Hepatitis C Community
Washing Clothes Blood Stains

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Washing Clothes Blood Stains

Hi there.

I don't know much about Hepatitis C or HIV but I have this question to ask you guys. If someones clothes have blood on them who has Hepatitis C or HIV, is there any risk of the blood washing off the bloody clothes and on to my own in the same wash? Or would the washing machine drain away all blood? I ask this only because I have heard blood when dried can be a risk for Hep C and if it did some how get back on the clothes would that be a risk or not?

I am also thinking Hepatitis C or HIV would not have a chance in the washing machine, right? lol.

Sorry for the questions, i know they sound crazy but I just wanted to know.
can someone answer?
DON'T KNOW THAT ONE BUT RAZORS ARE RINSED TOO AND THEY WILL PASS
Hepatitis C only lives for a few hours outside of the body. After that blood would not be infectious if dried. However whole blood that is refrigerated for weeks is still contagious if it is administered intravenously, as in a transfusion. That used to happen before the blood supply was cleaned up in 1992. DTD

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Hepatitis/Archive/HepCtest/Q19823.html
But I was wondering about washing clothes in the same mechine. Is that safe?
I have heard it is very low risk of getting Hep C from shearing a razor.
From only a guess, if the virus lives only a few hours. By the time the person took off the clothes, they went through the wash cycle and then the dry cycle and into the closet for even a day. No. Even if they skipped the closet step. That is a two hour process right there. And I would think the heat from the dryer would finish off anything left. Make sense?
I think that the risk of the washer is even less. Again that is my opinion.
it's a blood to blood disease...if I were to touch someone's blood who has hep c, I wouldn't be that concerned that it would go across my skin into my bloodstream, unless I had a cut on my finger, etc...if it was able to go across dry skin, they'd have evidence of that, and they just don't....bodily fluids are more controversial, but many researches believe that this is blood to blood...
Ok thanks for the answers. The only person that I thought could have it in my famly is my dad, but I doubt it. He is 67 years old and very fit for his age and never had any real health problems.
Hepatitis C virus can live outside the body for days if not weeks. Even dried blood can show the virus. HIV is different and cannot live long outside the body but HCV definitely can.
To answer your question you have nothing to worry about with washing your clothes with someone that has HIV or HCV. What you may have to worry about is your obvious phobias :-)
:)
I was also told to clean any blood w/ Bleach, if on a surface, clean w/ bleach and after 10 mins. there is no risk.  M4now