Hepatitis C Community
Vitamin D and HCV

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Vitamin D and HCV

Hepatology. 2011 Jul 25. doi: 10.1002/hep.24575. [Epub ahead of print]

Vitamin-D: An innate antiviral agent suppressing Hepatitis C virus in human hepatocytes.

Molecular Hepatology Research Laboratory, Felsenstein Medical Research Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel-Aviv University.

Abstract

Vitamin-D supplementation was reported to improve the probability of achieving a sustained-virological-response when combined with antiviral treatment against Hepatitis C Virus (HCV). Our aim was to determine the in-vitro potential of vitamin-D to inhibit HCV infectious virus production and explore the mechanism(s) of inhibition. Here we show that vitamin-D(3) remarkably inhibits HCV production in Huh7.5 hepatoma cells. These cells express CYP27B1, the gene encoding for the enzyme responsible for the synthesis of the vitamin-D hormonally active metabolite, calcitriol. Treatment with vitamin-D(3) resulted in calcitriol production and induction of calcitriol target gene CYP24A1, indicating that these cells contain the full machinery for vitamin-D metabolism and activity. Notably, treatment with calcitriol resulted in HCV inhibition. Collectively, these findings suggest that vitamin-D(3) has an anti-viral activity which is mediated by its active metabolite. This anti-viral activity involves the induction of interferon signaling pathway resulting in expression of interferon-β and the interferon-stimulated gene, MxA. Intriguingly, HCV infection increased calcitriol production by inhibiting CYP24A1 induction, the enzyme responsible for the first step in calcitriol catabolism. Importantly, the combination of vitamin-D(3) or calcitriol and interferon-α synergistically inhibited viral production. Conclusion: This study demonstrates for the first time a direct anti-viral effect of vitamin-D in an in-vitro infectious virus production system. It proposes an interplay between the hepatic vitamin-D endocrine system and HCV, suggesting that vitamin-D has a role as natural anti-viral mediator. Importantly, our study implies that vitamin-D might have an interferon sparing effect thus improving antiviral treatment of HCV-infected patients. (HEPATOLOGY 2011.).

Copyright © 2011 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21793032
Thanks Mike. I am definitely adding vit D to my treatment this time!!
Mike,
I see in the conclusion that this study was done "in vitro" vs "in vivo".  Does this mean the study was done outside of the body?  Since it only lists the abstract, its hard to understand the testing protocol.  I might not be understanding this correctly.

Sounds very promising.  Thanks for posting.  
Good article.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Next time you have a blood draw have your doctor do the Vitamin D test. It will tell you if your level is low or not. Mine was low so UCSF transplant center told me to take 5000mg per day which I have been doing for months now. Apparently patients with HCV can have deficiencies in vitamin D.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Vitamin D Deficiency Is Frequent In Chronic Hepatitis C And Affects The Outcome Of Interferon-alfa Based Therapy"
46th EASL Congress, Berlin, Germany
March 30‐April 3, 2011
http://www.hivandhepatitis.com/2010_conference/easl/docs/0518_2010_b.html

One group was given 1000-4000 IU/day vitamin D3, enough to bring serum levels up to 32 ng/mL.

Results:
44% of participants receiving vitamin D achieved rapid virological response (undetectable HCV at week 4), compared with 18% in the control group (P < 0.0001).
94% of participants in the vitamin D group achieved complete early virological response (undetectable HCV at week 12), compared with 48% in the control group (P < 0.0001).
85% of patients in the vitamin D group achieved SVR, compared with 43% in the control group (P < 0.001).
Adverse events were mostly mild and were typical of those associated with pegylated interferon/ribavirin (mainly flu-like symptoms).
No serious adverse events were reported.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hector
I'm adding the D. Whoa! Those are some good numbers. I'm gonna ask for a lab too at my 4 weeks. Thanks guys for the leg up on stats. Karen
It took a 4000-6000 IU dose to finally get Joe's up to the higher end of normal.  1000 IU's for a year only had him barely in the normal range.  If he tries TX again, this will be #4 and it would be the only time his vitamin D level was in good shape.  That gives me a little extra hope.
Ev
Whoa, that's crazy. I take Vitamin D regularly but I wonder if they'll make me go off it when I start the PSI/BMS study. D: I would imagine yes, after reading this, because it could potentially inflate the numbers. Still... I want inflated numbers! lol
Isn't odd? Vitamin D we get from sunlight, but then we're told to not get out there in the sun to much because of the effects of the tx. Such an odd demon this disease
If I were in charge of a study, I'd want to recruit people with good 25 hydroxy (Vitamin D) levels.

For sure the trials should be tracking 25 hydroxy.  If in fact 25 hydroxy is having a positive effect, one would want to be able to analyze the impact of the DAA with and without adequate 25 hydroxy levels.

BTB
I realize this is an old post.  Saying that I just found an interesting post on the Hep B forum where members there are trying to use Vit D to reduce their viral load.  I thought it might help someone here.

This may be apples and oranges however it include the liver and humans so I thought it might help someone.
Maybe this is why I relapsed the first time. between high sugar, low VitD Low B12 it all may have contributed

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-B/Normal-vit-D-levels-are-associated-with-hbsag--seroclearance-/show/1973566?page=1