Hepatitis C Community
Vitamin deficiency and Hep C

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Vitamin deficiency and Hep C

Hi, I was diagnosed 11 years ago with Hep C.  In 2002, I had a biopsy with results of: grade 3/4, stage 3/4 with bridging fibrosis.  My doctor said that wasnt too good and has had my liver functions tested every six months since.
Recently, I was sent to an endocrinologist (wondering why), she did a complete blood work up.. glucose, etc.  I was told I have diabetes which I was already aware of (I keep it under control by diet luckily).  I was also told that I have a severe Vit. D deficiency and it is a result of my liver not breaking it down for bodily assorption....    I have been placed on a LARGE dose once a week for the next six months when I go to see the specialist again.
What I am wondering is: has anybody else had this happen and what were the long-term results for them?
Vitamin D deficiency is a pretty common issue among those with Hep C. There are several threads on this site regarding it. I don't know that there are any "long term effects" from it, as long as you get the levels up to where they should be.

What I am curious about is that your biopsy results those grades/stages are pretty far along - their certainly not minimal - did your doctor not suggest treating this disease?

You might want to consider asking your physician if the time is right to try and stop this disease.

Good luck.
Yes.  I had 3/4 liver damage too and had undiagnosed vitamin D deficiency due to my liver being unable to convert vitamin D to the form that was useable by the body to maintain bones.  I then had the situation worsen by having long term malabsorption caused by a medication (diarrhea keeps gut from being able to absorb vit. D).  I cleared the virus and liver got well enough to process the vitamin, but malabsorption problem continued long enough to cause considerable bone loss.  A bone scan showed considerable bone loss and bloodtest showed only 32 for vit. D level (normal is 30-80).

I take fosamax to slow down bone break down and am on 2000 units vitamin D plus 1500 mg of calcium to provide plenty of building materials to restore the lost bone mass. My vitamin D3 level is now up to nearly 43 and I feel confident that bone is repairing.  It took a couple of months on high D to normalize everything and stop the bone loss.  The good news is that bone loss from Vit. D deficiency is completely repairable.  Probably a good idea to treat the Hep C if possible so that your liver can do a better job of turning vitamin D into it's bone-friendly form.
Thank you for sharing with me.  I went through tx. 3 times, I had SVR in Oct.99; then the Dragon flared again in 2002 (that's when the biopsy finally got done).  My first doctor I was sent to was a CLASS A jerk who never explained a thing to me and told me I was "too fat" for a liver biopsy; this of course, enraged my new and present doctor who ordered everything done that should have been to begin with!
Anyway, I unfortunately failed to clear with tx's 2 and 3, and my viral load actually started climbing, my platelets were bottoming out and I was sicker than I had ever been.  So, now I'm monitored every six months (for cancer, and other problems) in the event I don't come in first with a new symptom(s) present.
But, I am okay in general for the stage I'm at, and I just do whatever I have to do (such as a healthy diet, getting plenty of rest, etc.) to keep myself as well as possible.  I am grateful that I still am able to work full-time at a sit-down job.  I have also been able to use what I am going through to testify before the House Legislative Committe where I live on  behalf of others who have Hep C.
Again, thank you both for your input to help me in my journey fighting this Dragon!