Hepatitis C Community
Vitamins

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Vitamins

Hi:

I was just at Whole Foods and picked up a natural multivitamin that is iron-free and free of vitamin K (Rainbow Light "Just Once").  I was surprised to find one w/out iron & K.  I wanted to open up a discussion to not only share this info, but to find out if others have suggestions re: vitamins/supplements.  Are there any other specific concerns about multi-vitamins for Hep C+ people, not currently under tx?  

Thanks.  
I was told to continue taking my normal regimen, which includes a multi, a pretty hefty calcium, vitamin D (I was deficient in that one according to tests ordered by my Primary doc), Omega 3,6, 9, and Green food (usually take if I have been bad with my veggies).  I have had vitamins without iron before, look for a men's formula. I have never had problems with anemia, and prefer not to be constipated (side effect of iron), thus the men's vitamins. My current one does have iron and I'm thinking might be a good thing, so hopefully I don't get anemic from Tx.  Open to thoughts on that one, it is just a guess on my part, that it's a bit preventative.  I haven't heard any concerns about vitamins and supplements for Hep C people but I haven't really looked either and have always been open with my doctors' about both my Hep C and my supplements. I'm generally very healthy, too, so tend to think of myself as a normal person who just happens to have Hep C that is probably progressing very slowly.  I'm curious on this topic, too.  Could prove interesting. Thanks for starting it!
i dont do the multi for women because of the iron also

my daily supplements consist of vitamin C, super B complex, calcium and magnesium, max milk thistle and something call LIV-52... contains capers, chicory, black nightshade, arjuna, yarrow some other stuff - supposedly been around since 1955 and validated by clinical trials, approved as an herbal drug in switzerland blah blah blah im not trying to sell it ... swear.... this is what it says it does... i only know my ast/alt have been almost normal range since i started with it and the MT, but they were never very high in the first place so... who knows, im prob just wasting my money but whatever...

Liv-52 restores the functional efficiency of the liver by protecting the hepatic parenchyma and promoting hepatocellular regeneration. The antiperoxidative activity of Liv-52 prevents the loss of functional integrity of the cell membrane, maintains cytochrome P-450, hastens the recovery period and ensures early restoration of hepatic functions in infective hepatitis. Liv-52 facilitates rapid elimination of acetaldehyde, the toxic intermediate metabolite of alcohol metabolism, and ensures protection from alcohol-induced hepatic damage. Liv-52 diminishes the lipotropic activity in chronic alcoholism, and prevents fatty infiltration of the liver. In pre-cirrhotic conditions, Liv-52 arrests the progress of the disease and prevents further liver damage

im wondering, should i be taking vitamin D also???  anyone???

im with anni, very good thread idea thanks for posting m
My doctor had me tested for the Vitamin D because I work indoors and regularly use a heavy duty sunscreen. You do need about 15-20 minutes a day of unprotected sun to metabolize vitamin D.  She said absorbing it through my arms is OK. I worry about the aging effects of the sun on my face, and want to continue to use sunscreen on my face.  My result was actually only one below the normal range, so not bad.  I read the vitamin D bottle and it said vitamin D supports a healthy immune system, so I figured that Tx can compromise the immune system, maybe another preventative measure.