Hepatitis C Community
Water Retention

This forum is for questions about medical issues and research aspects of Hepatitis C such as, questions about being newly diagnosed, questions about current treatments, information and participation in discussions about research studies and clinical trials related to Hepatitis. If you would like to communicate with other people who have been touched by Hepatitis, please visit our new Hepatitis Social/Living with Hepatitis forum

Water Retention

Does anyone suffer from water retention because of Hep C (pre tx)? I am Stage 1, grade 1  1b. It's mainly around my ankles.

The doctor said it might be my age (41) or could be the virus changing my enzymes.
I had edema (water retention) early in TX.  I found that my blood pressure was elevated, causing the edema.  I was put on Toprol XL 25mg (a beta blocker).   This has helped immensely.  Have you had your blood pressure taken?  This might be a good place to begin.
hepC_avenger
I have had water retention problems and been on lasix for over a year. But I had liver failure. They also gave me aldactate at first because it keeps the potassium in body, not in urine. If you take lasix, you have to take pottasium chloride. I think it depends on how much liver damage you have, what would cause the problem, but there are solutions that don't hurt your liver.   Joni
I've had fluid on my lower legs for a few years now, I'm into week 3 of Tx now & its still same... Its a Hep-C thing retaining fluid especialy ankles .....
I agree that it (edema/water retention) shouldn't be blamed on the HepC.  I also found that I couldn't blame my edema on the meds, which I initially tried to do.  I thought the high blood pressure and swelling were a side effect of the Pegasys or Copegus.  I found out that the treatment doesn't cause the problem of high blood pressure unless there is an underlying circulatory or heart problem, most likely a hereditary thing, as in my case.  I'm just glad to know there are drugs available to help.  
hepC_avenger
I would agree with Erin PA that this ankle swelling shouldnt be blamed on HepC... 99% of the time it is due to heart/circulatory/blood pressure probs.  Get it checked out with a good doc.   OHC67
I would be hesitant to blame this on your Hep C.  You have only minimal disease and this should not be affecting your water balance (such as one with Liver failure).  Talk to your doc, dont let them put this off on Hep C.

GI.PA
Hi, so pleased to read your message's I have Hep C and since the last treatment I did I have suffered with in explained weight gain.
I went from 11 stone 2011 to 16.11 this year and I just came back from holiday and have fluid retention-I have lost 11 pounds since the 1st July but yesterday went up five pounds and had not over eaten. I have been looking for someone to talk to who's experienced this, so thanks for talking. I hope your still on here. At the mo they are checking my thyroid but I am worried as I'm not due in treatment again til April, my belly looks pregnant and I've had kidney failure before.
All of my checks from doctors so far have come back ok, I've always watched my weight and I have had people notice at my old work and talk about it which hurt my feelings. Glad to meet you all.

This is a ten year old thread. I suggest you may want to post a new question by going to the top right of the page and select the green post a question link that way more people will see your question and help with suggestions