Hepatitis C Community
Ultra high Eos count.....what does it mean?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

My latest Eos, absoute count is 1.2.  Total Eos is 27, which is off the board.  The doctor has no idea what this is, and has never seen it.  I am at week 31, Hep 1b.  My GP has no idea, and neither does the oncologist.  Anyone have a guess?????
I'm no doctor and don't really understand exactly what eosinophils are, but I recently had a jump in mine too. I'm enrolled in a drug trial and had a bad allergy to the drug causing a really nasty rash. When that happened my eosinophils jumped up to like 600(?), if memory serves (don't have labwork handy). My neutrophils also jumped from 620 up to 4000+. My doctor said the elevated eosinophils were a sign my body was experiencing an allergic reaction. Have you had some kind of allergy or immune reaction to something recently?
I am assuming that by eos you mean eosinophils.
I use Quest Diagnostics and their normal values are as follows:
EOSINOPHILS, ABSOLUTE       CELLS/MCL    15-500
EOSINOPHILS, %                  %        0-8

Here is a link to MH Gastroenterology wher the question about EOS and HCV was answered briefly.
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/gastro/archive/4316.html

Mike
Thanks.  Eosinophils react to allergins or other cells in the body that do not belong there.  Hodgkins disease, chronic myeloid lukemia, and acute lukema were the diseases listed.  There are also others, buut my fear scale now is off the charts.  I have not had an allergic reaction to anything.  I guess now I find anothe4r doctor to see what else I have besides HepC.  I am sooooooo scared,
I wouldn't get too freaked out. You are well into treatment, so I would guess that's the most likely direct/indirect cause for the elevation (and not cancer or something more ominous). Obviously you should have it thoroughly checked out, but I certainly wouldn't panic by assuming the worst. Also, thought I'd tell you that my ALT/AST jumped up during my allergy too (along with my neutrophils). If yours did something similar, it might also be indicative of some kind of allergy. I've learned that some allergies come on only after a fairly prolonged period of exposure time. I didn't react to the test drug I was taking until after taking it for nearly two months. There's no way for me to know, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility that you might be developing a sensitivity to one of the drugs you're taking. Just a guess, but it did happen to me and also PDS here.

Good luck getting it sorted out, take care.
I really must be missing something because your values look well within range to me. What is the normal range on your labs? Does anyone see this or am I just confused more than usual? Mike
She may not be including the 10^3 (i.e. x1000) part when she says "1.2". At least that's what's on my labs...
That must be it. I have had a lot of different labs over the years and mine haven't been expressed like that. Mike
I would think the 27 would be the percent of total white cells and the 1.2 could be read as 1200 absolute EOS for your ranges, so the EOS are definitely off the chart (based on ranges posted by Mike).  I don't know what this means (other than reading Scott's link) but it does seem to be allergy related.

I am with you Nikki -- if your doc doesn't have a clue, get another one -- I would recommend a hemotologist (blood specialist)
Eosinophils can indeed rise with allergies, rashes, itching (anything that kicks in your immune response to defend against it).  Mine were elevated right before I was diagnosed Hep C, and I had awful rashes (they didn't rise real high, but they were up), but they returned to normal when the rashes cleared up with treatment.
You're right.  They are really high.  My lab's ranges for eos are 00. - .57, as a percentage, and 0.0 - 6.8 as a whole #.  My eos recently went up to 14.4, which isn't anywhere near as high as yours at 27.  My increase was due to an allergic reaction to the treatment meds/vertex that mremeet mentioned.

Get another opinion and try not to freak out about it.  My hepatologist didn't even bat an eye at mine at 14.4 because he knew I'd been having an allergic reaction.  If you weren't on treatment I'd be more alarmed, but as mremeet said, more than likely it's something to do with the drugs as opposed to some new ailment.

I wish you the best with it.  Let us know.

Thanks, Char
not sure what medical test term for MPV MEANs

my eos% count is 13.1 and my WBC count is in normal range

my eos# is 0.8---reference range prefered is--0.0-0.7

think its a reation i got from trying the suppliment cholest-off

and I a bad head cold/sore throat when i went for the blood

work

work

I have a 16 year old son who has been suffering from facial flushing. At times it turns purple. Have ruled out rosicia. Recently he has gone on zoloft for anxiety related to embarrasment from it. It has help alot. But still getting flushing. Got blood work had high glucose 101, alt was 48 and eosinophils was at 645. Dr dosent seemed alarmed. He has asthma and had exzema (eczema) as a child. HELP!!!! Can you offer test sugestions? Can this be related to food alergies (allergies) if so what foods should i start eliminating? Already has peanut, fish and fresh fruit alergy (allergy). Could it be the growth hormone in milk?
have not forgotten you  both.
in memorial to you...you have not been forgotten.
your kindness and help to other people was huge., and did not go unnoticed.
wished I knew you more.
pitter
my daughter was just diagnosed with HES Hyper eossinohilic syndrome
they did a biopsy of her gi track because of pain and she has many of
these eosin cells. they ruled out allergy and they ruled out parasites she
has not been treated yet im very upset and worried can someone explain
this condition to me .