Hepatitis C Community
Viral-Breakthrough

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Viral-Breakthrough

Has anyone ever had this happen while on tx? I started tx 9 months ago, vl was steady decline. I started at 636,000 (type 1a). At month 7 it was 2. It 8th month went back up to 245. Now dr says I havve to do another year!!!!! any advice?
Immediately get re-tested to make sure it's not a false positive. Many will not consider this a viral breakthrough unless you have two consecutive positives within a few days of each other. In addition -- but not instead of -- ask your doctor to have the lab re-run the test using the same blood sample. Often they keep some extra blood for a week or so.

You only mention two tests -- month 7 and month 8. What about earlier viral load tests? Were you tested at weeks 4, 12, 24, etc? If so, what were the values and exactly what viral load tests are you using? Also, do you know what stage liver damage you are?

-- Jim
Also, when you say your viral load at month 7 was "2" -- I assume you mean you were non-detectible at month 7 using a test that has a sensitivity of 2 IU/ml. The only one I'm aware of that sensitive are two tests by LabCorp. Are you using LabCorp and do you know the name of the test you took.
Yes, but for me it was a breakthrough in the millions.  It has been observed that there can be variations in VL measurements.  I was told that the best time to have a PCR draw is just prior to your next injection (i.e. day of or day before) and try to keep each draw consistent (i.e. same day, same time) as possible throughout tx.
Yes, at first, when I went from 1.8 million to 2.4 million, I was allowed to continue until I had returned to full dose of the meds, then I was given 12 wks on full dose.  After 12 wks, when I went from 2.4 million to 4.4 million, I was pulled from tx since VL was continuing to climb.  I believe that being at 100,000 U of Procrit a wk to fight the anemia also played into the decision.

Because of the VL breakthrough and the high dosage of rescue meds there is no further option, other than transplantation, currently available until new meds arrive.
Was your breakthrough while you were on tx? if so what did the doctor say you should do?
We discussed this with you about a week ago right?
The 615 test?
Now the doctor says you have to do another year.
You are in month 9.
Please confirm that the doctor means that you simply continue for another year.
You need to have another sensitive pcr in about a week.
If that is positive to any degree there is no point in just ploughing on.
Omce breakthrough has occurred the virus is back in control of the game.It has developed a resistance to the therapy,and longer therapy will probably not ,in my opinion ,bring you an SVR.
At the very least you should change interferons.
Are you taking Pegasys?
You should condider switching to Pegintron which has a slightly different action and hits harder.The dose is variable too, and perhaps four weeks of .05ml could get you where you want to be.
You can discuss my suggestion with your doctor-but don't tell him it came from an internet chat board or he won't take you seriously.
I'm sorry you got these results.  If I was you - before I had a giant panic attack, I'd get retested to make SURE those damn cooties were floating about or NOT.