Hepatitis C Community
Vaccination for Hep B failed

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Vaccination for Hep B failed

I have Hep C and am currently getting treated.  A number of years ago, I got vaccinated for Hep A & Hep B - I got all the vaccinations according to schedule.  I recently asked my doctor to confirm my antibodies, and the results came back only for Hep A.  The Hep B did not take.  Is this unusual?  I will want to repeat the Hep B vaccinations, and am wondering if there is anything I can do to make sure that it will work this time?  Thanks.  Ginger B
The first time I was vaccinated for hep. B it failed. I had to do it again. The main thing is the timing. It cannot be too late or too early. Ask your doctor. I didn't need the hep. A vaccination because I had the illness in 1963 from Mexico.

Adie
I'm did 3 rounds of trying to the Hep b vac. to work. None took, but they said it didn't have anything to do with my Hep C. Some are called rejecters, then I became very worried because I work in the Health field and I do care for some Hep B patients. My Hep C nurse said if I become exposed to Hep B the vaccine should kick in. But not taking any chances anyway so I no long take care of our residents who are Hep B positive. My choice and work was fine with that. But ask anyway what will happen if you are exposed, I would be interested in there answer also.
Markev
It is posible to repeat the vaccination program. The rate of success i was told could depent on your age.

You may want to seek a professional advice from your GP.

Good luck
Of the adults who get the Hepatitis B virus, 95 per cent clear the virus and do not go on to have the chronic form of the disease. Some people have few symptoms or none at all, so may not realise they have HBV or that they have had it. Many adults will clear the virus completely within 6 months. The good news is that the protective antibodies produced fighting the infection means that people who have had it will never have to worry about HBV again as they will be immune.
So there is the posibility of clearing the virus in the acute stages when infected.

You wouldn't want to play Russian Roulet with your health and life, so seek advice from your GP to protect yourself.

Is it accepted to work as a nurse as a chronic HBV carrier? I've long been seeking an answer to this. You may be of help since, your are in the health sector.
Take of yourself,
Chao.
Thanks all.  I was sorry to hear that my hep b vaccination didn't work, but at least I now know.  GB
Mine failed once or twice. Then the doc gave me a double-dose. I think it took this time based on the lab report but haven't gone over it with the doc yet.
It is possible to be a non-responder to the vaccine but try again. As you've read it can take a few tries.