.  Maybe bring some of those clorox disinfectant wipes and wipe the surface of your desk.

Most important is handwashing and not touching your face.

Good luck.  Exams will be over soon and then you can relax.

jd
don't worry i won't skip finals, maybe just do badly on them bc i should have started studying but still worrying over this swine flu.

if worse comes to worse, i'll take every final with a mask on my face and gloves on hand if i have to.
Just make everyone else wear the mask!
wish i could Portann!  but we're sold out of masks here already!
Not surprising!

Anyway, I bet you'll be fine and will ace those two exams tomorrow. The added stress will give you an adrenalin surge and the right answers will pop right into your head. And then make a quick exit, hand sanitizer held close.

Your school probably bought out all the masks in town and will be handing them out tomorrow at the door. :)

Best of luck. I remember once having three exams in one day. That was a killer but I did fine.
Portann, interesting question you asked Dr Choi
INF is a very potent anti viral.
Did you also mention to Dr Choi,  weekly injections of peg INF,
or just the 1000 mg of riba ?

Viruses and the type I interferon antiviral system: induction and evasion.
Basler CF, García-Sastre A.

Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Department of Microbiology, New York, NY, USA.

The type I interferon (IFN) system responds to viral infection and induces an "antiviral state" in cells, providing an important first line of defense against virus infection.

http://www.ask.com/bar?q=interferon+anti+viral&page=1&qsrc=145&ab=4&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpubmed%2F12486817

On a side note Ann, knowing you just finished tx, as I have recently also, here is my anecdotal report...lol
There might be something to what HR said about IFN abrupt stopping leaves our viral immune systems in a weakened state till systems get back up to normal. And that this could take some time.
About 4 weeks after I stopped tx, was in plane from pbi to phx, 5 hours of a women right behind me, non stop coughing.
I have not been sick in years and I travel constantly.
I can't remember the last time I had a cold or the flu, maybe 20years?
Well had a 100* fever, non stop cough, bad bad congestion, whizzing, etc, for 8-10 days. Thank God its gone. Hey maybe stopping TX has nothing to do with me getting that cold, flu or whatever it was, don't know, just saying.

apache
Pandemic Imminent Level Raised to five out of six........

But don't get too excited-

In Mexico City, the epicenter of the epidemic, the mayor said Wednesday the outbreak seemed to be stabilizing and he was considering easing the citywide shutdown that closed schools, restaurants, concert halls and sports arenas.

The regular flu kills people every year so don't get carried away - really. It's not The Stand quite yet.
Do you think any of this has to do with the mysterious cannister that Tony is carrying around in "24"? Where is Jack when we need him?
Jack's still trying to get the names of the co-conspirators!  And going psycho on poor Jeanine Garafalo!
I'm very disturbed that Tony has been turned into a villain. Do you see any way how he can end up be vindicated? I mean "deep cover" is one thing but killing the head of the FBI and trying to kill Jack is another LOL Yeah, ack is going psycho on the psycho, yes!
I'm not sure how they can vindicate Tony - deep cover notwithstanding.  What about the president's daughter?  She has something up her sleeve, no?
What about the president's daughter?  She has something up her sleeve, no?
-------------------------
The way things are going, I'm even starting to suspect Aaron, the secret service guy. I always read those pained glances one way, but now, who knows. Must say though, the show has great casting.
I'm very disturbed that Tony has been turned into a villain

I JUST said the same thing to JD Jim - I am SO upset by this and if it turns out to be "evil twin" tony or "deep undercover and everyone was in the dark and Larry is alive Tony" either way it will still have me pissed off cause he s the one who would NEVER do something like this = shoot I'd believe Chloe first! But in order for it to be deep undercover Tony Bill would have to be not dead too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The President's daughter is a rat - I bet she is getting revenge on her family for not getting enough attention or cookies when she was ten or something.........remember the year it was the blonde one and the sister had to help bring her down?

Jack get your act together there are only a few weeks left and it had BETTER have a good conclusion and everybody better not just pop back alive and go ooops sorry we were alive all along!

PS I started so suspect the secret service guy too they made him make some pretty odd faces and did some odd "bad guy like" camera work on him.........then I started to think why easy it's Renee that is why Larry is pretending to be dead he coudln't trust her - so ok we've nailed it down to "it's everybody except Jack".

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.

No, it CANNOT be Jack. That would be be so dark...like a dark mushroom cloud over America TV. So dark.. well, anyway it CANNOT be Jack.  I thought about Renee as well. But what about the dumb blonde (sorry smart blondes) daughter of Jacks? She seemed to high tale out of town real quick with her bone marrow in tact.
Thanks for the heads up. I've been thinking about that because I'd hoped to race to every crowded event I could find until this flu came along. Cabin fever unmasked.

I hesitated to go to a very busy, popular supermarket yesterday but went, anyway. It was almost empty! I've never seen that before; the manager looked miserable.

I didn't ask Dr. Choi about the INF. I'd read that one could buy ribavirin OTC in Mexico for many years, taken 'against' the flu. That's what partly prompted me to focus on riba in my question to him.

I sure don't want to stay home and watch Aaron, as great as he is. It's the teeming crowds I crave! Wish me luck. I'm off again.

vindicate Tony - deep cover notwithstanding.

Diffidently they will try and vindicate Tony under the guise of saving the USA from the laptop forum that voted to do the one canister thingy. Tony is after them to make Bills death worthwhile and save the country from take over.

apache
pigs represent the people whom Roger Waters considers to be at the top of the social ladder, the ones with wealth and power; they also manipulate the rest of society and encourage them to be viciously competitive and cutthroat, so the pigs can remain powerful. Waters suggests that the pigs manipulate the dogs in the lines "Gotta admit, that I'm a little bit confused/Sometimes it seems to me, as if I'm just being used" in the song "Dogs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigs_(Three_Different_Ones)

Lets make some mega bucks selling Tamiflu

ya baby
ok, i'm armed - I'm loaded with interferon, i'm loaded with Riba, and I'm loaded with Lysol.

My hands are washed consistantly, I won't touch my face, nor will I shake anyone's hands.
Administered intranasally in very low doses, interferon is used in Eastern Europe and Russia as a method to prevent and treat viral respiratory diseases such as cold and flu.

(However, most Western scientists are skeptical of any claims of good efficacy)

http://www.pathobiologics.org/ivphc/ref/iav121604.doc
I don't think it's alarmist to err on the side of caution.

Health authorities say a twenty-three month old child from Mexico died from the Swine Flu earlier today here in Texas.

As of today, Ft. Worth has closed 4 schools till at least May 11, Cleburne school district closed all schools.

All Texas Athletic and Academic competitions have been canceled until May eleventh.

And this added note in the report I'm quoting from:
"In the meantime, state health officials are working with local hospitals and they're urging everyone to remain calm."

Yeah, right!

Read with concentration:

The swine flu has hit America, as you've no doubt heard. It hit Reno this morning and soon will be in Las Vegas. I got a prescription for Tamiflu for me and my family. When people find out there's two drugs to kill this virus, they will swarm to every pharmacy. There will then be none available. Get on the band wagon NOW for you and the family before it's too late!

The drug you need to go to your doctor and request, is called Tamiflu (by Roche). You want the 75mg capsules. It comes in a prepared dosage box of 10. You take two a day for 5 days if you get the flu now. The Surgeon General this morning posted a warning that this is NOT the flu season, so if you get the flu, it will be swine flu!

Remember there's NOTHING else out there to kill this flu virus. If you don't take care of this, it could be fatal! Most times, it develops into pneumonia and death will soon follow. 159 people have already died in Mexico and one in Texas.

In Las Vegas, doctors are scrambling to find it for patients, as most drug stores are out. Walgreen's still has it. Check Walgreen's in your area before it's too late. Remember what Dr. Brenell said in "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers", "You're next, you're next, you're next!"
Don't delay on this or you will be left out without the available drug...

Magnum
Magnum: Most times (swine flu)  develops into pneumonia and death will soon follow.
------------
Swine flu is potentially very serious but at the present time this is absolutely nothing to substantiate that the current swine flu strain is any more deadly than normal influenza. Let's be careful about alarmist and false statements unless you have authoritative back up.

-- Jim
When healthy adults die of the flu, it is usually because it becomes pneumonia. It can develop about 5 days after the flu symptoms of fever, cough, and muscle aches start. There is swelling (inflammation) in the lungs, and the person has trouble breathing that gets worse and worse until they die. Taking antiviral medications within 48 hours of the flu symptoms starting can help reduce the symptoms but may not prevent the person from developing pneumonia.

http://rarediseases.about.com/b/2009/04/27/how-do-people-die-from-swine-flu.htm

Magum
I don't disagree with your last statement. The statement I took issue with was "Most times (swine flu)  develops into pneumonia and death will soon follow. ". Maybe you meant to say something else?
As I understand it the fatalities have been in Mexico with the exception of the little boy who died today in Texas.  He was a recent arrival from Mexico.  In the US, it appears that people are experiencing something much milder, at least right now they are.    

I believe that in Mexico the death rate is elevated because many poor people there have had little or no medical care, and many are coinfected with respiratory illnesses like TB.  Hygene is substandard in the poorer neighborhoods in Mexico and poor people who seldom see doctors are less likely to understand the hygenic practice necessary to prevent the spread of the flu.

Lets not panic.  
I guess it's fun to yell ""Fire!" in a crowded theater.

Most people in the U.S. have had mild cases of Mexican flu.

You are urging people who don't have the flu to create a critical shortage of Tamiflu for those who may need it. This is a sure way to help the flu spread faster and farther.
Greeting from the B forum....Hi Jim...long time...how's it going?

Yes, the swine flu is of concern but the media is making everyone overly concern.  All the pic shows people with masks and in hospital beds.  That's certainly not what I see around here.  I'm about 5 mins from the hotzone school in Queens, NYC.  Kids still playing outside, still going to work, still using mass transit, didn't see anyone wearing masks today.  A little common sense in precaution, like handwashing goes a long way.  Allergies are more of a problem than the swine flu because it seems like over 50% of co-workers has allergies and are suffering terribly, myself included.  Yes, I'm sure it's not the swine flu.  And no, I don't need to go to the ER.  Stay calm and hopefully this will pass.  
Hi Steve... good to hear from you and keep up all the good work on the Hep B forum!! And thanks for the street update in NYC where I assume a mask probably means more "hands up" then Flu down. Sorry couldn't resist :)

-- Jim
"People may find it difficult to stay home and forego wages when they may be sick or even when they are subject to quarantine," said Orentlicher. "It's important therefore to have provisions for job protection. It also can be important to have government programs to maintain people's income if they must stay home for an extended period and they don't have sick days or vacation time to fall back on."

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090429171015.htm

The sudden outbreak of this new instance of swine flu smacks of bio terrorism. Do you think this swine flu is a biological weapon?

My specialty in the U.S. Air Force was Nuclear, Biological and Chemical warfare (weapon) defense. Our enemies can take and engineer diseases and release them in unsuspecting populated areas to wreak death and destruction. While the United States works on developing smart bombs that are smaller and more precise and limit collateral damage it is an undeniable fact that those who would do us harm are seeking to develop and obtain weapons that kill as many people as quickly and as easily as possible.

And, in that endeavor, they are succeeding.

Suddenly, the H1N1 swine flu appears in both Mexico City and New York City (two of the most populated cities in the world), far from swine. This virus strain is reportedly unlike any other disease, and contains strains of human flu, bird/avian flu, and swine flu. It’s apparently spreading from human to human (the bird flu never achieved that, only from birds to human). It’s a lethal disease. There is no vaccine for this.

This is scary stuff and we need to pay attention to what happens next.

http://genomega1.wordpress.com/2009/04/26/swine-flu-terrorism-link/
In the U.S., an estimated 25–50 million cases of the flu are currently reported each year — leading to 150,000 hospitalizations and 30,000–40,000 deaths yearly. If these figures were to be estimated incorporating the rest of the world, there would be an average of approximately 1 billion cases of flu, around 3–5 million cases of severe illness, and 300,000–500,000 deaths annually.  http://www.flufacts.com/impact/statistics.aspx

And let's not forget about us

"These studies, when added together, suggest that over 200 million people around the world are infected with hepatitis C - an overall incidence of around 3.3% of the world's population. Statistically, as many people are infected with HCV as are with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Without large scale efforts to contain the spread of HCV and treat infected populations, the death rate from hepatitis C will surpass that of AIDS by the turn of the century and will only get worse."  http://www.epidemic.org/theFacts/theEpidemic/worldPrevalence/

I guess I just don’t get why I am supposed to be “Freaking Out” over Swine Flu. Wouldn’t it be nice to have just a fraction of the publicity? Also, shouldn’t most of us in the South have been killed by Killer Bees by now?
It's really nothing to panic over, it's definitely not a biological weapon.  I'm leaving this link again as it explains how ppl are spread viruses from the animal population.  I hope it works this time as my computer is on the fritz.

I saw that documentary about killer bees. Will never quite look at my bee friends the same way.  I'd rather die of Mexican flu.
Anyone who thinks this MAY NOT be bio-terrorism ...dont kid yourself....the terrorists are coming from the south as predicted
There is proof this virus is made in a lab...its engineered
Oh my.
I'd offer to loan you my copy of Stephen King's 'The Stand', but it sounds like you've got a copy open in front of you.
Anyway, weren't they coming from Toronto, not the south? :)
They're coming from Santa Mira and are hauling sea pods also...

Magnum
----------------------------
I think there may be some confusion with "wine" flu which made in Napa Valley.

Will this porker problem now allow the drug lords to do their "jobs" more effectly???

Distraction is a wonderful tool
Now they know how us poor heppers feel????
I live in North Texas and I'm VERY worried, I don't know if this means anything, but this morning I woke up and my hair was in pigtails!

No, really, I know that's corny and I'm not buying into this whole panic mode. Although I did put up a red stop swine in front of my house today.......ba dah bing ba dah booom!

Seriously though, the wine flu made in Napa Valley is actually preventitive medicine for the swine flu! Alcohol is used to kill germs so keeping a little red wine available to sanitize my hands and prevent disease heart diseases is a good thing........thanks!
Bug
Back when Jerry Ford was president the swine flu had it's last big outbreak..

Q)  Does anyone remember how the pig got on top of the Empire State Building?

A)  Why...... the swine flew.

snort snort snort.

I seriously remember having a friend tell me that it was only a matter of time that the avian flew would get to everybody.  It's true.

I am SO more worried about cooking my brain with a damned cell phone;

Can you hear me now??????

(Smell of fried eggs emanating from Willy's ears)

Willy
BUG: I live in North Texas and I'm VERY worried, I don't know if this means anything, but this morning I woke up and my hair was in pigtails!
-----------
This is getting more serious than I thought and hopefully your hairdresser will be able to give you a Tamiflu permanent, that is if the Magnum family hasn't cornered the entire market by then :)

-- Jim
Tamiflu permanent.... lmao

Needed that laugh, thanks
Going in this morning for another post eot pcr, and a little on edge.

apache
At least the Tamiflu permanent will smell like roast pork (mmm)  instead of rotten eggs.

Portann, I agree with you that people should not be running out and buying up Tamiflu UNLESS they actually have H1N1 flu.  It's much like the anthrax scare and people running out and buying up Cipro.

I do, however, wish that everyone would use some freaking common sense and stay the hell home from work when they are sick!  The bookkeeper at my office just showed up this morning sicker than a dog (vomiting, etc).  She distributed the mail to everyone, distributed the payroll checks to everyone and then went home --- AFTER she had contact with absolutely everyone.  
http://www.pennywellfarm.co.uk/download/pigs_at_pennywell_S.jpg

we are tired of being eaten by you humans
Tony is after them to make Bills death worthwhile and save the country from take over. "

It better be so apache it better be so! But in the meantime I can hardly look at evil Tony's evil face!

Anyway, all of the news casts here in NY (where it has been for a while) are saying it's a very communicable flu but not a very virulent flu and that is where we need to take notice. It's easy to get but not very dangerous. The people it would be most dangerous to are people who already have chronic lung conditions (COPD) and who are ALWAYS in danger of the flu developing into pneumonia and complications (such as my daughter).

Most of us would have the flu and recover. I took Tamiflu once when I was diagnosed with the flu and from whatI remember it just cuts the length of duration down but not the symptoms.  It's not going to keep you from getting the flu but it will make it last less time.

Seriously folks, they have closed some schools just to PREVENT it from spreading from kid to kid cause you know how kids are........but it is not The Stand nor Captain Trips - just wash your hands and don't touch your face and eyes and you will be fine!
Check out the photo I took this morning of me and some of my workers.
Well, I got quadruple prescriptions with three refills each. When the Swine Flu hits Las Vegas, I'm going to be rich!

Mag
Jim- Pigtails!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHA

Thats was as funny as funny can be to me.

I think  people that have HepC or have had it god made us funnier than the norm.
HAHAHAHAA
Thank you for the "Good Humor"

Charm:}}}}}
Nah, it ain't Captain Trips - not even close. It is a good dry run to test this country's preparedness, though. It'll also give the AMA a chance to identify docs who write quadruple Rxs with three refills and yank their 'script pads.
Magnum, I kinda think you're pulling our leg...at least I hope so.  :)

It's a personal opinion, of course, as to whether people go out and try to get Tamiflu without actual need but "in my opinion" it's wrong.  The reason I feel it's wrong is because there is a system at work here and stockpiling meds messes with the system.  It's a lot like triage...triage ***** BIG TIME for people with the wrong injuries at the wrong time.  Triage is deadly for some but it works for the masses in a crisis.

Tamiflu is being released to those that need it most first.  There are medical personnel that certainly need it before someone like me.  I could NEVER put myself before people who need it worse than me.  Most of us on this site will probably fit the criteria of needing it before most people who don't have a chronic disease, but I will wait patiently until I am told I need it and then I'll take my chances as to whether or not I can get it.  It feels too much like cutting in a waiting line...I don't cut.
I agree totally.  And  as for us being safer from this thing because we are on riba/inf tx. that is just not true. Specific viruses have specific meds.  HIV HEP C and herpes all have different antiviral meds. Anyone have any ideas about this?
Agatha56, I think we all are to simply follow the general guidelines given by the CDC on how to avoid the flu...washing, avoiding sick people, etc.  

However, if we get sick, it's up to our medical care providers to treat us within the CDCs guidelines for the immunosuppressed (those on Hep C treatment) or within the CDC's guidelines for those with a chronic illness.

I, too, do not believe that riba/inf tx gives us any edge against the flu so I'm not going to count on it...I'm going to do the common sense things and I am going to avoid crowds and confined areas because I am immunosuppressed.  That's not really doing anything different that I have already been doing since I started treatment.
Sounds like a plan. Common sense can go a long way here.
The reason we are short on Tamiflu in California is because there are signs in Mexico saying "Tamiflu - North  ->  ->

I think we should start taping our windows with pig tape as opposed to duck tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bhRIbXjJ5g&feature=popular
It's just the flu folks. It's not the bubonic plague. Every year thousands die from the flu right here in the US. Last year the number of deaths was 36,000. If they reported every death on the news and in the papers for a normal flu season people would be panicking worse than this. This virus does not display any more virulence than most influenza viruses that hit the US every year. Mexicans may have a harder time with it if it mutated there, and conversely the US may have overall milder cases. I don't understand the masks. Why all of the precautions for this bug and not every year for the 'regular strains of influenza ? Because of the alarmism of the gov't ( " never let a good crisis go to waste" ) and media hype. It's as simple as that.
ML
The last swine pandemic to hit the in 1918 killed 500,000 million....thats 1/2 billion....there maybe cause for  some concern...dont you think?
1918 flu pandemic
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Two American Red Cross nurses demonstrate treatment practices during the influenza pandemic of 1918.The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify the geographic origin of the virus.[1] Most of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients. The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920,[2] spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 20 to 100 million people were killed worldwide,[3] or the approximate equivalent of one third of the population of Europe,[4][5][6] more than double the number killed in World War I.[7] This extraordinary toll resulted from the extremely high illness rate of up to 50% and the extreme severity of the symptoms, suspected to be caused by cytokine storms. The pandemic is estimated to have affected up to one billion people: more than half the world's population at the time.[8]

Scientists have used tissue samples from frozen victims to reproduce the virus for study. Given the strain's extreme virulence there has been controversy regarding the wisdom of such research. Among the conclusions of this research is that the virus kills via a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system) which explains its unusually severe nature and the concentrated age profile of its victims. The strong immune systems of young adults ravaged the body, whereas the weaker immune systems of children and middle-aged adults caused fewer deaths.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1918_flu_pandemic
The 1918 pandemic was Spanish flu.  Medical care has come a long way since then.  Try to relax, just wash your hands a lot and don't touch your face any more than you have to.  You will be ok.
It was swine

The 1918 Swine Flu outbreak

The 1918 Swine Flu outbreak was exceptionally severe, and affected approximately one-third of the world's population, which amounted to about five-hundred million people at the time. The rate of death associated with this outbreak of SIV was estimated to be between fifty-million and one-hundred million people.
H1N1 IS SWINE
You are being an alarmist. Stop it. Now.

For someone who is so concerned with nutrition and proper eating has it occurred to you that people might have been able to eat all that well and had compromised immune systems (and health) at the end of the Great War (WWI)? They also didn't have the ways of sharing information from medical community to medical community that we do now. There have been a ton of advancements and this is a different world than it was then.

Being an alarmist only compromises your own immune system, eh? So chill. It's May Day. Go and smell some flowers.
http://www.disabled-world.com/health/influenza/swine-flu/cases-statistics.php
This thread has been most revealing to expose the fear mongers of this forum.  thx jmjm
http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=225919&title=snoutbreak-09-what-to-call
hahahahahahahahaha!!!
I love John Stewart - he ALWAYS makes me laugh.  Thanks for sharing.
There are many different strains of flu within the subtype H1N1. The 'swine flu'  which is in the news actually started out as an avian flu,  and is not the same strain as the Spanish flu of WWI.
ML
Thank you for that video. It was SO good. Warm fuzzy to you.

Speaking of pigs, though, the sad fact is that it's not only Rocker who is panicked. Have a look at what the GOVERNMENT of Egypt decided, which the Egyptian Coptic leadership endorsed:

Egypt's call to kill pigs amid flu scare ridiculed

By TAREK EL-TABLAWY, AP Business Writer Tarek El-tablawy, Ap Business Writer
Fri May 1, 3:27 am ET

CAIRO – Egypt's government was hoping to look strong and proactive in the swine flu scare with its decision to slaughter all the country's pigs, after taking heavy criticism at home for poor planning and corruption in past crises.

But instead, some Egyptians called the move a knee-jerk overreaction that even the World Health Organization said was unnecessary.

Egypt, which has no swine flu cases, is the only country in the world to order a mass pig slaughter in response to the disease. The move mirrored Egypt's battle with bird flu, in which the government killed 25 million birds within weeks in 2006.

But international health officials said the swine flu virus that has caused worldwide fear is not transmitted by pigs, and that pig slaughters do nothing to stop its spread. The WHO on Thursday stopped using the term "swine flu" to avoid confusion.

In Egypt, even the editor of a pro-government newspaper criticized the order to slaughter the estimated 300,000 pigs, which was pushed by parliament and issued by the government.

"Killing (pigs) is not a solution, otherwise, we should kill the people, because the virus spreads through them," wrote Abdullah Kamal of the daily Rose El-Youssef. "The terrified members of parliament should have concentrated on asking the government first about the preventive measures and ways of confronting the problem."

The Egyptian government has come under criticism in past years for being caught flat-footed by crises.

A rockslide that crushed a Cairo neighborhood and killed at least 100, and a series of fires — including one that burned down the upper house of parliament — highlighted how ill-prepared emergency services are. A 2005 ferry sinking that killed 1,000 raised an uproar over poor safety conditions.

Many accused the government of not taking precautions when bird flu first appeared in Asia in 2003. When the first case appeared in Egypt in 2006, the government carried out mass bird culls, but the disease has killed more than two dozen people since.

With the new flu scare, the government "took a precautionary step because they were afraid there would be a case here, and then they would face questions about why they didn't take this step," said Nader Noureddin, an agricultural resources expert at Cario University's Agricultural College.

The government likely felt confident slaughtering pigs would not spark any public backlash in predominantly Muslim Egypt, where the majority of the population does not eat pork. Pig raising and consumption is limited to the country's Christian minority, estimated at 10 percent of the population.

Still, the opposition Muslim Brotherhood was critical of the slaughter on the grounds it was not thought out.

"The problem is that the government here deals with things in emotional ways," said Essam el-Erian, a top Brotherhood leader. "It acts with the memory of what happened during the bird flu crisis."

Coptic Christian leaders — including the pope — condoned the slaughter, and two Coptic lawmakers were among the most vocal supporters.

But pig farmers — overwhelmingly Christian — were angered. Government efforts to start the slaughter Wednesday were met with farmers who hurled stones at Health Ministry trucks.

"This is the livelihood of a segment of the people," said Youssef Sidhom, an editor of the Al-Watani newspaper and prominent Coptic figure. "You can't just do something on the national level and ignore a segment of the population."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090501/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_egypt_scapegoating_pigs/print
Just by posting some info on disease makes me no bad guy alarmist...
Just returned to Mexico from a business trip in Vegas on an empty plane how sad is that check this out http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-rumsfeld-makes-5m-killing-on-bird-flu-drug-469599.html   meanwhile Mexico's tourist trade has been sabatoged by yet another media hype wonder who started this BS  Yes all the schools are closed here and as everywhere else all the kids are out playing and having a vacation what next
Hers my therory..Govts start the diseaeswith big pharma ,to make megabucks by selling the "Cure" to the blind public sheep...but herers the beauty...they set up the to make it look like its a terrorist action...just like 911....it was all set up

FREE SPEACH IN MINE
Guess what the swine vaccine is made from?....pigs
TAMIFLU is exracted from spice Chinese star anise, so due to the demand for Tamiflu, Roche has had to buy up 90% of the worlds supply of spice

Its not made from the pig..as most vaccines are made from the "killer source"

http://www.3dchem.com/molecules.asp?ID=220
Pigs in a farm in Alberta Canada  are infected with the H1N1 virus....the guy just got back from Mexico and he infected his whole farm
This may be the first time this particular swine flu virus has been found in pigs.

http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090502/090502_mexico/20090502/?hub=CP24Home
I found this interesting

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx
Thanks for the link.

From the above article:

"More than half a dozen pharmaceutical companies, including Gilead Sciences Inc., Roche, GlaxoSmithKline and other companies with a stake in flu treatments and detection, have seen a rise in their shares in a matter of days, and will likely see revenue boosts if the swine flu outbreak continues to spread.
Swine flue is extremely convenient for governments that would have very soon have to dispose of billions of dollars of Tamiflu stock, which they bought to counter avian flu, or H5N1.  The US government ordered 20 million doses, costing $2 billion, in October, 2005, and around that time the UK government ordered 14.6 million doses.  Tamiflu’s manufacturer, Roche, has confirmed that the shelf life of its anti-viral is three years.

As soon as Homeland Security declared a health emergency, 25 percent -- about 12 million doses -- of Tamiflu and Relenza treatment courses were released from the nation's stockpile. However, beware that the declaration also allows unapproved tests and drugs to be administered to children. Many health- and government officials are more than willing to take that chance with your life, and the life of your child. But are you? "

Tamiflu Loaded With Side Effects, Including Death and Can Only Reduce Symptoms by 36 Hours at BEST

Please realize that Tamiflu is NOT a safe drug  Serious side effects include convulsions, delirium or delusions, and 14 deaths in children and teens as a result of neuropsychiatric problems and brain infections  Japan actually banned Tamiflu for children in 2007.

Remember, Tamiflu went through some rough times not too long ago, as the dangers of this drug came to light when, in 2007, the FDA finally began investigating some 1,800 adverse event reports related to the drug.

Additionally common side effects of Tamiflu include:

Nausea
Vomiting
Diarrhea
Headache
Dizziness
Fatigue
Cough
All in all, the very symptoms you're trying to avoid.

Additionally, Tamiflu has been reported to be ineffective against seasonal flu outbreaks, and may not be sufficient to combat an epidemic or pandemic.

But making matters worse, some patients with influenza are at HIGHER risk for secondary bacterial infections when on Tamiflu. And secondary bacterial infections, as I mentioned earlier, was likely the REAL cause of the mass fatalities during the 1918 pandemic!

But here’s the real kicker.

When Tamiflu is used as directed (twice daily for 5 days) it can ONLY reduce the duration of your influenza symptoms by 1 to 1 ½ days, according to the official data.

Why on earth would anyone want to take a drug that has a chance of killing you, was banned in Japan, is loaded with side effects that mimic the flu itself, costs over $100, and AT BEST can only provide 36 hours of SYMPTOM relief.  Just doesn't make any sense.

Its proven the vaccines in 1918 killed more people taht the H1N1 itself
How many stories have you read that bother to tell you Tamiflu is made from the star anise herb that's been used for over 5,000 years in Traditional Chinese Medicine? Virtually none. The powers that be don't want anybody to know they could actually grow their own medicine in a garden or a windowsill. If you can grow cilantro, you can grow medicine. If everybody figured that out, Big Pharma wouldn't be reaping the enormous profits it's making right now from Tamiflu sales, and the governments of the world wouldn't be able to scare and control people by promising to distribute Tamiflu (but only if you behave).

http://www.naturalnews.com/026185.html