Hepatitis C Community
Unprotected Sex

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Unprotected Sex

Today I went for my monthly checkup and I will know in one week the results of the RNA viral load test results. I asked the doctor regarding unprotected sex and he said that although it is rare to get Hep C through unprotected sex, it is possible. On the Pegasys clinical trial I'm on, unprotected sex is not allowed. Aw gosh...

Anyway, my AST & ALT are both again near the 200 mark and the doctor said not to worry about it at all because it goes up and down and it will soon be down again and eventually normal. His assistant called the numbers a "little" high.

He also made a very interesting remark regarding my lower back pain which is definitely and without a doubt amplified 75% by the treatment. He said "don't complain too much or we'll have to take you off the treatment". So, I guess the pain management doctor will most likely give me the Epidural shot if I want it.

The back specialist said that they usually give you a series of three shots but...if the second one does not get rid of the pain yet, to not bother taking the third one because it will not do any good. Something to keep in mind.

As for treatment, tonight is my third month's worth of shots. If anyone has reflux or bad stomach acid problems which are usually brought on by the Ribavirin, Aciphex has done miracles for me. I take one 20 mg. pill with every dose of Ribavirin. Miraculous!

Magnum