Varices
Medical team wants me to schedule for a scope to check for varices. My original biopsy showed some bridging fibrosis and they are saying they treat all cases like mine as if cirrhosis is possible. I am week 37 of 48, 1A undectable at 12 weeks. What does anyone think about having an invasive test just to check for varices? I am under the impression there isn't anything other than watchful waiting even if they are seen. I am leading towards not having the test at this time and only going for a week 48 ultrasound since my only ultrasound was at biopsy. Thanks for any info and all other info in the past.
I had this done but it was part of the procedures,,,Before starting tx..   Why is your dr choosing to do this now in middle of your tx.  Honestly though,,,It should be ok because they give you something before doing this to relax you...kinda like twilight sleep and just put a mini camera in your stomach to check so I don't think in anyway this would be harmful to you while on tx.  Now,,,I never had biopsy and was told to wait on that one because could be problem while I'm treating...
Thanks for the quick response. They are actually scheduling for right after I finish treatment. I guess I should be happy they are so vigilant, since it is a large teaching medical center with world renowned Hepatologists. Am I correct in my thinking that there really isn't any "treatment" if varices are found? Thanks again.
I'm hoping someone with more experience on having varices or knowing more about it will answer your question here but I'm to the understanding that you would still need tx to get rid of the virus which is doing damage more each day to your liver.  Also there is procedures they can do for varices if bad and monitor that.
If varices are bulging, they can be banded, essentially removing them.  If they are visible but flat, they should continue to be monitored.  This according to my doc.  I had a relatively minor bleed last fall, had 3 varices banded, and now get checked every 6 months.  If an anesthesiologist is present, you will probably get a drug that will put you out, but which is short-acting and when you awake you will feel pretty good, not sick.  If no anesthesiologist, you'll probably get the demerol/valium blend.

While I'm surprised it was not done prior to tx, it makes sense to have the test if there is fibrosis/cirrhosis.  I had had it done 2 years before my bleed, was clear, then blew off follow-ups, which of course was a mistake, as it is better to prevent a bleed than to have one, as they can be fatal.  I was very lucky.  So my definitely biased advice is to endure a day of some discomfort and have the test.

And congratulations on your successful tx!

dA
Hi Petey
If they find large varices, they might "band" them (to try to prevent them from bursting later). They also consider putting you on a prescription beta-blocker (to reduce blood pressure and heart rate).

Here's some things that you might already know:
Varices are caused by portal hypertension.
Usually the first thing portal hypertension does is enlarge the spleen.

An ultrasound would show whether your spleen is enlarged.(If they see that your spleen is enlarged--- You should definitely get the endoscopy done)
My husband has had banding 3 times in the last 18 months & it is all done pretty fast and he was out cold. He's had a few done each time. He takes Nadolol to help prevent them. The thought of doing this in an emergency scares me.....I like that it is done as out patient by someone who spec. in doing it. Good Luck to you! Worried Spouse
My Father dies from bleeding varicies. They had put an NG tube down his throat for something else but that opened some of them and he started to bleed VERY baldy. He was dead in 2 days. It was many years ago, but I they still scare the hell outa me.
They are not something to be ignored. If there is ANY possibility that you may have them, let the specialists check them out. AFTER tx.
Just my 2 cents..............
Hi, and I apologize for breaking in. But honey I had to tell you about the candle I have lite beside me. It's called a SANCTUARY candle. As it burns down it has sayings on it, that you can read really good when it burnes down.

First saying....Go to the place where you are accepted

Second saying....Hear the gentle chant in your mind

Third saying..Make every day sacred and safe as you create your own sanctuary

I thought this was so inspriational and I just felt the need to share this with you and everybody. I hope your hubby is doing well.

EVERYBODY! Hi And I hope you all have a wonderful******FOURTH OF JULY*******!!!!!
Be safe and have little to no side effects EVERYONE!!!!!!! many Prayers and Much Love, Cindee
Thank you all for the replies. Hope everyone is feeling well this weekend and able to enjoy the holiday.
Cindee,,,Love the Sanctuary Candle!!  That is soooo cool!! I read in your other posts about the girls night and seemed like so much fun!  Guess I'll never be too old for slumber parties and having fun and laughing!!

Sounds like we could all have a great 4th by just hooking it to Indiana and taking our lawn chairs on Indy's property and letting him enertain us by starting a fire,,,blowing up a tree etc lolololol  

And then afterwards,,,I would love to drive over to Chev's nice peaceful place and just sit on porch and have some lemonade! Sounds like a very nice place you have,,Chev!  

Hey,,,Everyone Have a great 4th!!
Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You KNOW you'll always be "our" Sexy Chevy!!!! I don't think you ever go too far....and I bet ya SAM HALL...wishes you would!!!!! LOL....no...(kidding aside), you keep us laughing and I think Laughter is one of the BEST MEDICINES!!!!!! So keep it up! no pun intended!!!!!! LOL Love ya gal...(((((HUGS)))))) and everybody here too! Love and prayers to all, Cindee
i sure would like chevy to keep it up figureitively only of course . but if you really believe that, I ve got some waterfront land for sale; you know when the tide goes out and we are watching the submarine races .Have a real good 4TH you guys.. you know happy trails and all the flashbacks you can handle.... LOVE to all... Daryl