Hepatitis C Community
Update with my Liver doc

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Update with my Liver doc

I saw my liver doc earlier today.
She took over for my old liver doc who retired. She isn't up-to-date on all the new treatments like my old doc was. She said there are a bunch of new ones she needs to familiarize herself with. I told her I wasn't interested in a treatment with interferon or Ribavirin.
My liver is Stage 1 for fibrosis and Grade 2. But she told me with my continued healthful lifestyle, I don't really have anything to worry about. She said my news is all good.
What does the Grade 2 mean?
I have another follow-up visit in 3 months.
That's all for now:-)
Joycie

Tags: update
Hi joycie:

The stage is the amount of liver damage (fibrosis) you have and the "grade or" activity" is considered the amount of  "inflammation going on .
Most labs are using the "metavir scale for ascertaining this(below)

Stage 1 is considered very mild fibrosis .

Best to you and welcome to the group...

Will

What Does My METAVIR Score Mean?
The fibrosis is graded on a 5-point scale from 0 to 4. The activity, which is the amount of inflammation (specifically, the intensity of necro-inflammatory lesions), is graded on a 4-point scale from A0 to A3.
Fibrosis score:
F0 = no fibrosis
F1 = portal fibrosis without septa
F2 = portal fibrosis with few septa
F3 = numerous septa without cirrhosis
F4 = cirrhosis

Activity score:
A0 = no activity
A1 = mild activity
A2 = moderate activity
A3 = severe activity

Thanks for your input. I'm still not sure what the activity level means; just that its a "2". What would I need to do to reduce the activity level from 2 to 1.
Anyway....She told me not to worry and to keep doing what I'm doing/what I'm not doing to keep my liver happy. No alcohol; Tylenol or Vitamin A.
She told me that there are a lot of new treatments in the pipeline; that it won't hurt me to wait, especially a non-interferon, non ribavirin treatment
The Grade or Activity Level, is the amount of inflammation in your liver (specifically, the intensity of necro-inflammatory lesions).