Hepatitis C Community
Viral load of 1 1/2 million

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Viral load of 1 1/2 million

I just found out about a month ago that I have Hepatitis C. Probably have had it since 1980. When my gall bladder was removed in 2000, the surgeon said my liver had some cirrosis (cirrhosis), but did niot say to what extent & from what...as I do not, have not ever been a big or heavy drinker, but I am diabetic.  I have since found out that my viral load is 150 million, & I'm geno type 1. My gastroenterologist says she needs to do a liver biopsy before the "treatment". She wrote down the medications. They are Rebetol & Pegintron. She said Very close monitoring would be needed as this "treatreament is VERY harsh with possible severe side effects". What does viral load mean & all of this sounds rather intense. I'm only 49 & have 2 sons, 12 & 20 & new hubby(tested negative), PLEASE HELP!!!!!Karen
I was diagnosed with hep c Geno type 3 in 2004 with a viral load of 2 million.   I took the interferon and ribarvarin combo for 6 months....if it makes you feel bad it is working.   I felt bad but after six months my liver function was almost normal readings and my viral load was nothing.    At that time they could not detect anything under 800,000.   So me being sort of hard headed and I did not want to take the shot and pills anymore I stopped.   My Doctor said it would be better if you take it a full year, just to be sure.   I did not listen.   After six months it came back.    Then I had to take it for another full year.   It has been three years now and my viral load has been under 200,000. the whole time.   But still there and capable of mutating or changing itself to do it's thing.
I stopped all drinking and partying.   I take a product called Hep Helper...I like it.   It has helped my numbers.    My advise for you is if you feel sick when taking the interferon and ribarvarin it's working.   Take it as long as you can stand it or as long as the Doctor says.  I should have.   Take care of your self, eat good, don't drink or do drugs.  
You will get better!
Yes I go along with treatment-sooner the better,look at your lifestyle also-diet and exercise are important.Treatment can be harsh for some people but not everyone and symptoms can be managed anyway.Take full responsibility in this process now, educate yourself about the disease and try to ensure your health care and treatment providers are the best you can get. Try to stay positive seeing this as a challenge rather than a sentence.
Good luck
Hammond
Very old intitial post--