Hepatitis C Community
Upper right quadrant ultrasound

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Upper right quadrant ultrasound

Hey everyone- We just got the results from my hubby's URQ ultrasound and need somebody to explain what they mean. The nurse said the liver and gallbladder look normal except for a small amount of infiltration (on the liver I imagine). Is this good? I hope so! Of course the pleural fluid is still there but that's a subject for another forum...sigh. Anybody who knows what this small amount of infiltration means, please let me know. Thanks.
-Dee
I would speak to the doctor and ask him to clarify but often the term is used when referring to fatty infiltration in the liver. The ultrasound is able to "see" fatty deposits in the liver but it can't "see" fibrosis. It is useful for judging the amount of fatty infiltration. It also checks for tumors, lesions and masses and it looks like he is fine in that regard!
To reduce fatty liver infiltration is to eat a very healthy diet, no alcohol as alcohol also increases fatty liver and lose weight and exercise.
Thanks for your answer. I was never quite sure what ultrasounds could see as far as the liver- I'm relieved to hear that any tumors, etc would've shown up- one less thing to worry about! I'm so grateful to all of you at this forum- reading your posts has given me the courage to finally go ahead and get my hubby & I the tests we need to see what shape our livers are in. And for my husband at least, it looks like his liver is in much better shape than I could've hoped for. I'll keep you posted on my results as they come in. Thanks again for your reply- hope you're having a good day. -Dee