Vitamins and treament
Has anyone had success adding higher doses of vitamins to your treatment regimen?  I found some articles on B12 and Vitamin D.  
http://www.hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/vitamin-b12-supplements-may-help-treat-hepatitis.html
http://www.hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/vitamin-d-and-treatment.html

Also found lots on vitamin C, but was unable to find any verification, or personal endorsment.

I am taking some vitamin C (4000 mg / day ) My doc gladly gives me a shot of B12 (1000 mg) weekly, and I now am taking vit D (2000 mg/ day ).
Shyrl
Hey there!  Like you I had seen articles about B12 helping during tx.  Also Vitamin D.  You must have a good doctor if he/she is giving you B12 injections.  I found that the B12 also helped my leg pain quite a bit.  Like you I took the injections and D during tx.  I also watched my sugar very carefully a I had read about insulin resistance to interferon.
Good luck ! :)
Sounds like you have a great doc. The D3 is known to help with sustained viral response and I took it the whole time. B12 is still a daily just for energy!

It is hard to research Vit C - I guess it confuses the search engines with the 2 C's. Maybe someone will have some info. I can't find my research right now. Brain fog..
xo Karen Hoyt:)
Thank you for your reply,

Yes Dee and so far you are having a good result, and that is the mission here.  Thanks too for advice on sugar, knowing its bad for my liver did not know about insulance resistance.  That I did not know, and sugar is my downfall.  I have such a sweet tooth!  So I'll keep a better watch on my intake.  So far my glucose is okay, but whatever I have to do.

I do feel like I have a good hep Team and GP team, as they are in comunication with each other as well.  For example i picked up blood work today that was recv'd by hep nurse and forwarded same day to GP, where I just got my B12 shot, approved by Hep Doc.  Another example is I can txt my Hep nurse at any time directly.  She usually gets back to me within a few minutes.

The only thing I find frustrating about both my medical teams is that they do not often just offer information beyond gerneral stuff.  I have to bring it up and be prepared with questions or my own findings on internet.  Example, the studies on vitamins, and studies on IL28B. In regards to GT 3 and IL28b, my hep nurse was aware of difficulties and gene types, but did not offer info.

So although they are very efficient I also have to be informed.  So I am thankfull for all the information and experience I find here.
Shyrl
Look, I'd just be careful adding vitamins to your treatment regime willy nilly. I blindly took advice from others here, and started to take VitD and VitC. Didn't seem like a bad thing to do.. My other vitamin levels etc went wildly out of sync. For a start, my iron and ferratin levels are way, way over, and although I am anemic, taking vitC really stuffed up my body. Strange bowel habits etc. The VitD began to throw other things out of wack. calcium levels went way up and my creatine levels went up. I stopped, and everything went back to 'normal'.
Unfortunately, depending on where you live, your body may not need extra VitD. And the sx of taking more VitD than you need are so like treatment sx you may not tell. decreased appetite, increased urination, nausea, tinnitus, vertigo, metallic taste, daytime sleepiness, urinary tract infections etc.
I am my own advocate now, and will research everything.
I believe it is best to try and get what you need vitamin wise during therapy through the foods you eat. Smoothies and fresh juices are great ways to pack in stuff.
I think the information on this sight is wonderful and without parallel, but I just want to say be careful. If you don't need something, then don't just take it coz you heard it or read it. research it and watch for how it affects you.

Thank you for your reply, just to clarify , that I was taking vitamins, with doc approval, before I found this forum.  So not on advice of anyone here.  .  I was just shouting out to see if anyone had experience, and I thank you asle for yours as well.
My labs were a little off, mainly hemaglobin, RBC and WBC, but fixed with Eprex.  
I just want to do this!
Thank you everyone too for your experience.
Hi there,
For me the most important thing was drinking coffee. I knew coffee was helpful and I was grateful that I could still drink it.
I did not have the best diet on tx. and took vit D and calcium and some C. Also took biotin for my hair. Most important thing is to let your doc know what you're taking. I did eat sweets but my blood glucose was never over 100.
Wish you the best,
C
Hi the first time I treated with SOC and a trial drug.  I did not know very much at all and depended on my doctor to take care of me I did not know he was a trial doctor, neither did my GP.  She just knew he was a Hepatologist..  After I finished the tx, I relapsed within 6 weeks.

I came on here and I learned so much that I found that because I have diabetes that could have affected my interferon/tx and also found that my Vitamin D was low.  Through experience I found that the B12 helped my leg pain from cyroglobulinemia and as time went on found that it could help my energy.
I supplemented during the second tx.  My doctor was aware of everything I took as I had to write down what I was taking every month.
I finished tx 17 months ago and I have been SVR since my 4th week.
I have cirrhosis so that last tx had to work.  I thank God that it did.

Thank you
Dee
I am right there with you on the sweet tooth.  I was like a 5 year old with no supervision until I found out I had diabetes.
I was right on the line when it was discovered.
My first doctor did not know anything about the insulin resistance (IR) and how it could affect the tx.  I often wondered if it would have helped me if I had watched the sugar better.

Again, I have to say you have good doctors.  I know what you mean though, if I don't ask questions my doctor does not bring it up new information at all.

My best to you
Thank you so much for those URL's really good information

This is consistent with previous  studies done on patients with genotype 1,
which showed that vitamin D deficiency  is  universal (92%) among patients
with chronic liver disease, and at least  one-third of the patients have severe
vitamin D deficiency - See more at: http://www.hepatitiscnewdrugresearch.com/vitamin-d-and-treatment.html#sthash.bYNngIRx.dpuf
Dee,
Once I found put put I had Hep C, I started educating myself, reading studies.

Yes Swimmer,
I saw the the coffee one also and it also related to genotype 3, and was glad to see that as I drink coffee every morn.  

Oh my sweet tooth, ugg.  I could pass on dinner and eat cake, lol.  But I don't.
I'm also noticing some other benefits from my vits, I think anyway, and maybe treatment,  ie: nails are growing again.  Doc had no explaination.  They started getting brittle and breaking about 8 yrs ago. . . Prob from Hep C.  Also my skin has started to hydrate!  it was drying and cracking, bleading (always had band aids on fingers).  Also started about 7 or 8 yrs ago.  Doc called it contact dermatitis.  
Shyrl
And well in Canada we are also known for lack of vit D. . . But I wish I had found the info on Vit D beofore starting treatment, as is I found it at about Wk 4, and started right away,
Back to sugar, My docs were checking me almost yearly for diabetes, I guess  that some of the Hep symtoms, emulate some diabetic symtoms, ie tired and general malaise and such, or maybe they were just guessing, but my fasting tests were okay.  Thank goodness for me anyway.
Best to your contineud SVR and really I don't know what I would be doing wihout this forum, it is a wealth of information.   If I have a symtom or concern I can just search this forum and read previous threads.

Thanks for the link.  There is a lot a good info at this site.  
I'm also concidering continuing B12 after treatment.  Can't hurt as far as energy goes.  And prob what is helping my nails. Although I doubt the men would notoce things like nail strength, I'm happy to have my nails back.  
I would use caution when taking vitamins and supplements.
Here is an article summarizing many studies and trials.
There is big business behind them and a lot of hoopla.
I personally take them only on a temporary basis when the lab tests show deficit of a particular kind of a vitamin or supplement.
Otherwise I am sticking to a healthy diet, fruits, veggitables, etc.

http://tinyurl.com/lhm9re2

Linus Paulin, good read, well, as I stated previous, unable to find a personal endorsement regarding vitamin C.   But has been proven that Hep C patients are deficient in some vitamins and that supplementing some such as b12 and D have benefits.
Use standardized Milk Thistle.  I am surprised that your hep doctor has not even recommended this.  If you suffer from allergies it is also great too and cholesterol.  It helps cleanse your liver.
Here is an old link about Vitamin B12 and a study how it was supposed to enhance treatment. I do not know why I was not rigorous in taking Vitamin B while I was treating. I think it was just so many meds and so many side effects that I was not persuaded or motivated enough. Now all these months later I am wondering if it would have helped for other reasons.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Hepatitis-C/vit-b12-improves-intf-response-on-hcv/show/1780201
Thanks, and going to do more investigation on, vit A as well.
I'm not going to look up anything.  I'm going to tell you that I bought into the whole B-12 hype and treatment.  First of all you should be tested by your doctor to see if your low in B-12.  If your not low in B-12 don't take it.  I went the whole nine yards and went to the doctor and insisted that I needed B-12
shots to assist with my treatment.  My B-12 levels were in range and to be honest with you...it made me fell worse.  I don't think you should take something your body doesn't need.  This experience confirmed that belief.

DWBH
Research:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120718074031.htm
Research on vitamin D and fibrosis:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/04/130425160125.htm
Hi I think you are doing an excellent job, being proactive
After i relapsed the first time I was determined to learn all I could about what I could do to help the next tx work better.
I found a lot of good information studies on insulin causing interferon resistance. My vitamin D was low as was my B12.  The B12 really helped me with leg pain I was experiencing.  I believe it all helped me get to SVR.
I am wishing the best for you
Dee
Thanks for your support Dee.