Hepatitis C Community
WOULD BENZOCAINE(USED TOPICALLY) RESULT IN A POSITIVE DRUG TEST?

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

IF A URINE TEST IS GIVEN AFTER APPLYING TOPICALLY BEZOCAINE RESULT IN A POSITIVE READING FOR COCAINE OR OTHER NARCOTIC?
think you posted in the wrong forum. but i'm pretty sure work place drug tests look for specific drugs. and benzocaine is not a illegal drug, now if it was benzoCOCAINE then you would have a problem :-)
and the stigma continues.People must figure..Hey who better to ask..than a bnch of ex or current hep druggies. Who knows...maybe just an honest mistake? Who cares, right?
the biggest reason i did not want to tell anyone was for my 9 yr old. i was afraid that her friends parents would not let theirs kids come over our house. i know some of you would say well that is their problem, but i can not take that chance. maybe i will feel different in the future but right now it is closed lips.
how true, i was thinking the same thing. and this is why i have elected to tell NO one except my wife that i have HCV. everyone assumes the same thing, that if you have HCV then you are/were a junkie!
   Your decision to tell is yours to make,no prob. here.  But I decided to not hide it but try educate .  Lucky , here in Hawaii there is very little stigma  to it . We worry more about T.B.  and bird flu.   With  a large military population (retired and active duty)  I just want people to know that there is a very big chance,, some one you know has it !  "1 out of 10 military vets. have hep C "!!  They were not all Junkies .     Aloha  R.
                                                         U.S. Army 74-77.
                 +++      All Veterans honorably discharged are tested  Free. Treatment costs depend on your income. (I will have to pay $ 14.oo  x 48 weeks for meds. all else free.)  Contact your local vet affairs office/ Mil.Hospital.     sorry all ,had to throw that in.  
  Thanks, I had not thought of that point. Hopefully a misplaced Ques. But i will be watching future posts for that.  R.
I totally understand.
I'm of the belief that we must educate the masses.

I tell everyone...

I have had mixed reactions. But the number one thing they ask is how did you get it?

I'm like:

Oh I was this really high paid hooker who shot up every drug under the sun and I happened to share needles with Tommy Lee and Pamela Anderson - and I lost my millions of dollars and got this lovely disease instead.

It usually gets their attention

Then I wink and I tell them that I probably got it from a medical surgery or a shot of rhogam - and I explain everything I can until they stop edging away slowly.

Some take it well - some do not.

But I don't care - I've passed whatever knowledge that I can to them.

I make sure I let them know it is a blood to blood disease... and that they can't get it from kissing, hugging, shaking hands, sharing sodas, breathing the same air - or from being 5 feet away from me.

I tell them that there are millions of people in the world with the disease and that it's a sad thing - but very few people know about it... or anything about it.

Then I answer what questions they may have.

If they haven't run far far far away. LOL!

But you know - I almost went the other way... I almost kept my silence.

Because I live in a small town - and for exactly the same reasons you choose to keep silent...

But I realized I had a responsibility to myself - my family and to others. That I need to be able to pass the word.

Meki
Sorry - I am in agreement with LadyWhy and last post was for copyman.

I'm a dork on the comment to part.

Especially 42 hr no sleep now. LOL!

Meki
Reg. telling people. I have recently decided to be more open about it. If people judge me and have a problem with it...so what! I shared with this acquaintance I just met...she has had it too! I figure I might be able to benefit others and I do NOT want to feel ashamed. I'm not gonna go around with a sign board..but I will tell more people and maybe help educate and maye be a blessing to others. I have lived with other things I was ashamed of and tried to keep it a secret...it was too painful...so I let it go. There is a quote I've heard. "You are as sick as your secrets." We are all students here..gettin' an education. It's called LIFE.
God Bless you both today!
Yvonne
Not only do I tell everybody, but I tell them to get tested because they may very well have hcv too.  I don't know how I got it - none of the usual risk factors, but I suspect sharp tools at my job.  This virus can infect anybody, even those who want to make rash judgements.