Hepatitis C Community
Viral load

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Viral load

My viral load is 14500 is it true that if you have a low viral load you have a better. Chance of svr on treatment? I took my second shot yesterday and am on day 9 of treatment in a few days ill get bloodwork don't to see how everything is going! I hope things are good I haven't had one single side effect so far I hope that doesn't mean things aren't working I know they can come any time so I'm grateful that its still so far so good
Everything sounds just great re: no side effects.   You know what they say about that gift horse...  We probably need more info on you, have you had a liver biopsy, your genotype (1,2,3) etc.  VL isn't the best indicator of success, but it certainly doesn't hurt to start out so low.  Wishing you the best.
What stage of fibrosis are you? The VA site points out viral load does not reflect the amount of liver damage but it does say your chances may be better

The VA site has this:

Q: What does high/low viral load mean?

Viral load is the amount of virus present in the bloodstream. It is expressed as the amount of viral genetic material (RNA) per milliliter of blood. High viral load is often seen in people who have been infected for a long time. People who acquired HCV because of a needle also tend to have high viral load. Viral load is not related to the amount of liver damage, or to how sick someone is. However, people with low HCV-RNA may have a better chance of treatment success.

http://www.hepatitis.va.gov/patient/faqs/meaning-of-viral-load.asp

Maybe another person can post info with studies that show this.
I'm stage 1 fibrosis geno type 1a I've had a liver biopsy and an eye exam before treatment what my doctor told me from the results was that there was little inflammation I believe I got the virus from sharing a needle because I can't really think of anything else. I'm on 180 Mcg of pegasys And 1000mgs of RIBA tomorrow will be day 10 I hope my whole treatment goes smoothly like the last week has been until then I'm so grateful for the time
It sounds like you're doing great with little/no side effects.  Such great news that you have stage 1 fibrosis (F-1).  You have made a good decision to treat early before you develop more fibrosis.  Way to go!
Advocate1955
hi really pleased for you that you are not getting side effects make the most of it! Just want to wish you good luck with blood test and i hope you are und please let us all know
In the olden days I had a very low vl. But I responded terribly. I had to treat for 72 weeks...but it worked. Svr for 7 years.
Thank you so much every one I will keep you posted:)
to keep sx light make sure you drink LOTS of water and try to get some exercise.  i did 48 weeks and i worked out 3x/weekly.  it really helped me.  even when i didn't feel like it i still pushed myself to at least do low impact exercise.  good luck.  belle