Has anyone ever had this happen while on tx? I started tx 9 months ago, vl was steady decline. I started at 636,000 (type 1a). At month 7 it was 2. It 8th month went back up to 245. Now dr says I havve to do another year!!!!! any advice?
Immediately get re-tested to make sure it's not a false positive. Many will not consider this a viral breakthrough unless you have two consecutive positives within a few days of each other. In addition -- but not instead of -- ask your doctor to have the lab re-run the test using the same blood sample. Often they keep some extra blood for a week or so.
You only mention two tests -- month 7 and month 8. What about earlier viral load tests? Were you tested at weeks 4, 12, 24, etc? If so, what were the values and exactly what viral load tests are you using? Also, do you know what stage liver damage you are?
Also, when you say your viral load at month 7 was "2" -- I assume you mean you were non-detectible at month 7 using a test that has a sensitivity of 2 IU/ml. The only one I'm aware of that sensitive are two tests by LabCorp. Are you using LabCorp and do you know the name of the test you took.
Yes, but for me it was a breakthrough in the millions. It has been observed that there can be variations in VL measurements. I was told that the best time to have a PCR draw is just prior to your next injection (i.e. day of or day before) and try to keep each draw consistent (i.e. same day, same time) as possible throughout tx.
Yes, at first, when I went from 1.8 million to 2.4 million, I was allowed to continue until I had returned to full dose of the meds, then I was given 12 wks on full dose. After 12 wks, when I went from 2.4 million to 4.4 million, I was pulled from tx since VL was continuing to climb. I believe that being at 100,000 U of Procrit a wk to fight the anemia also played into the decision.
Because of the VL breakthrough and the high dosage of rescue meds there is no further option, other than transplantation, currently available until new meds arrive.
We discussed this with you about a week ago right?
The 615 test?
Now the doctor says you have to do another year.
You are in month 9.
Please confirm that the doctor means that you simply continue for another year.
You need to have another sensitive pcr in about a week.
If that is positive to any degree there is no point in just ploughing on.
Omce breakthrough has occurred the virus is back in control of the game.It has developed a resistance to the therapy,and longer therapy will probably not ,in my opinion ,bring you an SVR.
At the very least you should change interferons.
Are you taking Pegasys?
You should condider switching to Pegintron which has a slightly different action and hits harder.The dose is variable too, and perhaps four weeks of .05ml could get you where you want to be.
You can discuss my suggestion with your doctor-but don't tell him it came from an internet chat board or he won't take you seriously.
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.