Hepatitis C Community
Viral Load Count

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Viral Load Count

I am Genotype 1A and my viral count has increased from 1,000,000 to 6,000,000.  Is 6,000,000 considered a high count and cause for treatment?
I know it is hard but dont get hung up on viral load #'s.This is of no concern unless using to gauge how treatment is working. The viral count will fluctuate all the time. The viral load is no indication of fibrosis and liver damage.

Hope this helps

Best of luck
Technically, any viral load in excess of 400,000 IU/mL is considered a high viral load; actually, 6,000,000 is fairly average. The thing is, viral load is largely unimportant when managing HCV, and is most important when treatment has commenced. It’s then used as a gauge to treatment response.

The decision to undergo antiviral therapy is determined by liver histology; a biopsy sample is taken and if significant fibrosis (scarring) is present, it’s then best to begin treatment.

How long have you had HCV? Have you had a biopsy, and have you had treatment in the past?

Bill
My viral load before I started tx was 6,312,000, then after 2 weeks of tx it was down to 120,000 and two weeks later it is down to 2,000. But as mentioned above, that wasn't what made me decide to do treatment. I was already having symptoms like fatigue (though not as bad as tx fatigue) brain fog, nausea, and achy joints My biopsy results came back stage 2 grade 2 which put me in the middle of the damage range, and I'm 55 which puts me on the downhill side of achieving SVR. I felt that every day I waited, the bigger chance there was of not reaching SVR, and I still have an 11 and a 13 year old at home who need their mom to be up to the challenge of 2 teenagers.

I'm a 1a too, by the way. If your biopsy comes back showing not too much damage so far, you may choose to wait for the new meds that will increase your chance of SVR.
does a high viral load usually indicate poor response to treatment? I know diane12855's number look really good but this is probably not the norm. I have just begun a 48 week trial with boceprevir. My starting viral load is a little over 6 million 2 weeks ago. they drew blood yesterday, but I won't know the current viral load for a little while. the boceprevir doesn't start  until 4 weeks after treatment with riba and interferon only, then all three for 44 more weeks if you attain svr at 12 weeks. If still detectable at  12 weeks you are out of the study.
no, high viral load does not always indicate poor response to treatment. There are people that don't respond with minimal VL's while some people with high VL's clear easily.

There is just nothing definite with this disease. It is different for every person.
Thanks for responding. I guess ill know soon enough.
I have a feeling that you will be very happy when you get the results after starting the Bocep :-)

The PI's do work and kill the dragon quick!

Best of luck
I am currently taking 3 medicines in hopes to rid myself of this disease.
Ms. fearful